A new problem has appeared.

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Dark Knight

A new problem has appeared.

Post by Dark Knight »

Out on the bike today, up at Tyndrum and Glen Ogle, a bit on the wild side.
Coming back down the road all was well untill the section from Lochearnhead to Callander.
Because the road is narrower at this point, any cyclists slow the traffic down to 10 MPH as the cars and mobile homes cannot get past, resulting in long tail backs.
Being on a bike its possible, but because the traffic is going so slow, there are not many gaps to pop into to miss oncoming traffic.
Its getting a bit hairy and this road could become unusable in the future.
Elmer J Fudd

Re: A new problem has appeared.

Post by Elmer J Fudd »

Same local to me on the A737, 3 cyclists on the road together and a 3.5 mile tailback behind them (just checked on maps).

Luckily I was going the other way.

Yes, they have the right to be there, however are they so stupid as to not realise that they are causing a huge queue, or do they just not care?
clutchspring

Post by clutchspring »

What exactly do you want cyclist's to do when a tail back builds up behind us F***King vanish!.
I'm a keen cyclists & post's like this just wind me up.
Why can't you just except your going to get held up on our overcrowded roads by some thing or other like tractors, oaps etc & stop having a go at other people enjoying their hobby .
bowber

Post by bowber »

clutchspring wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:01 am What exactly do you want cyclist's to do when a tail back builds up behind us F***King vanish!.
Why can't you just except your going to get held up on our overcrowded roads by some thing or other like tractors, oaps etc & stop having a go at other people enjoying their hobby .
Yes we do expect to get held up, but we also expect a bit of common sense to be used by cyclists too, it works both ways so after a while just pull over and let the queue past, or if it's a wagon that's unable to get past let the wagon past so traffic flow can resume.
I was up in Scotland for the last week of August and while a lot of cyclists were sensible there was enough militant "I've got the right to be here" ones refusing to pull over and let the huge, often miles long, queue of vehicles past. On Scotlands narrow roads there's even signs reminding slower drivers to allow faster traffic to pass them, surely this applys to cyclists too?

Steve
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

When I drove tractors, I would pull over to let traffic past when possible/necessary.

If I could do that when working against the clock (got to get back to the field from the grain store before the bin on the combine fills up), then a load of MAMILs getting their jollies from anti-chaffing cream and a suitably-shaped saddle can bloody well do the same.

And yes, I ride a bicycle. But it's not a 'look at me and my gonads' lifestyle accessory. MAMIL cyclists are like Harley riders: they only do it to get up other people's noses.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Had to look up MAMIL. Now I know, I kind of wish I hadn't....

Asgard

Post by Asgard »

clutchspring wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:01 am What exactly do you want cyclist's to do when a tail back builds up behind us F***King vanish!.
I'm a keen cyclist have been for many years.
If I'm in this situation, i pull to side as soon as safe, it just means I wait a couple of minutes and many others are not held up, it simply the considerate thing to do.

I've noticed since this pandemic a great increase in entitled millenial twats in lycra riding around with no consideration at all, they arent cyclists, they're twats.
Its a trick............get an Axe
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Why is there a problem with what hobbyists are wearing? When I raced and rode sports bikes I wore one-piece leathers. When I do a day of off-roading I wear body armour, Klim dakars and a peaked helmet. When I go to a Hawaiian fancy dress party I get pissed and wear the loudest shirt possible.

So I suppose it's fine for cyclists to wear their lycra if that's what they feel comfy in... N'est ce pas?
clutchspring

Post by clutchspring »

I agree that any one causing a tailback should if possible pull over , but round wear I live we have a well known local cycling club & a lot of the members take their cycling very seriously,
I just cycle to keep the weight down & keep fit but some of them around hear go out on fully kitted out time trials bikes & are doing there ride against the clock.
Try telling some of them to pull over , but then again there probably going faster than some OAP on there way to the garden centre 😂.
Elmer J Fudd

Post by Elmer J Fudd »

As I said they have a right to be there, of course in that locality they could have used the off-road cycle track or unclassified rural road parallel not far away, but that is a mute point....

If you cycle along and people are queuing behind you, you pull over and let the queue dissipate, then move on. This is what our local farmers do, so why should cyclists feel they can hold everyone up mile after mile? on that stretch of A737 (between Howood and Roadhead roundabout) there were several turnings and entrances which could have been used to pull over. 3.5 miles of a queue takes some time to build up....

Another point being the frustration caused can lead to accidents or dangerous overtaking manoeuvres. Maybe not right, but you can understand it.

I walk, cycle, motorcycle and drive a car on our roads, funny how the cyclists are generally the ones on pavements scattering pedestrians, riding through red lights (even at pedestrian crossings) and going down one way streets the wrong way. Is that just enjoying your hobby or being a selfish Shit?

Enjoy your hobby, absolutely; but not at the expense of everyone else.

Return to “TRAVEL”