New bike

Bikers and riding
Stan53

New bike

Post by Stan53 »

Hi all.
In May next year I plan to buy my first adventure bike.
I’m looking at the mud engine range and would like some opinions on the current models available.
Many thanks and happy riding
Ian
mark vb

Re: New bike

Post by mark vb »

What on earth is the 'mud engine range'? 🤣
Billy Bananahead

Post by Billy Bananahead »

I think it's a boat engine.
Perhaps the newbie thought he was on Adventure Boat Rower forum. :?
Slowboy

Post by Slowboy »

Stan53 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:41 am Hi all.
In May next year I plan to buy my first adventure bike.
I’m looking at the mud engine range and would like some opinions on the current models available.
Many thanks and happy riding
Ian
Ignore the spelling police😁.
The mid range is massive and there’s loads of choice. For a decent road biased but trail capable budget bike the Honda CB500X is a good one, for something bigger the Yamaha Tenere or KTM790 are both good, the new Triumph 900 is OK and then there’s the left field stuff like the Fantic 500 scrambler, which is brilliant fun but very basic. There are some good singles like the KTM 690’s, the Yamaha 660 tenere and the dear old Honda Transalp 700 if you go secondhand.
That ought to get you started.
Small bike traveller

CRF250 Rally
C90
C125 Super Cub
poldark

Post by poldark »

Another left field option (love the Fantic option) is the Benelli TRK502, lots of bike for the money and an MCN review placing it above the CB500X created some reactions!!

Sent from my motorola one using Tapatalk

bikenav

Post by bikenav »

As a new starter I would suggest you stay in the centre of the tracks before venturing off piste left and right. Stay in the middle and out of the mud to start with and you will be fine I am sure. Take no notice of the P**s Takers. Help us out, are you dirt orientated, single cyl, 3 pots, 2up, big miles per day etc? Welcome aboard.
Flipflop

Post by Flipflop »

Hi
There’s bikes to suit everyone but we need more information about you and the type of riding you’ll be doing, in order to give helpful recommendations.

Are you tall?
Do you want to ride off road?
Will you ride a lot of miles? Abroad? 2-up, camping?
Do you ride fast - previous sports bike rider? Or are you a totally new rider?
Budget?
I’m sure you get my drift 👍

Fair enough if you don’t want to give us that much info - trouble is you’ll just end up with a long list of bikes.

Happy researching 🍻
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

It depends what you mean by mid range and what you mean by adventure and how much money you want to spend. If you are intending to do more off road than on then I would have a look at Nathan Millward’s post comparing the small GS, KTM, CRF and Himalayan. If these bikes interest you then the opportunity to test them back to back is certainly worth taking. I have ridden the CRF and own a Himalayan. For me the Himalayan is the best out of the box adventure bike available at the moment and certainly ideal for someone new the this sort of bike, however if you are in a hurry it is probably not for you.
I think you probably need to give a bit more information about yourself, what sort of riding you are hoping to do etc to get more tailored recommendations.
Cheers
mark vb

Post by mark vb »

I still like the idea of a mud engine range... made me lol for once. And to the OP, welcome to the site and take out on test as many mud (sorry, mid) engined bikes as possible on test and then decide, as one person's delight is another's poison.

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”