Bikers ain't what they used to be.

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
dubber68

Re: Bikers ain't what they used to be.

Post by dubber68 »

chrisjk wrote: โ†‘Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:18 pm I was on my way home through France from a three week circumnavigation of Spain when I came across this guy pushing his scooter and sweating buckets. I had enough French to ask him if he needed help and he said that I was the first person to stop and offer in three hours of pushing. Reckon I did more for Anglo-French relations at that point than many before or since!

I had no rope or anything to give him a tow but he said he was now only a kilometre from home and that he would manage. He had not run out of fuel and the scooter was broken in some way. So after a pleasant chat I left him to it.

Well done that man. ๐Ÿ‘
I work to live. I live to ride. I ride to work, Ever felt like your going in circles.

Yamaha XT1200Z, Sertao, Herald 250, Xcountry & Vanvan

[IMG]http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj4 ... POINTS.jpg[/IMG
Snaf MKII

Post by Snaf MKII »

The last time we stopped to help someone was a chap on an EXC with a flat tyre in France, we'd driven past him in our slightly tatty Transit and turned around, by the time we'd got back he was hiding his bike in the hedge. He was slightly relieved when we pulled a bike stand out the back and offered a tube and tools to fix it.
mark vb

Post by mark vb »

I don't expect or want any favours when stopping for a strandded motorcyclist. But sometimes a nice surprise follows.... we stopped for these guys in Chile who'd run out of fuel. It transpired they ran a hostel in the town we were heading for and they insisted we stop by, which we did, only to be accommodated in said hostel, gratis. And when we helped out another guy who'd run dry, we were thanked with a fistful of Coca leaves - which was quite apt, being at some 4000m.
Attachments
2573.jpg
2573.jpg (73.18 KiB) Viewed 2314 times
1586.jpg
1586.jpg (89.82 KiB) Viewed 2314 times
1585.jpg
1585.jpg (105.69 KiB) Viewed 2314 times
dubber68

Post by dubber68 »

In the past I have stopped to help when in the car to help another car that had run out of petrol. I took him to a Petrol station that was on the other side of the toll Bridge I had just come over. I then had to cross it a third time to get him back to his car and he never offered to pay the tolls. I didn't really mind and chalked it up to karma points, but if the tables had been reversed I would have paid the tolls and a little petrol money as well. Its nice that so many people do still stop.
I work to live. I live to ride. I ride to work, Ever felt like your going in circles.

Yamaha XT1200Z, Sertao, Herald 250, Xcountry & Vanvan

[IMG]http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj4 ... POINTS.jpg[/IMG
uturntony

Post by uturntony »

Agent Orange wrote: โ†‘Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:23 pm I agree, once stopped for a power ranger on an R1, offered him my puncture repair kit and tyre pump. Refused and said the Rac are coming in 90 mins :shock: so I tossed him my spare apple and said enjoy the wait :mrgreen:
His face was priceless

If i was just out for a bimble on my Himalayan (tubed tyres) going nowhere in particular with no need for onward travel i would do the same thing as it's a damn sight easier to fix it in my workshop than at the side of the road. If i was on my GS (tubeless tyres) i would look see if a plug would fix it, if yes, plug it, if no, recovery truck. I do carry all the gear with me to do the job by the way.
Agent Orange

Post by Agent Orange »

uturntony wrote: โ†‘Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:04 pm
Agent Orange wrote: โ†‘Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:23 pm I agree, once stopped for a power ranger on an R1, offered him my puncture repair kit and tyre pump. Refused and said the Rac are coming in 90 mins :shock: so I tossed him my spare apple and said enjoy the wait :mrgreen:
His face was priceless

If i was just out for a bimble on my Himalayan (tubed tyres) going nowhere in particular with no need for onward travel i would do the same thing as it's a damn sight easier to fix it in my workshop than at the side of the road. If i was on my GS (tubeless tyres) i would look see if a plug would fix it, if yes, plug it, if no, recovery truck. I do carry all the gear with me to do the job by the way.
It was a tyre plugger, I was on an old GS12 then, think it was a case of 'all the gear no idea' on his part mind, inthought twice about offering to do it lol
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

seems to be a few more nodding/waving, on the road, recently.

a knowing grin off a young (obviously newbie) rider .. makes my day 8-)
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

A slightly depresssing thread in some ways for One who has both taken advantage of other riders generosity and I have been able to help the odd one or two along the way.

And not just when trail riding! ;)

Best one was 2-3 years ago, I was picking up a heating oil tank from neat Barrow. I had had a bit of a mission getting the tank on the trailer, as it was not quite as easy to get to as the seller had said... So started the trip back late afternoon and was heading back to the M6, when I saw a guy and his Missus with a 1930 outfit, parked on the side of the road, and as I drove by, it was obviously broken!

So I doubled back around a pub car park and pulled alongside him. Big smile from a grubby rider. I asked what was the problem and he pointed out the problem of a broken spark plug with no way to get at it and get it out, even with his extensive tool kit. Happily, I had my full tractor and farm tool box. A quick furtle and a couple of spanners, a big hammer and we were getting there, the plug was an A1 bitch, but I had some deep sockets and found one that fitted....ish. 5 mins later and the beast pock, pock ,pocked into life.

His Missus was SO pleased...he was chuffed and I drove off with their thanks providing a happy glow. I even treated myself to a cup of m'way coffee on the way down :D
Last edited by SteveR on Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redbikejohn

Post by redbikejohn »

Couple of weeks back I stopped next to a guy parked up on the m25. Asked if he was OK and it turned out he was only stopped to take a pic of the nice sunset ๐Ÿ™„
Yamaha tenere 700
XT660Z written off from behind by car.

Check out www.redbikejohn.com for ride & race reports (enduro, H&H etc).
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

redbikejohn wrote: โ†‘Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:36 am Couple of weeks back I stopped next to a guy parked up on the m25. Asked if he was OK and it turned out he was only stopped to take a pic of the nice sunset ๐Ÿ™„
:lol:

Return to โ€œTHE PUBโ€