Latest ravings from the rubber room

Reports, meets and other stuff on how to trash the bike with a grin on your chops.
boboneleg

Re: Latest ravings from the rubber room

Post by boboneleg »

Cheers Richard, I've had no access to their comic since I lost my subscription to the Byways and Bridleways trust.

As I suspected though somethings never change. No actual photos of vehicles causing the damage that they refer to. Perhaps we should take photos of all the scars on hillsides etc caused by trains of ramblers marching up Pen-y-fan or countless places in the peaks and the Lake District.
one-legged adventurer
phil_h

Post by phil_h »

Very interesting, if heavy, reading.
I have no knowledge of any of the lanes except Wolven Lane in Surrey. I have run on it many times during cross-country races, so I know it intimately ;) After it was turned into a near-motorway (compared to its previous state), some parts were quickly reverted to random deep ruts by... yes, mother nature ! Heavy persistent rain on sand = more instant erosion than you can get with 4wds.
However, I have also ridden it on a trail bike and stalled in the middle of a waist deep bomb-hole across the whole track caused by speeding 4wds repeatedly washing out the surface.
What can be done to catch the people who really dont care about anything except themselves ?
2021 890 Adventure R
1982 R80 G/S with Siebenrock
2020 500 Excf Rally Bike
2020 500 Excf Trail Bike
1957 Velocette 500 Scrambler
Asgard

Post by Asgard »

The whole Landscape is blighted by centuries of hill farming, it would otherwise be all woodland, these walkers are full of shit they wouldn't know a natural landscape if it kicked them up the backside as they got out of their toyota Prius and bent over to put their red socks on
Its a trick............get an Axe
Snaf MKII

Post by Snaf MKII »

Thanks for posting Richard, as per usual some very condescending language when they don't get their way.

The Holbeam route mentioned in Devon is my first lane heading west from home (no longer used due to voluntary restraint) , unfortunately much of what they have said is true. What started off as some local residents messing around on small pit bikes has turned into swamp digging 4x4 use. None of the current damage is attributable to bikes as the water filled holes would swallow one whole.

Interesting that the EA are concerned as it's part of the flood prevention scheme for Newton Abbot, during heavy rains the valley including this route are purposely flooded.
dibbs

Post by dibbs »

I'm familiar with the Dunmow lane in question and it is sad to see the 4x4 have destroyed it with 4ft deep ruts and bomb holes that would swallow a bike! and then to drag the Gabions out of the way is taking the piss! it would be easy for a council person to sit there and film it and prosecute accordingly, but they want to be in their ivory towers at the weekends I guess!

It does seem to me that most of the people doing the complaining are rich landowner types that know a barrister or two and think that they can just shut down BOATS etc because its an inconvenience to them, not appreciating these ancient routes have been used for centuries by all traffic!

Then GLASS and TRF et al have to go crowd funding to try and defend such actions, whilst I am not a member of either organisation its a shame that he who has most money will win this ongoing situation, perhaps I should donate to the cause, so I can still bimble through Dunmow ford in the future...
bowber

Post by bowber »

I've not read the article but I can guess it's content, what upsets me about people moaning about damage on a road (call it what you want but it's still a road) is that it was man made and just needs repairing.
Yes it's annoying that some users are inconsiderate and use routes at times that are unsuitable, or in some cases cause deliberate damage but it can be repaired, the main concern is the money needed to repair the damage.

Steve
Asgard

Post by Asgard »

I know....become a Farmer, then you can drive your tractor/quad/range rover/sheep herding KTM with small permanently bolted on poison sprayer pretty much anywhere, treat common land as your own private sheep/cow rearing facility and partake in the favourite pastimes of burning/poisoning/shooting anything that threatens the purity of your acres of mono-culture

Oh and you get to tell even the red socks to "ger orf moy land" :lol:
Its a trick............get an Axe
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

bowber wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 9:51 am I've not read the article but I can guess it's content, what upsets me about people moaning about damage on a road (call it what you want but it's still a road) is that it was man made and just needs repairing.
Yes it's annoying that some users are inconsiderate and use routes at times that are unsuitable, or in some cases cause deliberate damage but it can be repaired, the main concern is the money needed to repair the damage.

Steve

To be fair, much of what is being complained about is people diverting from agreed legal rights of way to tear about on nearby land.
However, it is beyond me why the injured parties don't talk to the police about what evidence would be required, then instal concealed security cameras. Or, perish the thought, could the damage be being done at the direction of the landowner, to try to get the lane closed.
I recall, in the dim and distant past, some trailriders happening upon a farm tractor stuck in a lane when the farmer had got a bit carried away in his efforts to prove the land was being damaged by vehicles. And another case, where the BBC news hired a Land Rover so they could film themselves damaging a lane in Cambridgeshire that was subsequently closed.
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings folks,

Typical claims and counter claims with rogue elements on both sides of the number of wheels argument. Exactly the same claims of who is responsible go on throughout the country, education and informative signage of routes would help. Unfortunately those who do not care about the environment will continue to use off piste land and if we come across such blatant behaviour then we need to report to the Police.

It is imperative that we get behind and fund either/both GLASS and the TRF if we are to have any chance to hold onto our Right to use these lanes.

I am firmly of the opinion that we need collective effort and lead by example (take note government people). No matter how you look at the fiscal side of things the Authorities do not have the finances to police, maintain or repair these places so it must fall to volunteer groups. We can often repair routes with small working parties, low cost, minimal effort with enough hands followed by a ride or drive afterwards. 'We' recently (pre covid) cleared a route, had lunch supplied by one of the 4X4 folk with a big soup pan, and then took advantage of the weather to go explore.

TTFN

Hugh.

Ps up to my arse with similar alligators here in the Peak District :lol:

Return to “GREEN LANES, TRAILS and OFF-ROAD”