Pointless Modifications

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
SteveWat

Pointless Modifications

Post by SteveWat »

I’m sure folk would have their own opinions, but here’s my offering for a pointless, useless and actually worsening modification.
My new-to-me BMW f800gs’s previous owner(s) had fitted some nice aftermarket extras. But they’d also replaced the stock 16t front sprocket with a 15t sprocket.
I know the theory….lower gearing for better low speed control, especially in off road conditions.
I’ve now switched it back to the stock 16t.
This bike has plenty of power and torque for slow clutch slipping muddy shenanigans with its stock gearing.
The only criticism I have for this brilliant bike is that at 80mph and above the engine is a bit coarse and has some vibration.
Which…..is probably a good thing with all the motorway speed cameras these days, it’s sort of an old school speed-limiter.
When the 16t is replaced with a 15t sprocket this causes the vibrations to start at 70mph……which is tiresome and annoying.
I will concede that 6th gear acceleration and torque is a bit better with a 15t sprocket, but it really is perfectly good enough with the 16t sprocket.
DavidS

Re: Pointless Modifications

Post by DavidS »

I think it depends on the specific bike and, possibly, what had to be achieved to pass noise tests (not necessarily a fact). Also, I guess, what the rider actually wants but I do see where your complaint lies.

When I had my KTM 950 SM and latterly, my Triumph T120, both were hampered by appalling gearing for UK speed limits.
In both cases the bike’s rideability was massively improved by one tooth less on the gearbox sprocket.

Conversely, My current 690 Enduro was horrible above about 55mph so I put a three tooth smaller rear sprocket on recently and the transformation is substantial.
No more stressed sounding engine and you can keep up with traffic better.
I haven’t tried the trails yet but I suspect best part of 65 bhp will be sufficient.

I all cases, different sprockets were standard alternatives.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
SteveWat

Post by SteveWat »

Yes I agree, dicking about with the gearing on some bikes will have its advantages.
But I’d definitely leave the gearing stock with the f800gs.
But…..If I had to alter the gear ratio, I’d go one tooth up on the front sprocket with the f800gs…..the engine has plenty of torque to pull the extra tooth and those 6th gear vibrations are pushed even further up the speed range.
Magnusson

Post by Magnusson »

I've never understood modifications that:
Make bikes obnoxiously loud. Exhausts, horns, etc.
Engine tuning, specially on smaller displacement engines. 10-20% power increase might be nice if you are willing to sacrifice reliability, fuel efficiency, etc. But if you are starting with less than 50 hp it's a waste of money. Just get a bike with bigger engine.
Champagne taste on beer budget.
Magnusson

Post by Magnusson »

And stuff like this. :D
Attachments
1968422-7fe586b3ac5dd0245ddd514ef01f11c3.jpeg
1968422-7fe586b3ac5dd0245ddd514ef01f11c3.jpeg (80.71 KiB) Viewed 2949 times
Champagne taste on beer budget.
Steve T

Post by Steve T »

SteveWat,

I've replaced the standard front sprocket on all of my F8GSs with a one toothed increase.

Drops the revs marginally in the higher speed rangeso a little more relaxed when cruising but makes no difference at all when sliding around in the mud on the trails where the F8GS likes to play.

Conversly I reduced the size of the front sprocket on my F650GS Twin to give it slightly more reves at lower speeds when getting dirty.

Great thing about changing the front sprocket is that you rarely have to change the length on the bikes chain. You just have to adjust the chain tension to compensate for the change in front sprocket size.

Just my tuppence worth.

Steve T

8-)
ZEN DOG

He knows not where he's going, for the ocean will decide
It's not the destination . . . . . . . it's the glory of the ride
mark vb

Post by mark vb »

There's only one truly pointless modification and that's replacing your bike's points with electronic ignition, such as Lucas Rita or Boyer Bransden. Not very common nowadays, unless you have a classic. This pointless mod was therefore very pointful (if there's such a word).
Aside from that - for me - possibly fitting of an aftermarket screen that was no better than the original. Or fitting of low 'ace' bars, which were considerably less comfortable than the more upright OEM bars, and gave no increase in performance or comfort whatsoever (they were fitted to a 49cc sports moped)
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

Sorry I have to disagree in that I fitted RITA to the Norton in 1976 and it still works just fine now, unless I've just jinxed it :o

Air horns weren't much use though, replaced with a pair of Fiamm horns.

TTFN

Hugh.
Hall

Post by Hall »

I think you missed the point Hugh :D
Aka "jkay"
Asgard

Post by Asgard »

Hall wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:51 pm I think you missed the point Hugh :D
Excellent :lol: