EU. In or out?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
simonw
Posts: 602
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:41 pm
Has thanked: 40 times
Been thanked: 89 times

Re: EU. In or out?

Post by simonw » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:15 pm

OB1 wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:26 pm
Do people really think ..?
No.

Pre-order your limited edition ABR T-shirts
daveuprite
Posts: 3506
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:47 pm
Location: Limousin France
Has thanked: 1766 times
Been thanked: 2338 times

Re: EU. In or out?

Post by daveuprite » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:39 am

simonw wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:15 pm
OB1 wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:26 pm
Do people really think ..?
No.
As Descartes famously said, "I'm pink, therefore I'm spam".

Spike941
Posts: 1044
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:36 pm
Location: Cotswolds
Has thanked: 253 times
Been thanked: 205 times

Re: EU. In or out?

Post by Spike941 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:09 am

daveuprite wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:39 am
simonw wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:15 pm
OB1 wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:26 pm
Do people really think ..?
No.
As Descartes famously said, "I'm pink, therefore I'm spam".
Or as Antoine Léonard Thomas aptly captures Descartes’s intent “dubito, ergo cogito, ergo sum”

simonw
Posts: 602
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:41 pm
Has thanked: 40 times
Been thanked: 89 times

Re: EU. In or out?

Post by simonw » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:19 am

I see face coverings in shops are going to be mandatory from the 24th this month. I'm puzzled by the delay - surely if there's a risk which masks can mitigate, that risk is there now.

And does anyone know that Gove meant when he said that he trusted people's common sense on face coverings in shops? Is there some cirtieria as to whether one wears a mask in a shop - number of fellow shoppers and/or size and shape of store perhaps? A bizarre statement and an abdication of leadership.

User avatar
garyboy
Posts: 3131
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:14 pm
Location: Pontypridd
Has thanked: 1399 times
Been thanked: 615 times

Re: EU. In or out?

Post by garyboy » Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:26 pm

Spike941 wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:09 am
daveuprite wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:39 am
simonw wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:15 pm
OB1 wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:26 pm
Do people really think ..?
No.
As Descartes famously said, "I'm pink, therefore I'm spam".
Or as Antoine Léonard Thomas aptly captures Descartes’s intent “dubito, ergo cogito, ergo sum”

Some people doubt that i can think (dubitant cogito). .. they are usually called Dave (dubitat cogito).
But, (if) i know my thinking is faulty, I still therefor am (dubito adhuc ergo sum)

hmm .. a chance to use my schoolboy latin, for the first time ever after 50 years, and to show my infallible powers of research (good old Wikipedia quickie )
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cogito,_ergo_sum
i had to look up `still` in latin
Last edited by garyboy on Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DavidS
Posts: 1410
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:38 am
Location: East Sussex
Has thanked: 753 times
Been thanked: 349 times

Re: EU. In or out?

Post by DavidS » Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:34 pm

I thought the translation was:
“Fog in Channel, continent cut off“ One for the older members to recall.
A metaphor for the UK escaping the vicious tyranny of foreign control and the screen we will enclose ourselves with.
And it’s Bastille Day.

:lol: :lol:
2019 Triumph T120 Black
LOOKING FOR A USED 2019/20 KTM 690 ENDURO R

User avatar
garyboy
Posts: 3131
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:14 pm
Location: Pontypridd
Has thanked: 1399 times
Been thanked: 615 times

Re: EU. In or out?

Post by garyboy » Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:47 pm


User avatar
garyboy
Posts: 3131
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:14 pm
Location: Pontypridd
Has thanked: 1399 times
Been thanked: 615 times

Re: EU. In or out?

Post by garyboy » Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:54 pm

simonw wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:19 am
I see face coverings in shops are going to be mandatory from the 24th this month. I'm puzzled by the delay - surely if there's a risk which masks can mitigate, that risk is there now.

And does anyone know that Gove meant when he said that he trusted people's common sense on face coverings in shops? Is there some cirtieria as to whether one wears a mask in a shop - number of fellow shoppers and/or size and shape of store perhaps? A bizarre statement and an abdication of leadership.

yep .. Mr Gove meant for us to use our common sense of distance and measurement .. ie .. 1 metre plus .. :lol:

but DC must have got hold of it, (in a break from his procurement deals and brexit negotiations and eye tests) and had to proclaim the reality of the Great British sense of judgement and propriety, and instructed his bobo to make it Law, sos we could all understand
Last edited by garyboy on Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hotbulb
Posts: 761
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 2:55 pm
Has thanked: 57 times
Been thanked: 28 times

Re: EU. In or out?

Post by hotbulb » Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:03 pm

But why, if masks are compulsory wear in shops, are shopworkers NOT obliged to wear them? And why do people who need to lipread exempted from wearing masks?- surely the requirement for lip-readers is that the others, those speaking to them, don't have their faces covered ! These policy decisions are just not thought through

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk


User avatar
OB1
Posts: 2676
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:37 am
Location: Ipswich, Suffolk
Has thanked: 650 times
Been thanked: 286 times

Re: EU. In or out?

Post by OB1 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:06 pm

simonw wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:19 am
I see face coverings in shops are going to be mandatory from the 24th this month. I'm puzzled by the delay - surely if there's a risk which masks can mitigate, that risk is there now.

And does anyone know that Gove meant when he said that he trusted people's common sense on face coverings in shops? Is there some cirtieria as to whether one wears a mask in a shop - number of fellow shoppers and/or size and shape of store perhaps? A bizarre statement and an abdication of leadership.

What's this got to do with the EU? Wrong thread, surely?

Image
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com

Post Reply

Return to “THE PUB”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: chipy, Majestic-12 [Bot], Pint Master, Wonkyconk and 171 guests