Helmet rebuild.

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Magnusson

Helmet rebuild.

Post by Magnusson »

Just cleaned my Nolan 100-5 helmet. Took the fabric out, dumped some clothing detergent into a bucket of warm water. Squeezed the fabric until the water became dirty. Repeated. Repeated with fresh water when it stopped becoming dirty. Let it dry for couple of days. Installed a new visor and Pinlock. It's like a new helmet now for about 15% of the price.
Champagne taste on beer budget.
johnnyboxer

Re: Helmet rebuild.

Post by johnnyboxer »

Magnusson wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 7:45 pm Just cleaned my Nolan 100-5 helmet. Took the fabric out, dumped some clothing detergent into a bucket of warm water. Squeezed the fabric until the water became dirty. Repeated. Repeated with fresh water when it stopped becoming dirty. Let it dry for couple of days. Installed a new visor and Pinlock. It's like a new helmet now for about 15% of the price.
Just done the same to my Neotec1 helmet
Did it in the washer at 20c tonight in laundry bag nets on a delicate wash
Now on the airer
Going to order a new Pinlock for £30 and I have a new Visor already in the cupboard
Helmet is 10 years old though
Gonna splash out on a £600 Neotec 3 I think and just use the Neotec 1 for knocking around locally
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Magnusson

Post by Magnusson »

johnnyboxer wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 8:14 pm
Magnusson wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 7:45 pm Just cleaned my Nolan 100-5 helmet. Took the fabric out, dumped some clothing detergent into a bucket of warm water. Squeezed the fabric until the water became dirty. Repeated. Repeated with fresh water when it stopped becoming dirty. Let it dry for couple of days. Installed a new visor and Pinlock. It's like a new helmet now for about 15% of the price.
Just done the same to my Neotec1 helmet
Did it in the washer at 20c tonight in laundry bag nets on a delicate wash
Now on the airer
Going to order a new Pinlock for £30 and I have a new Visor already in the cupboard
Helmet is 10 years old though
Gonna splash out on a £600 Neotec 3 I think and just use the Neotec 1 for knocking around locally
The Nolan is only 3 years old, but it has been used for about 50 thousand km. The visor was in okay condition but the Pinlock insert was deformed and scratched, and the Pinlock holder was broken. It made sense (after a beer or two) to replace both together. They were both in stock and shipping was the same.
I have started looking at replacement helmets but just can not find a nice one in my budget range. Neotec 3 would be awesome, it's near top of my list, but do I need a Rolls Royce helmet with my VW bike? Schubert C3 has a pressure point on the forehead that gives me migraine (weird thing). They all meet the same standard. Maybe I'll just get another Nolan 100-5 when it hits the 5 year mark. I'll have spare visor.
Champagne taste on beer budget.
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

I’ve found the Nolans very noisy compared to my Arais but they are really comfy and the sun visors are great.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R

Return to “THE PUB”