V85tt

The Things We Ride
chipy

V85tt

Post by chipy »

I have been looking at the V85TT dose anyone on here have one? And if so what are they like in the real world ?
1980 rs100, 1986 DT50 mx, 1990 fj1200, 1998 zzr600, 2003 R1150r, 2007 G650Xcountry, 2012 Honda wave 110, 2014 Beta alp 4.0, 2014 Beta alp 200, 2020 xt1200z
markoh

Re: V85tt

Post by markoh »

Have you ridden one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
djwarrack

Post by djwarrack »

Hello
If you haven't already it may be worth your while having a look at the V85 thread on the ADV rider forum. https://advrider.com/f/threads/moto-guz ... t.1265870/. But, it is 433 pages long!
As a Stelvio owner who may be looking to downsize it was of interest to me, but the bike's spec. leaves me unconvinced so i haven't yet had a test ride. If you do have a look at the ADV rider thread, I suggest you search out the posts from Pete Roper aka Motomoda. He is the acknowledged expert on all things Moto Guzzi, and is certainly forthright in his views.

Certainly, quite a few Stelvio owners un the UK and US have bought a V85 and have been happy with them. I just wish that they had developed a 4 valve head for it as per the previous 1200 engine.

However, there is no substitute for a decent test ride and forming your own opinion.

Good luck

David
chipy

Post by chipy »

Test ride is booked for next week.
1980 rs100, 1986 DT50 mx, 1990 fj1200, 1998 zzr600, 2003 R1150r, 2007 G650Xcountry, 2012 Honda wave 110, 2014 Beta alp 4.0, 2014 Beta alp 200, 2020 xt1200z
nathanm

Post by nathanm »

I own one but have only managed 1500 miles this year due to Covid. I was supposed to do a coast to coast USA trip this summer on it which I think it would have been perfect for.

It's a nice manageable bike. Handles well - surefooted - good all day comfort, plenty of grunt off the bottom, it just feels a bike lacking at the top end.

I rode it back to back recently with a Tiger 900, Vstrom 1050 and Multistrada 950 and given the choice of that lot I still I'd keep the Guzzi, but they're not going to be for everyone.
macvisual

Post by macvisual »

Here's a link that might help you via ADV-Rider.com bike forum, over 400 pages of talk dedicated to the M.Guzzi V85 TT machine;

https://advrider.com/f/threads/moto-guz ... t.1265870/

Regards;
Peter
"Progress is not possible without deviation".

Frank Zappa
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Moto Guzzis are strange bikes. There's so much to recommend them, yet so much wrong with them.

What do you think of when you first think 'Guzzi'?

Italian, Stylish, Heritage, Unique, Quirky, Endearing, Appeal to Enthusiasts ?

Or is it:

Heavy, Agricultural, Crude and Basic ?

It's strange that the same range of bikes can result in all of these reactions. You wouldn't think something cool and stylish looking (e.g. Mk1 Le Mans) would also have ponderous handling and a tractor-like gearchange. The more recent and interesting Griso and 1200 Sport bikes look like they might have been Ducati Monster and 999/1098 rivals - but they have nowhere near the agility of the Bolognese bikes. You fundamentally need to be an enthusiast to want a Guzzi, prepared for its mix of cool style and relatively primitive dynamics - and prepared to forgive its short-comings. If only they had developed the MGS01 track bike into a mainstream sports offering, but they always seem to prioritise heritage retro over cutting edge technology - perhaps they just never see themselves competing with Ducati and don't even plan to try.

I still think I might end up owning one, because a bit of me really likes them a lot, and I've had bikes from almost everyone else, but I'm still not sure quite why....
Seniorider

Post by Seniorider »

nathanm wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:37 pm I own one - I rode it back to back recently with a Tiger 900, Vstrom 1050 and Multistrada 950 and given the choice of that lot I still I'd keep the Guzzi, but they're not going to be for everyone.
That's an interesting opinion nathanm. Would you care to expand on that please?
It seems that the rest of the world is besotted with the Tiger 900 at the moment.
On paper, I'd go for the Triumph, but I own a Triumph 800xc and a Guzzi V7ii at present and I'm selling the Triumph - even though it is a 'better' machine in almost every way.

Cheers

John
nathanm

Post by nathanm »

Seniorider wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:44 pm
nathanm wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:37 pm I own one - I rode it back to back recently with a Tiger 900, Vstrom 1050 and Multistrada 950 and given the choice of that lot I still I'd keep the Guzzi, but they're not going to be for everyone.
That's an interesting opinion nathanm. Would you care to expand on that please?
It seems that the rest of the world is besotted with the Tiger 900 at the moment.
On paper, I'd go for the Triumph, but I own a Triumph 800xc and a Guzzi V7ii at present and I'm selling the Triumph - even though it is a 'better' machine in almost every way.

Cheers

John
Hi John.

I bought the Guzzi for a coast to coast USA trip and went for it mainly for the shaft drive and simplicity. It is a bit lacking in power, especially compared to the other three but it's an easy bike to live with, all day comfortable and I just like the charm of it that the other three seem to lack.

I did like the 950 a lot. Great power and the electronic suspension was brilliant. Just a really sorted and well executed machine. A bit too trick and ultimately expensive for me. I also think the Suzuki is really polished now. They seem to have given the engine and the handling a bit more energy. I thought it was the most engaging bike to ride of the four and there's already some great prices on the 1050 XT. It'd probably be my second pick.

The Tiger I can totally see the appeal. It's a good all rounder and ticks a lot of boxes but it just left me a cold. I'm not sure that new engine is a step forward. To me it's lost some of the triple character and it's still not as punchy as the twins. It was the GT Pro I was riding, and I think they've just chucked a load of electronics at it to pump up the price and I'm sure the electronic suspension adds a lot, especially as it only operates on the rear, so to me it just upset the balance of the bike. If I was buying one I'd just go for the bog standard base model.

So the Guzzi is slow compared to the other three (frustratingly slow sometimes), but as a travel bike I'd still stick with it. As an everyday commuter and weekend blast around bike I'd probably go for one of the others.
Seniorider

Post by Seniorider »

Thanks Nathanm
Guzzis really are an acquired taste aren't they?
And yes, cost is a, maybe the, major consideration when choosing a motorcycle.
I plan to potter around on the V7 for a while to see whether I feel the need for more power (there's plenty of torque).
In the meantime, I might just sort out a test ride on a V85tt.

Cheers

John

Return to “BIKES”