What went wrong on your bike today?

The Things We Ride
Brenhden

What went wrong on your bike today?

Post by Brenhden »

Had a bit of mechanical failure today so I thought I'd give us all a place to share issues.

Riding my 1995 DR200 to the office today and at the traffic lights before the M4 my rear wheel locked up, I'm very lucky it didn't happen at speed. I dragged the bike onto a triangle of grass and realised the front sprocket had come off. I found the front sprocket retaining bolt in the bash plate but without a 8mm socket to get the sprocket cover off I was a bit buggered. Whilst I have the original toolkit on the bike its not much use and the tools I carry for adventure would get nicked outside the office.

I then realised that without my gloves I could slide my fingers under the cover and push the sprocket back on. Result. I then burned my hand a load of times before I took a ten minute break for the engine to cool down and loosened the back wheel off. after some swearing and loosing a fair amount of knuckle skin it was back on and I was well chuffed. I got the retaining bolt in position and managed to get a spanner to it but just as it was getting tight it sheared!

So extremely foolishly I rode the bike home as gently as possible.

Now I've got to get the bolt shaft out of the countershaft, and work out how to lock that bolt in place.
Screenshot 2023-05-17 170844.jpg
Screenshot 2023-05-17 170844.jpg (45.26 KiB) Viewed 2416 times
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ซ๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ช๐Ÿ‡ฑ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ช๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ช
Scott_rider

Re: What went wrong on your bike today?

Post by Scott_rider »

Not anywhere near the same level of โ€˜wrongnessโ€™ as your incident but today I fitted a Renntec rack to my Suzuki GSX-S1000F which should have been a 20 minute job as it involved about 8 bolts to be undone and replaced whilst installing the rack however I dropped one of them deep into the bowels of the bike frame and had to disassemble half of the bodywork to retrieve it. And then reassemble it. Which took me 2 hours.
:shock:
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
Spike941

Post by Spike941 »

Thatโ€™s nothing! I printed out my new insurance and looking forward to the first ride of the year, then to my horror, discovered that the MoT I thought was valid until October, actually ran out last month. Tears wiped away and MoT booked.
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

Spike941 wrote: โ†‘Wed May 17, 2023 8:12 pm Thatโ€™s nothing! I printed out my new insurance and looking forward to the first ride of the year, then to my horror, discovered that the MoT I thought was valid until October, actually ran out last month. Tears wiped away and MoT booked.

Quick update, tried to book repairs and thought I'd add the advisory worn suspension bushing, turns out the MOT expired last month...
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
dibbs

Post by dibbs »

Just not your day eh Brenhden! Sorry to hear of your issues and hope you get them sorted and back on the road asap. Just as a thought you mentioned your adv tools would get nicked. I bought the motion pro mini tool pouch. It fits in your pocket and has sockets, spanners and even a bottle opener! Its like a mini multi tool type thing and is brilliant. Ive managed to dith most of my tool kit now and use this a lot, and every time i find a new use for it, clever little thing it is โ˜บ
gbags

Post by gbags »

On Day 1 of a long trip my Garmin 390 LM just stopped charging. The light dimmed and it turned itself on and off a few times. Once the stored battery power dwindled it just died.

I hadnโ€™t brought the correct cable to charge it as it usually charges fine, so I bought a USB with the other end that fitted my satnav. In the room it works fine and when I hook it up to my BMW power plug that works too but it uses juice faster than it can suck it up through the power plug.

I think itโ€™s clear that I need a new Garmin lead, which seems to be faulty somewhere. Would you tech savvy guys agree?

Amy suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

gbags wrote: โ†‘Sat May 20, 2023 3:15 pm On Day 1 of a long trip my Garmin 390 LM just stopped charging. The light dimmed and it turned itself on and off a few times. Once the stored battery power dwindled it just died.

I hadnโ€™t brought the correct cable to charge it as it usually charges fine, so I bought a USB with the other end that fitted my satnav. In the room it works fine and when I hook it up to my BMW power plug that works too but it uses juice faster than it can suck it up through the power plug.

I think itโ€™s clear that I need a new Garmin lead, which seems to be faulty somewhere. Would you tech savvy guys agree?

Amy suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Sounds about right. I take it that it usually charges from the cradle? Might be that you could clean the contacts?

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

My wash and check over of both bikes following our Ireland trip revealed no immediate repairs needed ......... until I managed to crack my mirror on a tiny wooden shelf whilst trying to manoeuvre the bike into it's parking space-"bugger" :x
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.

Return to โ€œBIKESโ€