Garmin Rugged powered mount with 12v cigar plug

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
dibbs

Re: Garmin Rugged powered mount with 12v cigar plug

Post by dibbs »

AustinW wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:45 pm Ignore most of the above. It’s wrong.

The rugged mount DOES NOT consume any power. It simply passes through 12v into your unit. Your unit is designed to accept this voltage through the pins that connect to the Rugged Mount.

I have taken my rugged mount apart several times. The gold connectors you see on the inside face are the top end of the connectors the power wires connect to. There’s no electronics in there. Try putting a multi meter between pins 4&5 and you will see 12v.

If you put 5v into the rugged mount your device will not power from it. It is designed to receive between 10 and 50volts via the pins used to connect to the mount. I said all this a month or more ago.
Thanks Austin, this is just the answer I was looking for!!!! I guess if one waits long enough on a forum post one would find the answer he wants!!! (rightly or wrongly :lol: :lol: :lol: )
prg4967

Post by prg4967 »

dibbs wrote:
prg4967 wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:58 pm
Nico-D wrote:Input can be between 10 -50 volts so obviously step down within mount. been running one for 4 years with power feed spliced into side light wiring so only live with ignition on.

This is a scan from instructions booklet

Garmin rugged mount001.jpg
I cut mine at the point marked in red so all the additional connections and the big plastic joiner went in the bin...it makes for a tidier instal...so the step down must be inside the mount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hahahahahaha that's the sort of thing I would have normally done!!!! but thought I should keep the fuse in place and coil all the other wires up just in case I needed them this time lol....
I did wire it via a pdm60 so it is fused...just way to many unnecessary wires !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dibbs

Post by dibbs »

hahahahaha lucky you said that, I was just on my way out to the garage to cut the waste wires off!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “TECHNICAL”