Seen It All....London Life

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Mad Cow

Re: Seen It All....London Life

Post by Mad Cow »

I used to be the Head of Waste Services for a London Borough, I was forever having to get tickets cancelled for my staff because:

Street Cleaning crews stopped to empty road side litter bins!

Or the worst of all, Road sweepers drove in the bus lanes... that's right to sweep them!

Neither of these were from the Parking Attendants who were contractors and known to be b*****ds, No these were issued by Council CCTV staff working in the same directorate as us.

You couldn't make it up
Tony AKA MAD COW

KTM 1090 Adventure R

KTM 450 EXC Rally

MY BLOG
NKL990

Post by NKL990 »

I watched a documentary once were a traffic warden followed a brewery lorry around giving it a ticket at every pub it stopped at.
stormfield

Post by stormfield »

The thing with london councils is, their strategy relies on 2 main factors:

1. ticketing staff are thick + unsympathetic as f@$&!

and

2. most people get too scared to contest the fines. They get this letter saying "the fine is halved if you cough up within 14 days, else pay the full fine." So they panic and pay up.

An interesting thing to note is, in many cases, the bus lane itself is not legally "eligible" in other words, bus lanes have a set number of criteria to conform to, before they can, in the eyes of the Law, be a "proper" bus lane in which you can be fined for riding in.

The bus lane *must* have specific markers, the lane markers on the road must not be worn out, there *must* be a sign at exactly 90 degrees to the road and so on blah blah.

This site is full of useful case studies, it's a whole evening's reading and a pain in the a$$ but it's still better than paying up to a greedy council,especially if they sting you for drifting for a couple of seconds into a lane purely because you swerved to avoid a car / ATV and so on.
http://www.pepipoo.com/

I got stung for 2 buslane offences but after contesting them with Lambeth, one got dropped and another halved. So from £260 it became £60.
Loggy

Post by Loggy »

Most of the Traffic Wardens are from Nigeria, so that tells you everything.

I worked for a firm that had to make a delivery in Chelsea every morning. A Traffic Warden on a motorbike would turn up like clockwork and stick a ticket on the truck. Every morning this happened and the delivery budget was designed to take into account these tickets. If that was France the company would have moved it's shop elsewhere.
Yamaha XT1200Z Super Tenere

Toyota Hilux 3.0lt

Army - Bedford MJ Radar Repair Workshop
Marco46

Post by Marco46 »

Sorry, but I have to tell you guys. The bloody car was still there this morning and you've guessed it its now got three tickets........:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
L O L
Italy1

Post by Italy1 »

Marco, start checking girls and forget the beema! :-)
sohoeasy

Post by sohoeasy »

Loggy wrote:Most of the Traffic Wardens are from Nigeria, so that tells you everything.

I worked for a firm that had to make a delivery in Chelsea every morning. A Traffic Warden on a motorbike would turn up like clockwork and stick a ticket on the truck. Every morning this happened and the delivery budget was designed to take into account these tickets. If that was France the company would have moved it's shop elsewhere.
Sorry mate,You've lost me here ? Bring us up to speed with this bit would you ?
Boris

Post by Boris »

sohoeasy wrote:
Loggy wrote:Most of the Traffic Wardens are from Nigeria, so that tells you everything.

Sorry mate,You've lost me here ? Bring us up to speed with this bit would you ?
Oh come on Soho. Everyone knows all black folk are untrustworthy, Asians lower house prices wherever they go, Irish people plainly thick, Scottish people are mean, Welsh all sheep shaggers and cockerneys are all wideboys who would sell their granny at the drop of a hat.

Is it still 1973?

Italy1

Post by Italy1 »

sounds like another thread on the other forum.....glad waps have beeen left out of this one so far...:-))
Boris

Post by Boris »

Italy1 wrote:sounds like another thread on the other forum.....glad waps have beeen left out of this one so far...:-))
I left them out. Any country incapable of winning a game in Jeux Sans Frontières deserves our sympathy :)

Return to “THE PUB”