Great Western Trail (TET)

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
dibbs

Great Western Trail (TET)

Post by dibbs »

So as im not going to Portugal now to ride the ACT as the ferry is definitely cancelled :( , im thinking of riding the Great Western Trail part of the TET from Salisbury down to Lands End and back again! I've tried searching for info on this, and it seems a bit scarce. My dilemma is that is it doable on a big bike (Africa Twin) as I will have to ride down there from Essex which is a fair old way, and although I have a Husky 450 I don't really want to ride that on the back roads to get to the start point as it could take a while!!! but might be a better bike for the job. I don't have the luxury of a van or a trailer and don't want to hire said van as it would be sitting in a car park somewhere for about 6 days! so hence the question about the big bike. The TET forum is down right now so couldn't ask this question on there so thought I would try here to see who's done it.

Nico-D

Re: Great Western Trail (TET)

Post by Nico-D »

Can't help with specifics on that I'm afraid but there is a facebook TET page where you could get the info, don't do facebook personally so it's annoying the TET forum is still down.
Are you going to be doing it alone ? Personally I'd take the Husky but I'm a smaller bike guy, I wouldn't be able to get myself out of trouble with anything heavy. When I've done the TET routes out here in France on my DRZ the only big trailies I've encountered were travelling in groups so they could help each other out which seems sensible. Personally I take the small bike and travel the back roads but we're all different :D
MotoCP

Post by MotoCP »

Hey Dibbs, not sure if you prefer traveling solo or not, but if the trail is a challenge on the bigger bike then you might want some help getting through it.

Not sure when your thinking but I might be interested in doing it (also on my AT) if you want company?
phil_h

Post by phil_h »

TRF have updated their advice for riding with new government guidelines. Whitepaper PDF link: https://trf.us8.list-manage.com/track/click

In summary:

* As lockdown measures are eased, whether you ride for essential reasons or just for recreation, observe social distancing and good hygiene measures at all times to help halt transmission of the virus.
* Ride alone, (other than members of your own household), or with at most one other person.
* Stop well away from other people. Take food and drink etc with you.
* Be COVID-safe at fuel stops.
* Do not gather in crowds.
* Know what COVID safety kit you are going to take with you and use it sensibly.
* Plan your route so you can always return home safely the same day.
* Know how you are going to deal safely with any emergencies.
* Do not ride at all if you or members of your household have symptoms and need to self-isolate.
* Think carefully about the risks if you are over 70 or have a pre-existing condition.
* Don't damage the image of motorcycling in the lockdown by riding irresponsibly.
* Be aware that at present the guidelines for leaving the house for other than essential reasons may be different in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.
2021 890 Adventure R
1982 R80 G/S with Siebenrock
2020 500 Excf Rally Bike
2020 500 Excf Trail Bike
1957 Velocette 500 Scrambler
bowber

Post by bowber »

If I know the trails I'm going on I'd be able to make an informed description based on my experience and skill level but we can't make that call for you, I might say no way and you ride through the whole lot one handed puffing in a pipe wondering what all the fuss was about ;-), so in this case I'd be taking the small enduro bike and taking a couple of hours extra to travel, a bit of a sore arse and enjoying a ride through minor roads would be a small price to pay for the ability to just ride through something the AT might need 4 strong men and a winch to get through, especially if you're by yourself.

Steve
bowber

Post by bowber »

phil_h wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 10:39 am TRF have updated their advice for riding with new government guidelines. Whitepaper PDF link: https://trf.us8.list-manage.com/track/click

In summary:

* As lockdown measures are eased, whether you ride for essential reasons or just for recreation, observe social distancing and good hygiene measures at all times to help halt transmission of the virus.
* Ride alone, (other than members of your own household), or with at most one other person.
* Stop well away from other people. Take food and drink etc with you.
* Be COVID-safe at fuel stops.
* Do not gather in crowds.
* Know what COVID safety kit you are going to take with you and use it sensibly.
* Plan your route so you can always return home safely the same day.
* Know how you are going to deal safely with any emergencies.
* Do not ride at all if you or members of your household have symptoms and need to self-isolate.
* Think carefully about the risks if you are over 70 or have a pre-existing condition.
* Don't damage the image of motorcycling in the lockdown by riding irresponsibly.
* Be aware that at present the guidelines for leaving the house for other than essential reasons may be different in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.
Very valid point Phil, I'd be leaving it a few weeks at least to see how things pan out.

Steve
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

There was an article in the Winter 2019 edition of the TRF Trail Magazine. I am no longer a Member so I can not confirm the exact content but I am sure that somebody else on here might be able to guide you.

TTFN

Hugh.
Nico-D

Post by Nico-D »

Bit more info here if you haven't already seen it

https://www.facebook.com/TheGreatWesternTrail/
phil_h

Post by phil_h »

bowber wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 10:49 am
Very valid point Phil, I'd be leaving it a few weeks at least to see how things pan out.

Steve
I'm really keen to do the TET near me. Using the gs is an intimidating thought though as I am a complete virgin for that kind of solo outing, but I've just bought an fe350 so I can give it a go and not feel that I'll get stuck under a quarter ton lump somewhere :?

And as another thought, living in the welsh hills, we have all started looking suspiciously at anyone we dont recognise. I even accosted my neighbours while running up on the moors yesterday cos I didnt expect them to be walking - anywhere !
We've had so many ar50le twats on illegal crossers in the welsh hills that any bikes around _here_ get looked at very hard... on which note it occurs to me that the bigger the bike the better, as you're then not a 'yob on a stolen dirt bike' :roll:
Last edited by phil_h on Sun May 17, 2020 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
2021 890 Adventure R
1982 R80 G/S with Siebenrock
2020 500 Excf Rally Bike
2020 500 Excf Trail Bike
1957 Velocette 500 Scrambler
Snaf MKII

Post by Snaf MKII »

I've not ridden it but know the Somerset/Dorset/Devon/Cornwall area very well and will have ridden most if not all the lanes included.

Here's a link to some of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1qAl-6mIxg&t=30s

All the route that I've looked at I'd happily do on my F650GSPD but would rather take the XR or EXC.
This is probably as hard as it gets but 95% would be a lot easier and you can always bypass the harder stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7QJxitHFB0

One thing you will find is that the lanes are overgrown at this time of the year, you might find yourself fighting through brambles. Probably even more so now the lanes haven't been used for two months.

Obviously this is not doable until your allowed to stay away over night. I'm in South Devon if you want company/guide for the day.

Return to “TRAVEL”