E10 carbon soot on silencer

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
garyboy

Re: E10 carbon soot on silencer

Post by garyboy »

PaulinBont wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 4:03 pm
garyboy wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 3:07 pm
Bart1 wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 2:38 pm Tesco Haverfordwest and Cardigan both have E5, my old Honda Vf1000 seems to run very well on it......so far.
That's amazing.. I was thinking about Haverfordwest tesco just yesterday, as a cafe stop for a run.
So cardigan tesco do E5 too ?
Gary,
Great cafe at the airport in H’west: ‘Propellors’
Thanks for that, Paul I used to pass that area, by withybush I think, every weekend at one time, to visit a friend. Love that area. I'm thinking of a bike ride down that way, when the weather improves, and when I recover from doing my daughter's garden lol.
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

okay so no one has any specific help ref carbon sooting on exhaust silencer exit.....im not interested in any other twaddle :lol: .

and Gary you dont know me so please dont suggest the bike isnt serviced or maintained...speculation isnt helpfull
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Tramp wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 2:56 pm okay so no one has any specific help ref carbon sooting on exhaust silencer exit.....im not interested in any other twaddle :lol: .

and Gary you dont know me so please dont suggest the bike isnt serviced or maintained...speculation isnt helpfull
My apologies Chris, for trying to help, even though innocent conjecture.

PS .. there's only one L in helpful :D
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

PS .. your post heading says you are predetermined on the cause of the sooting.
It may help if you broaden the scope of investigation.
I'm always interested in technical issues with bikes and can sometimes learn interesting things.
I try not to get uptight if I am wrong.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

A well-serviced and perfectly sound bike can sometimes suddenly develop a fault. A loose electrical connection or recently dud battery will affect the emissions, as will fuel input.

My advice to you, young man 8-) is to get a Honda :D

I assume you are younger than me, as I am 75, been riding bikes most of my life, and have ended up knowing sod all lol.

Hope you are still in touch with your delightful friend, DaveUpright. Some has rubbed off. Hope he is doing well though, and that you continue to enjoy your trips to France.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

I don't know if your bike has a carb or EFI. If the latter, the EFI may be over-richening the mixture to compensate for the increased oxygen content in the E10 fuel. Or, your bike may have had the EFI tampered with to improve low-speed response with a richer mixture. Potentially sustained high-speed running in such a condition may cause bore-wash, with excess fuel removing lubricant from the cylinder wall and it being burned creating the soot.

Back in the days of carbs and four-star petrol, vehicles used on short trips would typically have unburned carbon black on the exhaust tip as they didn't get hot enough for long enough to burn it off. After a long trip, the exhaust would be a nice silvery-gray...which was lead from the petrol.

I remember when unleaded came in, people were complaining that their engines 'ran rich all the time' on unleaded...because they weren't seeing those grey deposits any more.

Only way to tell what's really going on is to pull the spark plug(s) and examine them. That's assuming that sustained high-speed running isn't causing the engine to burn a bit of oil.

I think Red Bike John put mega-miles on his Yam 660 on a motorway commute, so he may have some experience/knowledge to contribute.

Return to “TECHNICAL”