The pros and cons of a iPhone as a satnav

Bernard Smith

Re: The pros and cons of a iPhone as a satnav

Post by Bernard Smith »

moto al wrote:Ok I'm a Luddite, 3 months ago I purchased a Microsoft smart phone. A big mistake for me I couldn't work the friggin thing. So yesterday I realised I'd made a mistake. So now I have an iPhone 5 somthin too tight to buy there latest gizmo. Sorry for a long story?. Now my point how good are they to be used as a sat nav. Any tips great fully appreciate.. Ta.Al (thumbs)
Shit battery.

Shit signal.

Reader’s Digest on TOUCHING THE WORLD - “…rueful, irreverent, always incredibly vivid, unfailingly honest, a powerful love story in a book crammed with astonishing achievements.”

http://www.worldtour.org.uk

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews ... wpoints=1/
TomBoyNI

Post by TomBoyNI »

Download Nokia Here maps for your iPhone.

It is outstanding and all maps are downloadable so available offline. And it's free.

Personally I prefer and use a sat nav when out and about on the bike but have Here maps as well and it is excellent. Used it in New York and Florida as well and it was perfect.
Boo :-p

https://tbni.blog
Motorcycling | Technology | Photography
Sleepy

Post by Sleepy »

Definitely agree with 'Here' maps and 'Here Drive'... no data used at all.

The main reason I don't use them on the bike though (there are many other reasons), is that it is only any good from A to B, you cannot create multiple personalised routes that encompass lots of other waypoints, and that is the best reason for having a decent GPS device.

If your ok just following satnav directions you'll be fine.

I would only use my phone as a back up, nothing else.
MrIFan

Post by MrIFan »

Sleepy wrote:Definitely agree with 'Here' maps and 'Here Drive'... no data used at all.

The main reason I don't use them on the bike though (there are many other reasons), is that it is only any good from A to B, you cannot create multiple personalised routes that encompass lots of other waypoints, and that is the best reason for having a decent GPS device.

If your ok just following satnav directions you'll be fine.

I would only use my phone as a back up, nothing else.
You can create and save as many waypoints as you like in order to create a custom route, but it is a very long winded process compared to doing it on the computer and loading to a GPS. Also handy, if you have a good data allowance, are the free traffic alerts.
I agree entirely on only ever using the phone as a back up to a dedicated GPS though. If you buy a Garmin unit that accepts uploading of maps and routes then mapping for the entire planet is available free. So after the initial expense of unit and mount you're good to go.
peterpan241

Post by peterpan241 »

I've used a iPhone with Navmii and View Ranger. I bought a Zumo for the HISS and found there were more trails showing on View Ranger. Good case essential, I use Ultimate Addons but be very careful because they scratch very easy
Adventure before Dementia
MrIFan

Post by MrIFan »

peterpan241 wrote:I've used a iPhone with Navmii and View Ranger. I bought a Zumo for the HISS and found there were more trails showing on View Ranger. Good case essential, I use Ultimate Addons but be very careful because they scratch very easy
That's because Viewranger uses open source mapping, also available as a free download for Garmin, and far more detailed re. off tarmac routes than Garmin's own maps.
-Ralph-

The pros and cons of a iPhone as a satnav

Post by -Ralph- »

You can't beat a proper designed for the job, waterproof motorcycle sat nav IMO. Most people who say a phone in a waterproof case is just as good have never had one. I've never known anyone go back to a car sat nav or a phone having bought one. You get what you pay for.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
moto al

Post by moto al »

Thanks chaps, for all your tips. (thumbs) Al
moto al
Peirre

Post by Peirre »

I would only use a smartphone as a backup satnav, and never as my primary device.
However I do have an iPhone 6+ with Garmin uk & Ireland.
Also on the iPhone I have several Navmii maps for various European countries that I can use offline.
Btw You can now also download sectors of google maps to your phone to use offline via the app.
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

I have used NavMii as a primary sat nav on a Samsung Galaxy S5, but that was a two week holiday for three people in a Mini convertible, so even the storage space for a car sat nav device was an issue, glovebox, under seats, door bins, half the back seat, all totally rammed and the windscreen mount for the one we have in the Mini is a funny shape and takes a lot of space in the glovebox.

It wasn't great, on the hottest days it overheated. If you tried to switch apps it had crashed when you came back to NavMii, getting buttons to press on the touch screen when it was mounted on a windscreen phone holder could need several presses. Ended up either taking it off the screen mount and sorting it in my hand before putting it back up, or ignoring it and getting out the map. If I was driving it meant I had to keep stopping to sort it out.

Next time I'll take a proper sat nav.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Return to “About GPS and GPS routes”