Plugging a Tuber Tyre ??

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Bart1

Plugging a Tuber Tyre ??

Post by Bart1 »

A few months ago I picked up an early low mileage Tiger 800XC as a N+1 / winter hack, the bike is my first tubed tired bike for a quite a while so I started looking into tubeless conversions. It seems well documented that converting a rim with a safety bead is fine but there is debate as to if a rim (often the front) without the safety bead is good practice ie would a inner tube help a deflating tyre keep the tyre bead where it should be or not.
There is also the insurance angle, albeit distant, that if your provider discovered a tubeless conversion would they void the policy ?? Tyres can get un mounted in a crash.

So....
If the tyre bead stays where it should be any leaking air can only escape through the puncture hole, spokes holes and valve stem hole. Sealing those should give a rideable tyre...at least to get home.
After a few rides the front got a puncture form blackthorn so while the tyre was off I made a few changes and fitted some 3m Extreme tape to the spoke holes, an extra layer around the valve stem hole and refitted the original rim tape for a bit of protection to the tape.
A few rides later the Pirelli Scorpion Trail got another blackthorn puncture but this time I just plugged the tyre with a sticky string. At first it was loosing about 1 lb a day, a water bath revealed the valve stem to be the culprit so added another 1/4 turn on the stem nut to cure that.

That was several weeks and several hundred miles ago and so far it is only loosing about 1 lb a week. The tyres will be finished in less than 1000 miles and be changed but the "repair" seems to work, the riding has so far only been on road/ gravelly roads so not proper off road.

A bit of Googling on this revealed discussion but no actual reports of doing it, has anyone tried this?
Bart1

Re: Plugging a Tuber Tyre ??

Post by Bart1 »

Bart1 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:57 pm

A bit of Googling on this revealed discussion but no actual reports of doing it, has anyone tried this?
That would appear to be a no then.....

I'm still running the tyre as above and it is still only loosing about a 1lb a week.
Tramp

Re: Plugging a Tuber Tyre ??

Post by Tramp »

You shouldn't of fitted rim tape as well...my bartit tubless conversion loses zero psi over each tyre change and been like that for 20k now...diy option does work but rim needs to be ultra clean and a special valve fitted then the lot sealed at correct temp...a puncture fix is then like any tubed tyre either foam squirty stuff or a worm...

Return to “TECHNICAL”