Post Coronovirus, Will we be Welcome as Travellers?

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
bikenav

Post Coronovirus, Will we be Welcome as Travellers?

Post by bikenav »

What do people think, eventually the travel restrictions will be lifted Local, National, Euro, Worldwide. I am guessing The Costa Del Sol, and traditional tourist centres will more than likely be embracing visitors back very quickly, pure economics. For many of us we may prefer to travel in less tourist type places through smaller communities where our few pennies spent are less relevant to local life, how welcome will we be? how much of a potential threat might we be seen as? how will we feel ourselves when people from elsewhere travel to our area? Will it ever be the same again? Donald Trump need not answer thank you.
Peirre

Re: Post Coronovirus, Will we be Welcome as Travellers?

Post by Peirre »

In the smaller community’s the economic decimation will be evident for several years, in Portugal for example I doubt the ordinary people will have money to spend on non essential items for a long time and will barely be able to keep a roof over their head. Tourism is probably the last thing on the minds of the people in the places where we visit.
You could speculate that post crisis the world will suffer from a financial crisis that makes the Great Depression look like a walk in the park, or that the euro zone will collapse, no one really knows what will happen
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Quite a few of us might have no money to travel and might have to sell our bikes to keep our house and put food on the table
A lot of dire fallout from this virus
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

bikenav wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:16 am What do people think, eventually the travel restrictions will be lifted Local, National, Euro, Worldwide. I am guessing The Costa Del Sol, and traditional tourist centres will more than likely be embracing visitors back very quickly, pure economics. For many of us we may prefer to travel in less tourist type places through smaller communities where our few pennies spent are less relevant to local life, how welcome will we be? how much of a potential threat might we be seen as? how will we feel ourselves when people from elsewhere travel to our area? Will it ever be the same again? Donald Trump need not answer thank you.
I think we could look at our own suspicions of 'outsiders' throughout our own lives, be they immigrants brought here by successive Governments or illegal immigrants/refugees (I am questioning my own historical thoughts not judging others).
The key for future 'leisure travel' will be online community and knowing people in advance of travelling, especially in non tourist areas.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
ggp59

Post by ggp59 »

That's a good question, and like most asked about coronavirus all a bit 'wait and see'

But if the reaction I seem to get when I pedal around some rural back roads a few miles from my house is anything to go by - slightly unwelcome to openly frowned on for being there, it dosen't bode well!
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

Slight Edit to the OP - The thinking was more really post Coronvirus "Lockdown" as there is going to be, possibly for the foreseeable future, a period when the lockdown has been lifted, but there will be a risk, greater or smaller of still spreading the virus. This could be a very big game changer.
phil_h

Post by phil_h »

I think it will be like going back in time. Those of us who live in 'remote' places will look very suspiciously on anyone we dont recognise... like we are right now. Too many people have been seen to be plain ignorant, and they _are_ and _will_be_ carrying the virus around.
The latest about face masks is likely to become the norm we look for. Any kind of face mask will flag that the person/people are at least _trying_.
However, there _will_ be a lot of 'travellers' as we will _all_ be stir crazy.
2021 890 Adventure R
1982 R80 G/S with Siebenrock
2020 500 Excf Rally Bike
2020 500 Excf Trail Bike
1957 Velocette 500 Scrambler
spangle

Post by spangle »

johnnyboxer wrote:Quite a few of us might have no money to travel and might have to sell our bikes to keep our house and put food on the table
You’d sell your bike before your house..?!?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Flintlock

Post by Flintlock »

If outside of Ireland I would probably contact the local tourist office in the area where I was thinking of going and see what the local view is when the time comes.

At the end of the day, if need be I would be more than happy to stay local, as long as I get the bike out
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

spangle wrote:
johnnyboxer wrote:Quite a few of us might have no money to travel and might have to sell our bikes to keep our house and put food on the table
You’d sell your bike before your house..?!?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Of course

A home is a roof over your head

A bike is a mere frippery
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like

Return to “TRAVEL”