ktm 790 adventure r perfection or myth

The Things We Ride
fozzy17

Re: ktm 790 adventure r perfection or myth

Post by fozzy17 »

dibbs wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:21 am Dave, I like these and have ridden the standard one, my dealer is getting an R for demo this month , but looking at other bikes (ie T7 and PR7) is the KTM worth all the extra money like 3-4k!!!! do you really like it that much? is it the 'game changer' that is touted around? and did you look at other bikes before buying? would welcome your thoughts...
i think the official price of a tenere is £9150 now its a good price when it was £8300 at launch but i dont think its great value now its very basic and its a budget bike, you can get a new 790r for 11k new (19) and second hand around 10k

the ktm tops the tenere everywhere, from fuel range to engine performance suspension, electronics , a friend of mine has just bought a tenere last week so i will hold out until i have rode it and compared it side by side
Crossrutted

Post by Crossrutted »

dibbs wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:24 am
Crossrutted wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:16 pm Dibbs, I chose a PR7 over the 790 because the 790 ergos did not work for me, the PR7's did.
The lack of some form of screen on the 790 was also a factor.

Obviously the PR7 is a 600cc single so it's road performance is not comparable to that of the 790.

Off road, the PR7 has plenty, unless your name is Price, Sunderland or Knight!

Thanks
Im going to look at one this weekend! off road im a wobbler, but how does it hold its speed on the road ie motorway and A road speeds as i will need to do some 75 mph type riding for say 200-300 miles at a time and dont want to be begging to get off it!!

How did you get on with the PR7 test, Dibbs?

On your behalf, I recently did a further A Road and M Way evaluation. Bearing in mind I've geared mine down by 1 tooth at the front, it had no trouble maintaining the Legal Limits . It may even be able to exceed them comfortably.....

The seat is possibly the most comfortable 'off road' seat I've owned. (My comparison is my old KTM Super Enduro which I rode to Morocco and back which was ok but not brilliant, the AJP is much better.)
phil_h

Post by phil_h »

Moli is hoping to start up 1-2-1 sessions in July, but here in Wales we're all expecting that tw4t Drayford to keep us more restricted than England for a long time.
I've booked a sesh on a 790 anyway. Well you have to dream dont you :)
2021 890 Adventure R
1982 R80 G/S with Siebenrock
2020 500 Excf Rally Bike
2020 500 Excf Trail Bike
1957 Velocette 500 Scrambler
dibbs

Post by dibbs »

Crossrutted wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 10:49 am
Crossrutted wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:16 pm Dibbs, I chose a PR7 over the 790 because the 790 ergos did not work for me, the PR7's did.

Obviously the PR7 is a 600cc single so it's road performance is not comparable to that of the 790.

Thanks
Im going to look at one this weekend! off road im a wobbler, but how does it hold its speed on the road ie motorway and A road speeds as i will need to do some 75 mph type riding for say 200-300 miles at a time and dont want to be begging to get off it!!

On your behalf, I recently did a further A Road and M Way evaluation. Bearing in mind I've geared mine down by 1 tooth at the front, it had no trouble maintaining the Legal Limits . It may even be able to exceed them comfortably.....

The seat is possibly the most comfortable 'off road' seat I've owned. (My comparison is my old KTM Super Enduro which I rode to Morocco and back which was ok but not brilliant, the AJP is much better.)
Really well! I was hoping not to like it but I did!!! very light feeling, and seems very capable for the road. The only issue I had was that the throttle was quite snatchy at low speed, but I did try another bike they had that was used for rallying and was well run in and had been dynode! and it was like butter, very smooth through all the rev range. So the up shot is if I can sell my other bikes ill be on the list for one, oh both bikes I rode were the upgraded ones!
Crossrutted

Post by Crossrutted »

dibbs wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 9:11 am
Crossrutted wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 10:49 am

Thanks

Really well! I was hoping not to like it but I did!!! very light feeling, and seems very capable for the road. The only issue I had was that the throttle was quite snatchy at low speed, but I did try another bike they had that was used for rallying and was well run in and had been dynode! and it was like butter, very smooth through all the rev range. So the up shot is if I can sell my other bikes ill be on the list for one, oh both bikes I rode were the upgraded ones!
I think most UK bikes have been delivered with the full power kit fitted, apparently the standard tune is more gentle at low throttle openings. The snatch (which is very small IMO) can be improved by alternative mapping.

The PR7 is a really good bike IMO, a rounded package - far superior to the current 690/701 Austrian offering.
Cone

Post by Cone »

Opening a can of worms there PR7 superior to a 690 or 701..

As a 701 owner my bikes the best thing since sliced bread even though the list of things gone wrong is as long as my arm. Every time I think I cant stand the lack of reliability any more I get home from a ride grinning from ear to ear trying to pop stupid power wheelies at 50-60mph or faster.
Crossrutted

Post by Crossrutted »

Cone wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 7:53 pm Opening a can of worms there PR7 superior to a 690 or 701..
:D Calm yourself, I meant in my opinion, not claiming it as fact. :lol:

However, I do think the 701 is possibly the best looking bike in that class - and intended to buy one.
Unfortunately after two test rides I concluded that it was too cramped for me so went the PR7 route.

The latest 690/701 engine is great - so few vibes and plenty(!) of power.

PR7 is a better overall package tho'. IMO ;)
Barftone

Post by Barftone »

Try a used 1090 adventure r before commiting ;)
frenchy3

Post by frenchy3 »

I owned the SWMRS650R . AJP bought the engines from SWM and it really is a great engine. From the dealer the engine map made the throttle very snatchy at low RPM which was no doubt due to the emissions regulations. I had the full power map installed and it was one of the smoothest single cylinder bike i have owned apart from my Royal Enfield Himalayan. My bike was rated at around 54bhp but i think the full power AJP PR7 has 60bhp with the Doma pipe.
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

heres the thing i went to buy a pr7 this week i always had it down as me next bike ..the test ride was a standard bike and my oh my was it flat ..i dont believe it puts out the 48 they say i think its less than 40 it certainly isntas quick a t old tenere or a old 650 klr ...so the power up version m,ust be the only real option ...so another grand ..then maby a thork ecu update then id need luggage solutions so iim now potentially well over ten grand ..i really liked the actual bike and shassis but were a bit unsure as the front suspension seemed pretty harsh on shatp edged hits so ive resolved to try and ride one with thpower up kit
the other thing i realised after is the gearbox is the low ration one with a shoter 5th and 6th than the original motor .im wondering now if i an pick ip a 650r swm with the better box and graft some forks on it for r4k
im not really so sure what to do as at ten grand i really do need to think hard ..it has a great chasis and feels ace its actually 10ks heavier than me rally but feels 15ks lighter
dunno on the fence at the moment but the standard bike is way way short of what s needed ...i accep totally its a ploy to get it thriugh ennisions but the swm 650r motor was way way way better ..infact it was brilliant ..so i was really disspointed with the pr7 as standard
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map

Return to “BIKES”