Wanted - Serow somewhere near Builth Wells

If you’re looking to clear out the garage or fill it back up post up your FOR SALE or WANTED here. No commercial sales, just personal stuff.
phil_h

Wanted - Serow somewhere near Builth Wells

Post by phil_h »

I've decided to sell my fe350 and move to a smaller bike as the lanes I'm doing round my neck of the hills are often very nadgery.
I was thinking about an Alp 200 for a bit but they are a little small for me (6'1) and the tank is a bit small (my friend with one always carries a bottle).
So, anyone seen anything clean (dont want any hassle, 2 months of radiotherapy coming up) and preferably from this century ???
Alternatively, if there's one near you that you would be prepared to go and vouch for, I'll pay you for the peace of mind that would give !

I've seen these:

https://www.gumtree.com/p/yamaha-motorb ... 1385357562
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1997-JDM-Yam ... 4434422394

The one in Ayrshire looks very nice, but its a loooong way from Mid-Wales :(
2021 890 Adventure R
1982 R80 G/S with Siebenrock
2020 500 Excf Rally Bike
2020 500 Excf Trail Bike
1957 Velocette 500 Scrambler
diggermanbob

Re: Wanted - Serow somewhere near Builth Wells

Post by diggermanbob »

Nice little bikes Phil or yamaha ttr250 great trail bike and easy to get parts for.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Don't want to crap on your rainbow, Phil, but are you sure that a Serow would be better on nadgery trails than your Huskie 350 ?

Not doing down a Serow - they are good solid little bikes, but they weigh exactly the same as an FE350 and the air cooled motor and much older frame/suspension/brakes are unlikely to handle single track any better than the Huskie. Probably worse I would have thought?

Maybe something significantly lighter would make a difference - Montesa 4 Ride ? Or Beta X-Trainer if you can go 2 stroke? KTM Freeride ? Or if you can run to a Sur-Ron you have 50kms of electric dirt use weighing only 50kgs !!

I really like the TTR250. I've ridden them and seen them manage all kinds of tough trails, but like the Serow they are pretty old-school now compared with your FE, and certainly no lighter or more agile.

If the FE feels too harsh/powerful for what you need, maybe look at a throttle tamer and change the gearing a bit? Don't suppose at 6'1" that you really need it, but you can lower them too because they have linkage rear, or take padding out of the seat.
phil_h

Post by phil_h »

The thing that I dont like about the fe350 is that it is most definitely 'race ready'. The smallest accidental whiff of throttle and its off. Fine if you're fresh and young, less so at the end of the day when you're tired and old!!!
I've learnt a lot riding it around but for enjoying nadgery lanes, I want something 'quieter' ;)
I'm progressing something in between the gs and the fe for more adventurous trips around the hills :)
Oh, and the fe is so bloody tall its catching me out in the afternoons when my hips are feeling the miles :lol:
2021 890 Adventure R
2020 500 Excf Rally Bike
2020 500 Excf Trail Bike
phil_h

Post by phil_h »

daveuprite wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:40 pm If the FE feels too harsh/powerful for what you need, maybe look at a throttle tamer and change the gearing a bit? Don't suppose at 6'1" that you really need it, but you can lower them too because they have linkage rear, or take padding out of the seat.
I'm using the slower throttle tube and it doesnt make much difference with these engines with no flywheel.
The power delivery isnt harsh - its buttery, but its also _racey_ and thats not what I want - the gs has plenty of power if I want it but its throttle response is much softer.
I've also got a custom seat without 'that ridge' so its a bit lower and softer, but transfers the vibration through more.
2021 890 Adventure R
2020 500 Excf Rally Bike
2020 500 Excf Trail Bike
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

Hello there Phil I am guessing that if you are willing to buy one blind you have sat on one etc to understand that they are quite small bikes, a mate has one but he would not part with it for similar reasons you want one but he is a short guy.
byewayrider

Post by byewayrider »

Have you thought about a more modern crf250l... Loads on ebay and well for a simple plodding trail bike they don't get much cheaper or as reliable...

My friend loves his he just plods along come what may... He did redoo the rear shock and the engine but most have been modded by now.

Something like the one below?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303704768909
Solo ktm690 euro trail rider
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

I simply think that the Serow is a great little bike especially if you get one with the rear disc. However, they are small but with bar raisers I stand up for most of the time so that doesn't bother me. They are not light but their weight is low down. Try to find the wider American style footpegs as they are much comfier but still low if you get stuck into a deep rut, I simply stand on one leg or lift my feet up :lol:

Trials bike or motocross they are not but frugal most certainly as I am sure that mine must run on fairy farts because it just seems to go for ever on a tank full of petrol :o

Easy to work on and reliable although some parts are now getting harder to find.

I did like the Beta 4 which uses Suzuki 350 engine but it is heavier. Mine was very economical so no problems with tank range, just getting a bit too top heavy for me now.

How about filing the throttle cable groove in the twist grip of your current bike?

TTFN

Hugh.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

I agree with all the comments so far.
I dont think you will be happy with the Serrow .. too small and puny.
I tried a mates serrow once .. it felt like it should have stabilisers on and nappy provided .. for the wrong reasons.
When i got off and started my then Dr .. i did a accidental wheelie ... me ... that was the difference from the gentle serrow.

crf250L or ttr250 would suit your size fine?
tho both are too heavy for really nadgery trails ... tho theres loads do fine on them?
phil_h

Post by phil_h »

I have ridden my friend's alp 200 out on the trails and got on fine with that, even without bar raisers - I run 1" raisers on my fe350 and I think the same on the alp would work.
I have also ridden a serow around their garden - not a testing trial but I think its just a little larger... and the tank is much bigger which takes away a worry.
Since posting earlier my friends have emailed me an ad from swansea for a crf230 - which I hadnt appreciated was different to the crf250L - and it looks like a nice one and quite close, so a friend is going to try and have a look at it for me tomorrow.

I'm trying to keep to a <110kg dry weight so that I can be sure I'll be able to pick it up from (almost) any position when I go out by myself. I like the idea of the crf250L but it does weigh a lump more.
(I also have a 'hidden agenda' of trying to find something that mrs h will have a go on, as she's getting fearless on her mtb around our hills)
2021 890 Adventure R
2020 500 Excf Rally Bike
2020 500 Excf Trail Bike

Return to “FOR SALE - WANTED”