EU. In or out?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
garyboy

Re: EU. In or out?

Post by garyboy »

yeah .. i can understand what you are saying, Dave .. and can see in myself, some jealously, as i would have loved to have done as you did, but never had the guts or fortitude or wherewithal to actually do it .. compounded by (illogical?)`loyalty` to family and home.

but we can rise above our basic ugly humanity to our basic good humanity.

the same situation in Spain, i think with All their property becoming the ownership of the state for the goodwill of the state, or something like that. .. and that was Before Brexit?

that is difficult to override as it is within the power of the state, as given to itself .. and little to do with brexit? per se .... just hastened it along?

in a global economy .. the new ways have been both beneficial and disastrous .. cheaper goods, poorer people and richer people, all transmogrified to suit the powerful with consumer control?

that is why there has been such a backlash .............. towards nationalism, nimbyism and protectionism etc etc etc.

the old winners become the new losers and also the reverse.

it is a global phenomenon and it seems like everyone is hurting in some way or another .. except 1% of course.

my advice .. for what its worth .. is to stick in there
.. as the relationship between France and Britain is so mutually beneficial.
and i am sure that things will work out eventually. .. (of necessity)
best wishes
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

garyboy wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:32 am my advice .. for what its worth .. is to stick in there
.. as the relationship between France and Britain is so mutually beneficial.
and i am sure that things will work out eventually. .. (of necessity)
best wishes
I'm usually a pretty positive person but right now it feels like things aren't going to get better until there is a way to filter out truth and lies from what people see in the media/timelines. The decline of truth in what people read and the ability for propaganda to be sown into what people trust is rising and it's driving fear and hatred. Brexit, Trump and our communal response to covid are all symptoms.

Fingers crossed that someone, somewhere gets to power who doesn't want to benefit from these new types of deception.
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

I've been very negative about Brexit, and I've been wrong.

Because yesterday the Government announced that our imports of Japanese 'Soya sauce' would be cheaper after Brexit, thanks to a cracking deal negotiated by the Department of international Trade.

Great news!

Except.

1) there is no such thing as Japanese soya sauce. Indeed there is no such thing as soya sauce at all.
2) there is such a thing as Japanese soy sauce, but the UK's supplies of soy sauce actually come mostly from the Netherlands. In the event of no-deal, we'll pay more for them.
3) if we wanted to buy Japanese soy sauce at 0% duty, then we could already, thanks to a pre-existing deal between Japan and the EU

Is this really the best our Government can do?

Anyone else know any benefits of Brexit...the disadvantages are becoming clearer every day, so let's hear more about the benefits!

Duty-free unicorn dung from Atlantis?
Free access to the mineral rights at King Solomon's mines?
A seamless border with Fairyland?
Blue passports from Poland?
Boris Johnson on his knees in the Oval Office, trying to swallow, and not spit?
The People's Republic of China dictating our foreign policy?

Feel free to add to the list, Brexiteers!
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Fear and hatred are emotions that we (as humans) foster within ourselves, the people of power feed this with propaganda via our accepted choice of media that WE choose to believe in. The result is that the mind comes up with a worst case scenario which then become our anxieties. The reality is we choose what to believe and take on board, we choose to think the worst, we can also choose if Soy Sauce is worth paying the extra for.

The biggest problem with the media is that it robs you of feeling thankful for what you already possess ....... but only if you choose to let it.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
dave h

Post by dave h »

I blame the stupid British people for voting for things that might affect them instead of voting for what the clever people wanted,

hold on- they didn't know what they were voting for did they,

don't know how I ended up here I've broke my own rule and commented on the politics page,

I'm going in the shed now to mess with a bike till i brake something,

dave.
bill_qaz

Post by bill_qaz »

simonw

Post by simonw »

dave h wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:40 pm<snip> hold on- they didn't know what they were voting for did they,<snip>
I'd be amazed if anyone on either side really knew completely what they were voting for and/or the implications of their vote. This, I think, is the problem with the whole thing - no-one presented all of the facts for and against the two options to enable people to make an educated vote. Instead it was run like a marketing campaign by both sides, full of half-truths, innuendos and inferences. And let's not even get into the whole targeted advertising based on all that data that everyone's shared "because they've nothing to hide", and the Cambridge Analytica stuff.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:18 pm I've been very negative about Brexit, and I've been wrong.

Because yesterday the Government announced that our imports of Japanese 'Soya sauce' would be cheaper after Brexit, thanks to a cracking deal negotiated by the Department of international Trade.

Great news!

Except.

1) there is no such thing as Japanese soya sauce. Indeed there is no such thing as soya sauce at all.
2) there is such a thing as Japanese soy sauce, but the UK's supplies of soy sauce actually come mostly from the Netherlands. In the event of no-deal, we'll pay more for them.
3) if we wanted to buy Japanese soy sauce at 0% duty, then we could already, thanks to a pre-existing deal between Japan and the EU

Is this really the best our Government can do?

Anyone else know any benefits of Brexit...the disadvantages are becoming clearer every day, so let's hear more about the benefits!

Duty-free unicorn dung from Atlantis?
Free access to the mineral rights at King Solomon's mines?
A seamless border with Fairyland?
Blue passports from Poland?
Boris Johnson on his knees in the Oval Office, trying to swallow, and not spit?
The People's Republic of China dictating our foreign policy?

Feel free to add to the list, Brexiteers!
bored, so just replying for the sake of it lol :lol:

in ancient Greece, a slave was owned by a very cruel master who used to tie the slave to a stake when not working. He used to tie him so tight that it caused the slave great pain, and the slave would always ask his master to not tie him so tight.
One day, in response, the owner tied the slave so tight that his leg broke.
The master was very agrieved, no doubt because the slave could no longer perform his duties, and so he vowed to amend his ways, and actually listen to his slave.
As is usually the case, between master and slave, the slave is often the more intelligent, as the master began to prosper as he listened more to his subject. and a great relationship grew up from a previous subjugation.

So is the relationship between EU and UK ... it is not a matter of present uncertainty and fear and misgivings, but rather the beginning of a mutual understanding that all members and all participants in trade should have an equality that is acceptable to all.

having said that .. the EU has introduced untold benefits to the UK, for which we are, or should be very grateful .... but they failed to realise that the British people will not be dominated by Europe, whom they freed from tyranny in modern times.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

1. Duty-free unicorn dung from Atlantis?
2. Free access to the mineral rights at King Solomon's mines?
3. A seamless border with Fairyland?
4. Blue passports from Poland?
5. Boris Johnson on his knees in the Oval Office, trying to swallow, and not spit?
6. The People's Republic of China dictating our foreign policy?

addressing the important issues ..
1. dung from a single-horned aurox from Santorini is never going to be tax free, is it, realistically.
2. tax free access to Solomon's copper mines in Jordan is a pipe dream, as his wealth was actually from such taxes.
3. I thought there was already a seamless border with fairyland, for me there always has been lol.
4. Blue passports from Poland? .. good point .. they should be made by zero hours contract slaves in This country.
5. BJ swallowing ... yes .. i saw a video of that.
6. yes

btw .. just a bit of fun on a rainy lockdown night 8-)
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

garyboy wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:28 am

in ancient Greece, a slave was owned by a very cruel master who used to tie the slave to a stake when not working. He used to tie him so tight that it caused the slave great pain, and the slave would always ask his master to not tie him so tight.
One day, in response, the owner tied the slave so tight that his leg broke.
The master was very agrieved, no doubt because the slave could no longer perform his duties, and so he vowed to amend his ways, and actually listen to his slave.
As is usually the case, between master and slave, the slave is often the more intelligent, as the master began to prosper as he listened more to his subject. and a great relationship grew up from a previous subjugation.

So is the relationship between EU and UK ... it is not a matter of present uncertainty and fear and misgivings, but rather the beginning of a mutual understanding that all members and all participants in trade should have an equality that is acceptable to all.

having said that .. the EU has introduced untold benefits to the UK, for which we are, or should be very grateful .... but they failed to realise that the British people will not be dominated by Europe, whom they freed from tyranny in modern times.
A non-sensical post. You make an absurd analogy between slavery and a member state's relationship with the EU. Quite apart from being deeply insulting to anyone who has ever been truly enslaved, it makes no sense whatsoever.

What kind of slave is free for 40 years to vote on his/her condition? What kind of slave can choose at any time to alter his/her circumstances? What kind of slave can work together in partnership with the other 'slaves' to enact any kind of rules they collectively want? What kind of slave is free to negotiate and collaborate with the other slaves at any time? In what bizarre slavery regime do new people volunteer enthusiastically to become slaves themselves, having waited over a decade for the opportunity to do so? What group of slaves are in fact their own master?

Gary all you've shown is your deep misunderstanding (it must be deliberate, surely?) of how the EU works and how its members define it.

Return to “THE PUB”