EU. In or out?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Elmer J Fudd

Re: EU. In or out?

Post by Elmer J Fudd »

Tonibe63 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:07 pm
Elmer J Fudd wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:19 pm It goes on and on; when are people going to wake up?
Whilst I understand your frustrations and concerns I'm not quite sure what you expect us to do Elmer? The door has long been bolted and all we can do is hang on tight ......... there is a lot more to come.
I haven't got a clue to be fair.....
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Elmer J Fudd wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:22 pm
Bobo will probably appoint Dominatrix Cumming to run the enquiry as he is obviously independent.

Hope you're ready for this, and not eating anything right now....

Nigel

Post by Nigel »

DavidS wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:08 pm As far as I know, an EHIC won’t get you flown home when you (hopefully never) crash your bike and need to be repatriated. Anyone who has travelled in the EU without travel insurance was taking a big risk.
Granted, it’s handy for minor issues but it’s not the be all and end all.
Essentially you were paying for it in your taxes anyway...not that it will result in a discount.
Exactly! BIG accident on MTB in Spain 20 years ago, EHIC would have been as useful as a chocolate teapot ;)
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

Whilst on balance I would much prefer to remain in the EU, as I do not have millions in an offshore bank account so will not benefit from leaving, I think that having this bunch of clowns in charge is going to be particularly disastrous. Their handling of Covid and the arrogance and contempt that they have shown for the British public is not going to help them negotiate with the EU. I am now blocked from my local Tory MPs faceberk page mainly because I asked her why rushing Brexit through, despite the Covid 19 crisis, was so important and how it was going to benefit her constituents. Questions that she was unable to answer.
If the British public wasn’t so apathetic I think there would be major social unrest as the true extent of the impact becomes apparent. The financial cost is already astronomical and set to rise even further in the coming months, when we are already up the creek post Covid, whilst at least some other EU nations seem to be moving in the right direction.
I keep searching for some genuine positive post Brexit news but it does seem to be in rather short supply. Although I suppose if we manage to negotiate a trade deal with India, which is a big if as my understanding is that they want freedom of movement as part of any deal, I might be able to look forward to even cheaper Himalayan parts.
Cheers
lancashirelad

Post by lancashirelad »

Last time we went over by car we used EHICplus which tops up the benefits you get using EHIC card I still think there may be an agreement surely EU citizens get ill have minor accidents etc & use EHIC card so it’s a mutual benefit there’ll be a lot of postering before agreement is reached the EU needs an agreement as much as we do?
***just like Britney Spears oops I did it again……sold the Scrambler & as of now there may not be a replacement***
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

I'm afraid that no, the EU 27 don't need a deal as much as we do. Just 8% of the EU27's exports are to the UK, while 48% of the UK's exports are to the EU27.

This sums up the current position of what passes for the UK Government very well:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ngredients

Enjoy this year, folks, because next year will be terrible!
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Sanqhar

Post by Sanqhar »

Ehic won’t pay for the helicopter to get you off the side of a mountain with a broken ankle (July 2002, 1800 euros). Wife slipped while we were out for a walk near Arc 2000..
Won’t pay for a taxi from Bourg St Maurice hospital to Geneva airport. Won’t pay for three seats on a scheduled BA flight to Heathrow and won’t pay for a taxi from Heathrow to Suffolk.
I rode the bike back 4 days later.
Losing Ehic is no bad thing if it forces people to buy travel insurance.

Tom
... and today was a good day in the life of...
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

Regardless of whether you or I may chose to use extra insurance, or not, a great many Brits travelling to the EU chose not too and will therefore incur an additional cost in the future. Having the EHIC also reduced the cost of insurance as the basic medical needs were already covered. It remains to be seen whether we will be charged extra for motorcycle insurance when travelling in the EU or not, last year when I went I was given a green card by my insurance company free of charge, the last time I needed one of those was twenty five years ago and I think it cost me twenty quid then. I suppose looking on the bright side if the cost of travel to the EU goes up substantially fewer people will travel which will be good for the environment.
Cheers
OB1

Post by OB1 »

Do people really think that the EHIC card is travel insurance? If so, you need to read up about it. All that the EHIC card does is ensure that you will not have to pay for treatment in a hospital if you have an accident or fall ill somewhere in Europe. It is the same as if you had an accident or fell ill when you're in the UK but 150 miles from home: you will get medical care in the nearest facility but the NHS doesn't pay for your bike to be carted home. If people really think that the EHIC is an insurance card, it explains so much about why we are leaving the EU.
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com

Return to “THE PUB”