Morocco - open source maps any good?

AlanQ

Morocco - open source maps any good?

Post by AlanQ »

I'm planning a first trip to Morocco this year and am looking at Sat Nav options. From everything I've read the default seems to be to use a Garmin and Olafs free maps. In the UK I use an iPhone and a number of apps, mostly Memory Map and Motionx, and I'd like avoid having to buy a Garmin if possible.

As far as I can tell a fair chunk of Morocco is now covered by openmaps and MotionX will let me download the relevant area beforehand to save on data roaming costs. But I wondered if anyone else has actually used them and if so how good they are? I'm not talking for turn by turn voice guidance, just for following pre-loaded routes.
skygod

Re: Morocco - open source maps any good?

Post by skygod »

Ive used the Olafs on my Garmin 550 and if you dont want turn by turn guidance they are fine.
The great philosopher Keating once said:

"Life`s a roller coaster, you just have to ride it".
Jimbike

Post by Jimbike »

I also use MotionX a t lot and it is a great app so was looking for the same before my trip. I couldn't find anything so bought a Garmin and used the Olaf maps. The map is brilliant with loads of accurate trail info and terrain, I wouldn't be without it. But, the Garmin eTrax HCx functionality was rubbish compared to MotionX so I'd love it if the Olaf maps compatible with it instead.
I'm not sure how to do this but in my opinion it would be the ideal as MotionX is so easy to use, much better software than Garmin and the iPhone screen is much clearer.

My brother used his iPhone and downloaded the MotionX road map for most areas we rode but it didn't show most of the smaller trails but was good on roads and more important tracks. Without accurate terrain and track info it wasn't good enough for exploring.
If you have eaten your breakfast, clean your bowl.
david a hall

Post by david a hall »

Without question a paper map is best option, I switch the sat nav off at ceuta. If in big city then scooter boy will take you anywhere you want to go and a few places you hadnt thought of going :)
PHILinFRANCE

Post by PHILinFRANCE »

I'll second that , all i had was the 742 Michelin and it don't need batteries B)
Ed T

Post by Ed T »

PHILinFRANCE wrote:I'll second that , all i had was the 742 Michelin and it don't need batteries B)
+1
Just remember to keep it safe from water and hard wind (Michelin does not spend a lot of money in paper) and it will guide through Morocco.
Only a biker knows why the dogs stick their heads outside the window

http://losviajesdeed.wordpress.com
Paul-S

Post by Paul-S »

I just used paper - had the Michelin but also took a Freytag & Berntd which had much more detail for the same scale map

The good thing about maps is that you can select the twistiest routes and just go
Jimbike

Post by Jimbike »

The Michelin map is the best of the paper but it is very limited in what it shows. You will miss a lot of pistes and trails relying on any paper map. I use it as an overview planning map.
As many of the main pistes are being tarmac-ed now, if you want to get off sealed roads much you will need some GPS tracks or waypoints. Olaf is the best and shows terrain as well as user verified routes.
The MotionX map does show more than most paper maps but we found some of those did not exactly match what was on the ground accurately but were very good for road use.

For your first time in Morocco, if you are not planning too much off road, the MotionX map is pretty good.
If you have eaten your breakfast, clean your bowl.
AlanQ

Post by AlanQ »

Thanks everyone, useful info. I already have the Michelin map so if I can collect enough waypoints beforehand I think I'll try it with with the MotionX.

Return to “Africa”