Adventures to Starbucks on my BMW R1150GSA

Post up pics of you and your bike. A place for members to get all arty farty, creative and, er, post up snaps.
johnnyboxer

Re: Adventures to Starbucks on my BMW R1150GSA

Post by johnnyboxer »

Tonibe63 wrote:
johnnyboxer wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:36 am It’s not the shock
Creaking when you push down on the seat is the pivot bearings
That's my experience too JB, albeit with the 1200gs.
Yep
Creaking is pivot bearings
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
adventure steele

Post by adventure steele »

Cheers guys just giving it all a clean up was pretty filthy tbh an did have some staining on the body so cleaned that all up so I can keep an eye on it, doesn't look like the shocks been serviced for a while, needs a new hydraulic preload hose at some point as well

Gonna order some bearings in the morning, just got back from getting a digital laser temp guage for heating the pins with the hot air gun
adventure steele

Little clip while examining stuff, gonna move on to the FD in a moment.

adventure steele

Forgot to add clocked a few things on the shock so glad I looked at it the lower bush doesn't look to healthy same for the top one, there's a nick in the Hydraulic hose outer sleeve, an when your hand is on the shock spring pushing on the seat you can feel vibration through the shock.

If the pivot bearings have gone with the shock off can you usually still hear the sound? When moving the shaft through its travel?

N finally who's everyone using for Ohlins rebuilds now adays. 

Gonna look at getting them done as a matter of course as it doesn't look like they have seen any attention for a few years.

Top one was worse. 

My instinct is saying shock but ill check the Pivot bearings out anyway while it's in bits.
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

adventure steele wrote:Forgot to add clocked a few things on the shock so glad I looked at it the lower bush doesn't look to healthy same for the top one, there's a nick in the Hydraulic hose outer sleeve, an when your hand is on the shock spring pushing on the seat you can feel vibration through the shock.

If the pivot bearings have gone with the shock off can you usually still hear the sound? When moving the shaft through its travel?

N finally who's everyone using for Ohlins rebuilds now adays. 

Gonna look at getting them done as a matter of course as it doesn't look like they have seen any attention for a few years.

Top one was worse. 

My instinct is saying shock but ill check the Pivot bearings out anyway while it's in bits.
KAIS performance in Atherton, Manchester are the tops for Ohlins supply and service
You won’t go far wrong
You may do well to upgrade the rear spring as well
Stock is 140nM
You need either a 160 or 180 nM spring (I run a 180)
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
adventure steele

Thanks mate appreciate the reply :) did notice the previous owner had it wound on a fair way,

although the figures were right so as you say will benefit by a spring change,

Got to the bottom of it, its definitely the shock. Lubed the damaged bushings with wd still creaked.

Lubed the main rod on the shock while pumping the bike up an down then some rubber came out followed by a bit off fluid an then no more noise followed by a loss of dampening, so shock rebuild time the top bushing is alot worse than the bottom one.

Gonna deal with the shock first now funds wise.

Here's the 2nd video :)

Return to “WE LOVE PICS”