Annual insurance trawl...

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
OB1

Re: Annual insurance trawl...

Post by OB1 »

I got the renewal letter from Carole Nash again the other week: I have a multi-bike policy with my 2014 Tiger 800 XCx covered fully comp for 10,000 miles and my 2019 CRF250 Rally covered fully comp for 2,000 miles. The renewal came in at £155 for the pair.

However, I'm selling the Tiger and only need to cover the CRF so I give them a call and go through the usual stuff of telling them everything they should already know if they could be bothered to actually read... he even started to process the insurance for the Tiger after I told him that I was selling it! I gave him all the details of the CRF, even though it was already insured through CN and told him that the annual mileage would be around 12,000 miles... the same as the two bikes combined.

After a bit of time on hold, he comes back with a quote for £290... :lol:

I explain that I'm 51 years old and have had a bike licence for 35 years, with no convictions or claims for over 5 years and something like 6 years NCD. His explanation was that it was a high quote because of the mileage that I do: anything over 10,000 miles needs to be referred and some companies will not quote for anything above that. It makes me wonder how much travellers and couriers have to pay when they're doing such high mileage.

I told him that I wouldn't be renewing and to let the insurance lapse on the 22nd. I then went on the Carole Nash website, put in all of the same details and got a fully comprehensive cover for £165...
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

So it costs 10 quid more to insure 1 bike to cover the same mileage that you insure 2 bikes for?
And that makes sense how? :shock: :lol: :lol:
OB1

Post by OB1 »

qcnr wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:29 am So it costs 10 quid more to insure 1 bike to cover the same mileage that you insure 2 bikes for?
And that makes sense how? :shock: :lol: :lol:

Oh, I agree, it doesn't make sense but I'm happy to pay £165 considering the mileage that I do and the fact that CN covers European breakdown, etc.

If I was one of those bikers who just did a couple of thousand miles a year, just coming out on a dry, sunny Sunday afternoon, I'd want cheaper cover. I know that I'm more of a "risk" because of my higher mileage.
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
OB1

Post by OB1 »

As a check-up, I just did a comparison on GoCompare.

The cheapest came in at £125 with none of the extras offered by Carole Nash. Once you add all of that, I'm happy with paying £10 more to insure one bike than two.
justrtw.com
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

dont forget that only the main bike accrues ncd .. if tiger, then crf will have no ncd
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

the other thing is .. a quote on the internet, even when paid up by you, can be queried until everything is sorted .. eg proof of ncd (ok the crf is new .. but watch em)
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Last week Hastings renewal quote £270 ish, online £190, other companies £150 ish, rang Hastings said I'm not renewing at that price why is it cheaper online, no real answer to that, he said I can do it for £24 x 11 no deposit, I said no thanks I won't renew with you!
clutchspring

Post by clutchspring »

Not bike insurance but today I had a email from my car insurance telling me that in the event we leave the EU with no deal they would provide a green car for travelling abroad for FREE .
I very much doubt Carol Nash & the like will be offering green cards for free more like " that will be £40 + pounds sir" 😟

Ian.
OB1

Post by OB1 »

clutchspring wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:33 pm Not bike insurance but today I had a email from my car insurance telling me that in the event we leave the EU with no deal they would provide a green car for travelling abroad for FREE .
I very much doubt Carol Nash & the like will be offering green cards for free more like " that will be £40 + pounds sir" 😟

Ian.

I had the same email about my car insurance... Aviva by any chance?

A common theme on the Brexit thread is "that's how it was before, why can't it be the same again?"... Carole Nash offered the European breakdown before the current EU system so why not now? :lol:
justrtw.com
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

clutchspring wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:33 pm in the event we leave the EU with no deal they would provide a green car for travelling abroad for FREE
Excellent, very nice of them, but does it really have to be green? Surely blue with yellow stars would be more appropriate? :D

Return to “THE PUB”