Best sound proofed Flip up helmet

Does my ass look big in these?
nuttynick

Re: Best sound proofed Flip up helmet

Post by nuttynick »

I've got a Tourmax as well. I find it fairly noisy compared to my full face lids. I too had a rattling peak until I adjusted it properly, it's been fine ever since. I used it on a trip to Italy and it was great, however on my recent trip to Morocco I used my Bell MX lid with goggles as the weight off road was more of a factor. I still use it for UK road use when the mood takes me.
Stray Dog

Post by Stray Dog »

I also suffer with Tinnitus, so know your pain (ExMarine Engineer)
I can't give you a recommended for a good flip up.
But I bought a Shark Evo3.
It is the worst helmet for wind noise I've ever had.
With the flip down it's noisier than my Arai Freeway openface.
So recommend staying away from the Evo3 if ya want quiet.

Dog
Philiptigerrice

Post by Philiptigerrice »

I have to have a flip front, for my glasses - (full face lids drive me potty)

I have had some shocking lids over the years...

Currently, I have a Tourmax and I really like it! Its not too noisey for me - but one thing nobody has mentioned - is that it depends what you are riding!

If I'm out on my GSA behind that big old screen - its really quiet.... I do 12-15,000 miles a year on it - and the Tourmax is great.

But if I take my wifes ER-6f out for a quick razz .... :pinch: Its deafening!

And its all due to the fairings / screen.

The tourmax is a good un - especially when you factor in the comfort/noise to price ratio!

I think my mates about to but a Schuberth E1, and that looks a great bit of kit - but expensive - but then it might be technically a better quality lid than the Tourmax.

Anyway - consider the screen and fairings, and whether you're going to be doing big miles too (thumbs)

One critisism of my Tourmax though - its looking a little bit tatty - but - I have committed the crime of not looking after it very well I think...

Might have to try the E1 next!
Greater Manchester
R1200 GS Adv ('08)
stueydo

Post by stueydo »

nuttynick wrote:I've got a Tourmax as well. I find it fairly noisy compared to my full face lids. I too had a rattling peak until I adjusted it properly, it's been fine ever since. I used it on a trip to Italy and it was great, however on my recent trip to Morocco I used my Bell MX lid with goggles as the weight off road was more of a factor. I still use it for UK road use when the mood takes me.
I was wondering how you adjust the tourmax, as I have the same annoying vibrations from the peak.

Thhaks.
ymfb

Post by ymfb »

Allan F wrote:Got a Shoei Neotech. Nice & quiet, all day comfort. (thumbs)
Its amazing how two people (you and me) can rate the same product completely differently, I guess its proves honesty and makes it more important for the OP to try before he buys or get more feedback.
Mike101

Post by Mike101 »

I've done 50k in my schuberth C3.

For me its very comfy indeed and a nice thing to have on your head. But I find it very loud.

I wear ear plugs as well and it's still loud. All depends upon where the wind blast hits it. If its straight onto the visor then it will be loud. But lower or higher and it's ok.

Mike
And the beast shall be huge and black, and the eyes thereof red with the blood of living creatures, and the whore of Babylon shall ride forth on a three-headed serpent, and throughout the lands, there'll be a great rubbing of parts
JonnyBravo

Post by JonnyBravo »

Philiptigerrice wrote: I have to have a flip front, for my glasses - (full face lids drive me potty)

I have had some shocking lids over the years...

Currently, I have a Tourmax and I really like it! Its not too noisey for me - but one thing nobody has mentioned - is that it depends what you are riding!

If I'm out on my GSA behind that big old screen - its really quiet.... I do 12-15,000 miles a year on it - and the Tourmax is great.

The tourmax is a good un - especially when you factor in the comfort/noise to price ratio!

that's obviously the common factor - mine is quiet but I am also on a GSA !
When nothing is going right - go left
bowber

Post by bowber »

I guess my problem is that I'm after the impossible, a helmet with a good big peak (no point having one otherwise), a visor, comfy light and quiet.
Obviously the peak buggers up the noise side but I find it's far better for riding into the sun and then when you're being filled in by your mates off road it's handy to stop the mud or stones hitting your face or the visor.

I also have a Caberg Sintesi 107 and that was good but still slightly noisier than a normal road helmet, it seemed to have good noise isolation that helped with road noise but let you hear other sounds. I only stopped wearing it as it was getting a bit long in the tooth and had started creaking a lot. Ohh and the stupid visor lever on the top that leaked like a sieve when it was raining.

Steve
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

simonw wrote:There's a flip front lid test in this month's Ride magazine, as it happens.

They rated the Caberg Tourmax as 4/10 for noise (the worst lid in the test). The quietest were Shoei Neotec (8), X-Lite X-1003 (8), BMW System 6 Evo (8), Schuberth C3 Pro (8). There's 15 lids tested in total.

(You're wearing ear plugs too, right?)

EDIT: And of course there's webbikeworld which is an excellent resource for helmet reviews and information: http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle- ... elmets.htm)
Interesting. I wouldn't say my Neotec was that quiet, but it's my first flip front lid so I don't have much to compare it to. You'd hope a £470 road helmet would be quieter than a £190 Caberg with a peak though.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
Watty2016

Post by Watty2016 »

Cheers will have a look at both, would be interested in general views on this one, as I have heard that you can't ride with the flip up, so what's the point I am asking myself?

May just go for full face. :blink:

Return to “CLOTHING”