F700GS Owners

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
fw750x

F700GS Owners

Post by fw750x »

Hello everyone i got a New to me F700GS a couple of weeks ago. My first run out and got a Flat Back Tyre , I got a new set of Metzeler Tourance Tyres Fitted Yesterday . The Display is Reading 19 psi on the Front and 21psi on the Rear , I checked the Tyres with 2 Digital Tyre Pressure Gauges and are reading 28 psi on the Front and 30psi on the Rear . I did around 100 Miles Today and Thought it would Correct itself During the Run Can the Display be Reset ? Any info would be Great. I am very pleased with the Bike its a Cracker . Cheers Francis
Attachments
DSC00217.JPG
DSC00217.JPG (153.7 KiB) Viewed 255 times
Richard Simpson Mark II

Re: F700GS Owners

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

In my experience, the majority of faults in modern vehicles are not vehicle faults, just sensor faults.

Luckily most can be cured with the judicious application of a small piece of masking tape over the offending part of the display.

And don't get me started on replacing haptic switches with touchscreens.
Flintlock

Post by Flintlock »

Francis,

Don't know what's going on there but if you go over to UKgser - there is a section dedicated to F700 650 & 800 GS & you would probably get good info there

https://www.ukgser.com/community/forums ... twins.594/

You might have to register to view tho.

Health to enjoy your new bike.
fw750x

Post by fw750x »

Thank You Richard and Flintlock , I would have thought it would work the same way as a petrol Gauge , ie it would Reset the Next time the Bike was used ie it has to go over 20mph and then the Front and Rear Pressures appear on the Dash . Cheers for the Link Flintlock .Francis
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

I have a F800 GT with tyre pressure monitoring installed--BUT no display when I bought it recently. I reckon the sensors(one or both) have run out of their 5 year battery and the display has been disabled. I now have the Motoscan kit to reset the ECU WHEN I get new sensors from CHINA and TEST them prior to installation (about 35 quid for the pair as opposed to over 100 quid each from BMW AND you can only replace them with a tyre change--basically I'm in no rush as I've never had that facility on a bike and you don't miss what you've never had!). The whole process seems a right PITA and for the moment I'll stick to regular pressure checks and "feel" to warn me of a leak--and I've had a few over many years! The Motoscan kit enables me to reset service intervals and thoroughly inspect fault codes etc(the main reason for purchase--secondhand at a bargain price). The sensor wake up transmitter was about a 10 quid, from China again--its just a single frequency transmitter and worth it for checking that the WHOLE system works and the display is accurate and back on. I'm no youngster and this bike, although basically great, has too much unnecessary electronics like rear damping setting from the bar switch, traction control from the bar, and so on--and its Canbus--I like just to get on and ride the thing!
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 2:43 pm In my experience, the majority of faults in modern vehicles are not vehicle faults, just sensor faults.

Luckily most can be cured with the judicious application of a small piece of masking tape over the offending part of the display.

And don't get me started on replacing haptic switches with touchscreens.
I have a piece of tape over the ABS light on my 690 Enduro. It has the dongle so the rear is permanently off but the flashing light is ridiculously irritating.

On the other aspect, my time with the Norden may be under review. From my initial three warning light issues just before the first service, I am now getting the EML light coming on after 10 miles - allegedly a knock sensor. Booked in at P&H next Thursday. If they don’t fix it, it’s on its way. I can’t keep running backwards and forwards to a dealer. I love the bike but I’m not putting up with that.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

It's very unfortunate...mechanical issues as well as electronics. There's loads of YouTubes citing ridiculously-early catastrophic cam failures on that engine, with KTM denying all blame. One guy did a film of a start-up with the cam cover off, and there was just a slight dribble of oil out of the nozzles that are supposed to spray the cam lobes with lube. You'd expect the oil to be all over the garage walls.
He's checked the oil pressure, and it was all to KTM spec.
I now feel like I dodged a bullet when I decided not to swap my 950 for an 890...and one of the things that put me off was the horrible rattle from the 890 on start-up. It sounded like it was about to blow up...and it might well have been. Take the cam covers off the 950, and even with the oil drained there are big pools of oil around the cams, and last time I looked I could see little evidence of wear on a 40,000 mile engine.
If you do decide to move your Norden on, you could consider the Aprilia 660...there's a guy called Hippo-Drones on YouTube who I think comes from your part of the world who has done loads on his and has had no mechanical issues at all. The only problem that I can see with it is that you need to buy racks and bars for it, but you can get a 660 brand-new for IRO £10 k. Carry the weight a lot lower than the Yamaha T7 too. Not ridden one, but I've never ridden an Aprilia that wasn't an absolute joy.
Interestingly, the CFMoto bikes that use the same basic engine as the KTM790/890 have a longer warranty, and I've seen no reports of any problems with them, at all. Has China overtaken Europe with quality control?
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

I’ve been reading that Richard. It is worrying although my regular use but low mileage may work on my favour. I went through so much trauma to get this bike I’m torn between two stools.
I’ll see what happens when P&H have done their stuff.
As you know, the KTM Forum has been all over the cam issue.

Hippo-drones posts on the Sussex TRF Facebook page so I have seen his reports.
I need a bike with room for my knackered knees and twitchy back. My 690 is fine for 100 miles but after that I get a bit of cramp and twingeing.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R

Return to “TECHNICAL”