crf250 Rally

The Things We Ride
garyboy

Re: crf250 Rally

Post by garyboy »

pps ... i am really enjoying Norally on her world tours ..... but the sound of that crf250L, 2013, is really grating on me .... as it was one of the main reasons i got rid of my old 2015 250L .... no offence meant ... but the 250 Rally sounds and feels so much better :lol: 8-)
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

garyboy wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 10:20 pm pps ... i am really enjoying Norally on her world tours ..... but the sound of that crf250L, 2013, is really grating on me .... as it was one of the main reasons i got rid of my old 2015 250L .... no offence meant ... but the 250 Rally sounds and feels so much better :lol: 8-)
The 300 Rally (Alaska) she's riding in series 6 doesn't sound any better but of course the microphone position could have something to do with it. I ride an old 1200gs and a Himalayan which are both air/oil cooled bikes so I'm used to a noisy engine but 'Alaska' sounds horrendous. Norally also wears ear plugs so doesn't hear it in the same way that viewers do ........... maybe put ear plugs in to watch it :lol:
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

the last episode i looked at, in series 5, I actually started to reach for some clean toilet roll to stuff in me ears, as per normal when riding any bike, especially my old crf250L .... then realised ... doh ...

...but in a perverse way, i am almost glad its the same for the 300 Rally, as you can't actually try these bikes, new anyway, before buying, so have to kind of guess what the experience is going to be like. So now I can gloat that my 2019 Rally sounds really nice :D :D 8-) 8-) :P

To have bought the 300 Rally would have meant paying £45 (estimated, but actually £50) per month more. but i had a feeling that the 250 Rally would be more robust, quieter, smoother, and more economical ... I am not sure that any of that is true, especially as the 300 has such raving reviews, apart from one person who said the 300 has more vibration?

The Honda blurb goes on about how the 300 has a longer stroke, more power, better on the road, more low torque, lower seat, better suspension I think, ... so I assumed that all this stuff was an `addition` to the 250 .... but one (punter) report stated that the 300 Rally uses the retuned cbr300 engine ..... so I don't really rally know?

Anyway ... I shall endure the 250 L engine sound by going halves .. and wear a ear plug in just the one ear ... the one nearest the engine :D
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

btw ... my admiration for Noraly is increasing by the episode .... the one i watched yesterday, she was in the middle of a South African (hot) desert, stuck in deep sand with the heavy load of all her worldly possessions, sweating, the sun beating down, on a remote sand road that no-one ever uses, miles from anywhere ... on her own, with no signal or food ... but got herself out and continued her intrepid journey ... onto a remote diamond mine with armed guards who's look and demeanour (and military background) made me shite in my comfy bed slippers....... but was she worried??? ..... not in the least!!! .... what a brave woman !!!

"do you remember" she said, " in the last episode, I told you of those 1700 illegal diamond miners being brutally dispersed by the company security guards? ... its was These guys .. lol "

I have seen her develop as a rider, and blossom in her skills and confidence .... and rather than whither down, from being a woman in a tough man's world, has actually used that female possession to progress and thrive ... (but don't they all, lol 8-) :lol: )

She really is an amazing woman, and her videos are superb, with terrific sound tracks ... and very educational 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
scotsy

Post by scotsy »

"as you can't actually try these bikes, new anyway, before buying, so have to kind of guess what the experience is going to be like."

both 300 versions are on the demonstrater fleet at Blackpool Honda and probably many other dealers too.

Short supply means you would need to go on a waiting list until they arrive in the UK though

Last years ABR festival had test rides available
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

the international and local buyers seem to find it difficult or impossible to get a test ride?

when i bought my used 2019 Rally, I was not allowed to even try it just outside, and they already knew me as a previous buyer. though i was allowed to listen to the engine inside the showroom, lol.

but good to know that some dealers are letting us try these machines.
I think a lot of sales are dependent on Looks, more than performance?
though the crf 250 and 300, seem to be well thought of as a small adventure bike, trail bike, dual sport.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

well today, me ol' back seemed to be a bit better (shrapnel from the Boer war) and thoughts once more turned to the possibility of riding a bike again. I have a front mt21 tyre waiting here to be fitted and an investigation needed as to whether i can lower the rear. All i have to do is be able to put me shoes on and lift off the ten concrete blocks holding down my bike tent entrance. Doh (let me rest a bit now, phew)

the question i have, to those wot know, is ..

can a 2019 crf Rally shock absorber be lowered by simply drilling 2no. 10mm holes to the u-bracket at the base of the shock?
Magnusson

Post by Magnusson »

garyboy wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:46 pm well today, me ol' back seemed to be a bit better (shrapnel from the Boer war) and thoughts once more turned to the possibility of riding a bike again. I have a front mt21 tyre waiting here to be fitted and an investigation needed as to whether i can lower the rear. All i have to do is be able to put me shoes on and lift off the ten concrete blocks holding down my bike tent entrance. Doh (let me rest a bit now, phew)

the question i have, to those wot know, is ..

can a 2019 crf Rally shock absorber be lowered by simply drilling 2no. 10mm holes to the u-bracket at the base of the shock?
I've seen a photo of that modification. Don't know how that actually worked,
Champagne taste on beer budget.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

i've done the mod to a 2015crf250L .. but was not sure of the post 2017 250Rally .....
i should think it will work, but the linkages look a bit different, probably different shock too as it is taller?
If someone knows for sure, i can get a 10mm drill bit tomorrow .. or perhaps i should just investigate the linkage first anyway?

the pics seem to show the shock as long enough at the base, but i dont know if it will foul the linkages etc.

i asked on the honda crf sites but on one answered ... they seemed to prefer spending £180 on aftermarket links
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

2015 crf 250L mod to shock..

Image20170102_182741 by gary boy, on Flickr

Will this work on a 2019, crf250Rally?

Return to “BIKES”