I might be getting a triumph tiger

If you're new to the site make your 1st post here. Tell us who you are, what you ride, your travel plans, bank account details etc.
mad dog

I might be getting a triumph tiger

Post by mad dog »

Hi all i have been riding bikes for 40 years i have a BSA A10 and its been with me for 30 years and a great bike i have been touring and camping for years on bikes i have a modern suzuki bandit as well which is a good bike but i see the new triumph tiger in the dealers and i like the look of the bike and the touring kit you can get with them they look like a good package for touring and the riding position looks great so i like touring and camping and a beer or two with clubs. So can you give me any tips as to the triumph tiger is it a good bike will it do me well for touring and comfort as i am getting on in years .

Might see some of you at the dragon rally.

Thanks PJ:)
Old PJ
phillh

Re: I might be getting a triumph tiger

Post by phillh »

Are you looking at the 800 or the 1050?
Loggy

Post by Loggy »

Ask AfricaJim, he bought one when they came out. I think he has had some problems with it though.

http://www.adventurebikerider.com/hello ... userid=255
Yamaha XT1200Z Super Tenere

Toyota Hilux 3.0lt

Army - Bedford MJ Radar Repair Workshop
Mark1961

Post by Mark1961 »

Hi PJ, Welcome to the forum. I have the Tiger 800xc. I've had it since the end of April and done 9,500 miles on it. Put simply it's the best bike I've had. Like you I've been riding for years.

The new Tiger 800xc does everything you ask of it and does it very well. Smooth on the motorway and has grunt off road.

Look around the internet at the bikes reviews there are some good ones on YouTube.

Mark
Adventure motorcycling is a challenge for those who go but only a dream for those who stay behind.

growing old is compulsory growing up is optional!
Mark1961

Post by Mark1961 »

Loggy wrote:Ask AfricaJim, he bought one when they came out. I think he has had some problems with it though.

I think Jim's problems are with the dealer & Triumph not with the bike?
Adventure motorcycling is a challenge for those who go but only a dream for those who stay behind.

growing old is compulsory growing up is optional!
James691

Post by James691 »

Welcome to the forum PJ :)

No matter what bike you settle on you're more than welcome at ABR - it's about the riders more than the bikes ;)

You will find a wealth of knowledge here that you can now add to. Check out the review section for what bikes have been reported - all depends on what you want to do but at the end of the day we all know a Honda 90 Cub will go around the world if you want it to.

Please have a look at the WELCOME TO ABR thread for more details of what goes on. Do as much or as little as you like.

Look forward to meeting you.

James
Dancing in the moonlight
Loggy

Post by Loggy »

Mark1961 wrote:
Loggy wrote:Ask AfricaJim, he bought one when they came out. I think he has had some problems with it though.

I think Jim's problems are with the dealer & Triumph not with the bike?

I'm not certain, I did read he was having some trouble. I'm sure he will be on soon to speak for himself though. So your bike has been pretty good then mate! Not seen many on the road, so still has the X Factor that's for sure.
Yamaha XT1200Z Super Tenere

Toyota Hilux 3.0lt

Army - Bedford MJ Radar Repair Workshop
OB1

Post by OB1 »

Welcome from another Tiger 800XC owner... and being such, I cannot recommend them more! I like to tour around the UK and Europe and the Tiger is the first bike that I have owned that is comfortable for 200+ miles without having to get off to stretch my legs. The tank rage, if you're frugal, can be around 250 miles at over 60 mpg.

Some bikes have had problems but, I'm sure there are no more then any other new bike coming onto the market. I have had no problems at all with over 7,500 miles covered since the end of March. The Tiger is my only transport so we'll see how it deals with a British winter!
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
Jammin

Post by Jammin »

I recently bought one, The're gggggggreat!!!!
africajim

Post by africajim »

As said, the Tiger 800 is a great bike, my XC has been all round Europe, offroad, onroad, a damned fine bike. I love the bike, but I have had a couple of electrical faults which have been addressed by Triumph although I have had problems regarding one fault and the dealer, to which Triumph, as a company were very unhelpful and also advised me my warranty would be void as I use a non franchise dealer for my servicing due to logistics.I was told it wouldn't be a problem when I bought the bike, but damn, it is now.

Never had a problem with Honda, local dealer supplied and serviced, never an issue, same dealer, same set up as with my Hondas but Triumph have decided they don't like this set up, in turn, they've had words with the nearest Triumph dealer and they in turn have now told me to keep away from them so now I have no Triumph cover within 150 miles. This in mind, I will probably sell the bike after this year and cut my losses. Pity, coz I really liked the bike but the warranty isn't worth a damn, also no recovery so all in all, I'd rather go to BMW as Honda hasn't anything to interest me as yet!

My opinion, if you have a Triumph franchise close to you and they have a good rep go for it, good bike just poor dealer network up here in Scotland.
Honda, the power of dreams.

Return to “WELCOME NEWBIE”