Hello from Cambridge area

If you're new to the site make your 1st post here. Tell us who you are, what you ride, your travel plans, bank account details etc.
POD

Hello from Cambridge area

Post by POD »

Hi,

Not yet an owner but I'm looking around for my first as I've test ridden a few friends bikes and pretty much fell in love.

I was set to do a Europe tour, well, now but that was obviously cancelled and we've rearranged for next year.

I'm mainly here looking for tips, ideas & advice ready for my 2 week tour next year.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Tonibe63

Re: Hello from Cambridge area

Post by Tonibe63 »

Welcome along.
Lots of experience and opinions among the inmates here so hopefully you'll get some helpful advice and tips.
Tony.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
C-Strom650

Post by C-Strom650 »

Hey Pod. What sort of bike are you after?
POD

Post by POD »

Hi,

Been looking at Honda Africa twin and also been looking at suzuki v-strom. (I'm a suzuki lover so obviously going more towards the strom).

Had a go on a couple friends stroms at bike meets and find them comfortable and easy to handle but been hearing some good things about the Africa twin, yes to test ride one though.

daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Welcome to the site.

When I was a student I went to Cambridge. It was a lovey day out...
C-Strom650

Post by C-Strom650 »

Well I freely admit that I'm extremely biased towards V-Stroms. As my name suggests. But I do believe the V-Strom is the better bike.
POD

Post by POD »

Would you say the 650 is more than enough?
I've heard that the slightly lighter weight makes a huge difference towards handling etc and doesn't make much difference in terms of the power compared to the 1000.

C-Strom650

Post by C-Strom650 »

More than enough, maybe. Depends on your riding style or what bike you are coming off. But I would say most likely. I've toured Europe 2 up with my wife's 5kg of face cream and hand cream and God know what else, on my 2012 650. I was able to keep up with the 1200GS solo riders. One even asked if my bike was the 1000 version. You're right, the 650 has better handling, braking, and suspension. Probably due to the lower weight. I'd rather have less weight to pick up on the trails than I would have more power on the roads. Power that you may never get to use. The 650 shares some parts with the Suzuki Gladius 650 and the SV650. So accessories and parts are easier to come by.
POD

Post by POD »

More than enough, maybe. Depends on your riding style or what bike you are coming off. But I would say most likely. I've toured Europe 2 up with my wife's 5kg of face cream and hand cream and God know what else, on my 2012 650. I was able to keep up with the 1200GS solo riders. One even asked if my bike was the 1000 version. You're right, the 650 has better handling, braking, and suspension. Probably due to the lower weight. I'd rather have less weight to pick up on the trails than I would have more power on the roads. Power that you may never get to use. The 650 shares some parts with the Suzuki Gladius 650 and the SV650. So accessories and parts are easier to come by.

I'd be coming off a bandit 1250s (although I'd be keeping that bike as I love it to pieces). I'd definitely be taking anything I use offroad or at least like it to have the capability of going off road if it needs to.
Definitely useful that it shares some parts. Super useful info and you're definitely selling me more towards the strom.

Would you say there is a particular year thats good or known for issues?

C-Strom650

Post by C-Strom650 »

The gen 1 are basic. No ABS 22ltr tank. They are pretty good and solid.
The gen 2 2012 were given a smidge more power, a little lighter and the tank reduced to 20ltr. They got ABS but Yu can wire in a switch or yank the fuse if you're going hardcore off roading.
There's a gen 2.5 2015 called the XT that came with spoked wheels and a beak.
Then there's the gen 3 2017+ They got another tiny power upgrade and a smidge lighter as well as traction control, cornering ABS, low RPM assist (for the noobs who can't work a clutch), and one push start button. All models come with a remote preload adjuster for the rear, which is pretty sweet. As far as issues, the oil filter sticks out like it wants to get knocked off, so you'll need a skid plate if you plan to take it off road. All models suffer from the water pump case coating corroding off. If you want to keep it looking nice, just ACF50 it. Apart from that, they're tanks. Ride into the apocalypse and out the other side.

Return to “WELCOME NEWBIE”