Covid 19 Coronavirus

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
daveuprite

Re: Covid 19 Coronavirus

Post by daveuprite »

Asgard wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 11:32 am They is all at it Dave, No UK political party has an ounce of credibility in my eyes

Currently re-reading the book "Fidel Castro My Life" and whilst I have issues with some (not many) of his beliefs he did at least have integrity, something Western Politicians seem to have lost a long long time ago
Very interesting I'm sure. I read this while I was in Cuba. It's a fascinating memoir:

Asgard

Post by Asgard »

I took my mountain bike with me to Cuba many years ago, on arrival I was taken aside, when I told the officer what was in the bag I recieved a hard stare and quote: "there are no mountains in Cuba" :lol: , combine this with the fact that I had just shaved my head after finding head lice and my passport still showing my dredds I guess I was asking for it, never mind 4 hours later they let me go on my way.

Beautifull country, fantastic people, I hope to go again one day but hear it has changed a lot in the last couple of decades

Sorry for thread drift, but as an aside as you know Cuba has a world beating Medical care system and many doctors per capita, I hope Italy and Spain remember the help they got from the despicable commie bastids during this Pandemic as opposed to the fuck all they got from the Land of the free
Its a trick............get an Axe
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

595EAAA0-1A66-42D7-9F86-4768EE69F4D3.jpeg
595EAAA0-1A66-42D7-9F86-4768EE69F4D3.jpeg (173.2 KiB) Viewed 1695 times
:D
Last edited by Jak* on Sat May 23, 2020 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Asgard

Post by Asgard »

Your Link just goes to the gmail sign in page
Its a trick............get an Axe
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

Sorry I’ve got it right now. Thanks
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

Playing devil’s advocate with no axe to grind as whether it is Cummings or not is academic.

If your wife went down with Covid, the odds of you getting it in some form are pretty high and it could be anything from mild to hospital ventilator. You have a young child. What would YOU do to make sure the kid was looked after?
My wife and I both had flu at the same time about 30 years ago and looking after ourselves was bad enough so looking after a kid at the same time would have been very difficult. It only lasted two or three days as well, not two weeks or more.

Whether it was Cummins, Starmer, Krankie or whoever did it, I would fully understand as, I assume, sitting in your car from A to B is hardly creating a risk.
Nipping round for a quickie or a family get together is far far worse. Do you reserve the same job loss requirements for EVERYONE who breaches the rules? I get that these people should be setting an example but making an example of them isn’t necessarily the answer.

To be honest, the persistent hatred of the government by some on here is getting tiresome and like a stuck record. Always searching for some allegation to bitch about. This is not about my political leaning but about general attitude. Yes, governments have to be held to account but all the clever dicks who now better are really pi**ing me off. I don’t know any country that is handling this that well except, maybe, South Korea, but I don’t fancy living there.

I’m heading for a G&T. Happy moaning! There has to be more to life than self induced depression.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

I think New Zealand have done rather well.
It is not really about individuals, it is about hypocrisy. At the time DC drove 260 miles he was, according to his wife, on the road to recovery. He was certainly well enough to drive 260 miles. Those people I know who have had the virus were certainly not in a state to drive safely. The latest government statement seems to imply he was incapable of looking after his four year old whilst his wife was ill.
I suspect like me you know of or may have had family members in a similar position who did not break the government rules. The point being they made the rules and expect the police to uphold them, whilst breaking them themselves. Part of the roll of government officials is to demonstrate standards, there are a lot of people I know who would at the very least have been disciplined at work if they had admitted to the things that Boris and members of his cabinet have done and yet they seem to be above the law.
We should not forget that we, assuming that you are a UK tax payer, pay these people’s wages. It is also not a party political matter, there are a lot of Tory supporters who are outraged at this government’s performance. As I said earlier this is yet another example of the government letting down the key workers who Boris likes to photographed clapping for every week.
Cheers
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

Agree with you about NZ. The UK is an odd case in that there is a large population in a very small area, with London having a population equivalent to a small country so the chances of passing it on must be much much higher than, say, Germany, France or Spain.

I am not inclined to disagree about most of your comments Jak but I have now read or heard three different versions of Cummins’ situation. One that his wife had it and he didn’t, two that they both had it and three, as you say, he was recovering. How are we to make proper opinions when the reporting is so iffy and, in most cases, excessively negative. If it was me, I probably would have done the same as he did but probably got some advice first.

As ever, hindsight is a wonderful but flawed thing.
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

I guess the point is that if you, or I had done the same David, we may, or may not have got into trouble, but we would not be putting coppers in a very difficult position. Unfortunately I think that will now be the case.
Cheers
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

I think they are on a hiding to nothing by trying to make it so you can go anywhere rather then having to do stop and check.
With the Department numbers on French registrations (presumably still the case) it is easy to see who has sneaked out but trying to control, say, 50 mile travel, ANPR would go into meltdown and too slow to respond.

Unfortunately there are too many people who think they can take the proverbial.
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R

Return to “THE PUB”