Help, rules, advice and announcements.
bull

Re: Using quotes (intelligently) in responses

Post by bull »

special one wrote:
allanmac wrote:
bull wrote:
Tim Cullis wrote:
Tim Cullis wrote:Some of the threads on here are difficult to read as they mainly comprise posts full of quotes from previous posts.

Just in case there's any doubt on the subject, you DON'T have to always quote the post you are responding to, especially if it's the latest post on the thread. Just hit the REPLY button instead.

And if you are going to quote, be selective about what you use if the previous post is fairly wordy. Remove extraneous text that's not needed, leaving just the sentence you are responding to. You do this by editing (deleting) the text between the <quote> and </quote> commands.
What I've done here is to respond to the first post using the QUOTE button.

Now feel free to use this thread to experiment in response editing.

Hit the QUOTE button to respond to this post and edit the text that you are quoting leaving just the words 'feel free to use this thread' from the second post on the thread.

Hint: this will involve removing one of the sets of <quote> and </quote> commands.

am I doing it right :P
Maybe not (thumbs)

Cheers Allan
I think you're both doing a grand job (thumbs)

thanks, i think we are getting the hang of it now :P
Bluepaul

Post by Bluepaul »

So this is wrong ?
bull wrote:
special one wrote:
allanmac wrote:
bull wrote:
Tim Cullis wrote:
Tim Cullis wrote:Some of the threads on here are difficult to read as they mainly comprise posts full of quotes from previous posts.

Just in case there's any doubt on the subject, you DON'T have to always quote the post you are responding to, especially if it's the latest post on the thread. Just hit the REPLY button instead.

And if you are going to quote, be selective about what you use if the previous post is fairly wordy. Remove extraneous text that's not needed, leaving just the sentence you are responding to. You do this by editing (deleting) the text between the <quote> and </quote> commands.

Hit the QUOTE button to respond to this post and edit the text that you are quoting leaving just the words 'feel free to use this thread' from the second post on the thread.

Hint: this will involve removing one of the sets of <quote> and </quote> commands.

Maybe not (thumbs)

Cheers Allan

allanmac

Post by allanmac »

Bluepaul wrote:So this is wrong ?
bull wrote:
special one wrote:
allanmac wrote:
bull wrote:
Tim Cullis wrote:

Maybe not (thumbs)

Cheers Allan

Apparently so (thumbs)

Cheers Allan
bull

Post by bull »

allanmac wrote:
bull wrote:
special one wrote:
allanmac wrote:
bull wrote:
Tim Cullis wrote:

What I've done here is to respond to the first post using the QUOTE button. [quote

Maybe not (thumbs)

Cheers Allan

Apparently so (thumbs)

Cheers Allan[/quote]

how about this (thumbs)

or have i done that already :P
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

It was more of an issue when we were using dial up modems and paying for the amount we downloaded but that's not really an issue now and poor quoting is better than a random comment where nobody knows who it's aimed at.

Back in the days when news groups were more commonly used there used to be some fantastic battles where users were paying to see someones ridiculous signature and the ones with the 10 line signatures refused to change them :laugh:

I still shake my head in dismay sometimes when I'm away on holiday and find that my limited allowance has just been blown to pieces by a picture of someones bike as a signature but that's another matter.
PaulG

Post by PaulG »

Took me a while to find the Quote button! :S

One thing I have noticed, particularly on Advrider, is that someone will post say 6 photos and the next person who replies includes the same 6 photos before adding any text. That's a lot of scrolling, and data, before you even get to the important bit.

Comments?

Paul :)
allanmac

Post by allanmac »

bull wrote:
allanmac wrote:
bull wrote:
special one wrote:
allanmac wrote:
bull wrote:
Tim Cullis wrote:

What I've done here is to respond to the first post using the QUOTE button. [quote

Maybe not (thumbs)

Cheers Allan

Apparently so (thumbs)

Cheers Allan

how about this (thumbs)

or have i done that already :P[/quote]

Maybe you have I'm not sure :whistle:

Cheers Allan
IndigoSteve

Using quotes (intelligently) in responses

Post by IndigoSteve »

allanmac wrote:
bull wrote:
allanmac wrote:
bull wrote:
special one wrote:
allanmac wrote:
bull wrote:
Tim Cullis wrote:

Maybe not (thumbs)

Cheers Allan

Apparently so (thumbs)

Cheers Allan

how about this (thumbs)

or have i done that already :P
Maybe you have I'm not sure :whistle:

Cheers Allan[/quote]

I'm lost !! There's so many ways you can fall foul of the online "quote" etiquette "quote" laws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

PaulG wrote:
One thing I have noticed, particularly on Advrider, is that someone will post say 6 photos and the next person who replies includes the same 6 photos before adding any text. That's a lot of scrolling, and data, before you even get to the important bit.

Comments?

Paul :)
I was going to say exactly this (re ADVRider). Someone starts a thread about their bike (the subject could not be more clear), includes a pile of images then they are quoted with all the images half a dozen times or more, and the only text included is something like " great!" :angry: What's the point? Quoting is used to respond directly to a person so it's clear who're specifically you're responding TO but in the case when the thread is about one thing only, and you're responding to the original poster about the subject, a simple "Great!" would do. Irritating.
special one

Post by special one »

While we're on the moan, I also find big sigs on people's posts annoying, links galore or big photos, the sigs are bigger than any text they post, a forum I'm a mod on don't allow big sigs and I'm in agreement with it.
Current bikes...

2003 KTM 950 adventure in silvery blue...

2013 KTM 450 exc-f in orange /white

2007 Scorpa SY250 trials in blue.

Return to “WEBSITE AND FORUM STUFF”