Ferry bookings .... Refunds ??

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Tramp

Re: Ferry bookings .... Refunds ??

Post by Tramp »

How come you've paid a 606 deposit its normally just 20 % or is that the second option not flexi one?..... If its any help I've been waiting for a eurotunnel reply to a group email with over £50k in bookings... 5 days now... Maybe a threat of a class f legal action may help ky cause but hey the French and UK government's are heavily involved with eurotunnel...
ggp59

Post by ggp59 »

Tramp wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:19 pm How come you've paid a 606 deposit its normally just 20 % or is that the second option not flexi one?..... If its any help I've been waiting for a eurotunnel reply to a group email with over £50k in bookings... 5 days now... Maybe a threat of a class f legal action may help ky cause but hey the French and UK government's are heavily involved with eurotunnel...

Can't even remember now to be honest, but 3 of us x 400 quid return each = £1200 50% on booking (their idea not mine) = 600 quid with the balance of the other half first week of April. Another 600 quid
Have now accepted the loss, as well aware plenty of folk hit far harder, it just pisses me off they refuse to communicate at all!
Just a big red 'press here and we'll keep yer money' button :D

Just had another scary moment when trying to cancel all the hotels that I'd booked through booking.com.
Their site has suddenly hidden the cancel option that used to be so visible - it is there, just a lot harder to find now!
byewayrider

Post by byewayrider »

Yep all the snakes in the grass come out to play I'm afraid.... They have us by the short and curry's.... Some are protecting their own lively hoods can't blame them really, human nature et Al.

But I do think folks will book differently for a few years till the rat race mentality sets back in....
Solo ktm690 euro trail rider
ggp59

Post by ggp59 »

Since cancelling the hotels earlier, quite a few have since emailed messages of support and sympathy to us lot here.

And thats from people who's country is up to it's neck in this problem, and with thier livelihoods under threat!
Billy Bananahead

Post by Billy Bananahead »

I've got a flexi ticket booked in mid June, i've already paid the 25% deposit and the balance is due on 13 April 20. I'll lose the deposit if i cancel now.
The balance is £396 and i think i'm going to let it be taken and my reason is i'm going to have 2 choices after that date, one is to have a partial refund and two is the ferry journey goes ahead.
Obviously if France is still under lockdown i'm not going to take my holiday because i can't see the point of staying in someones gite without going out. I suppose that's a third choice :lol:
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

EU law states that you have to be offered a full refund if a ferry crossing is cancelled.

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/t ... #cancelled
Current bike is a Yamaha T7
ggp59

Post by ggp59 »

AlanHolt wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:14 pm EU law states that you have to be offered a full refund if a ferry crossing is cancelled.

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/t ... #cancelled
Due to Brittany Ferrys point blank refusal to communicate in any way, we cancelled before they did, so got no hope there!
We had so little confidence in them playing fair because of because of this, chose to lose half the money rather than very possibly all of it.
Have written it off now though, moved on, and will avoid using them ever again if at all possible 👍

It didn't help that within an hour of robbing us of 600 quid they sent an email (after ignoring 10 from me) offering cheap crossings to France right now, which could only mean "give some more money, but you ain't going anywhere anytime soon" :D
The f**kers!!!
boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

Billy Bananahead wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:48 pm I've got a flexi ticket booked in mid June, i've already paid the 25% deposit and the balance is due on 13 April 20. I'll lose the deposit if i cancel now.
The balance is £396 and i think i'm going to let it be taken and my reason is i'm going to have 2 choices after that date, one is to have a partial refund and two is the ferry journey goes ahead.
Obviously if France is still under lockdown i'm not going to take my holiday because i can't see the point of staying in someones gite without going out. I suppose that's a third choice :lol:
I'm in the same position as you, booked on flexi ticket, balance due on April 7th. Not sure what I'm going to do at this point.
one-legged adventurer
PHILinFRANCE

Post by PHILinFRANCE »

Its a bitch i booked us Le Havre /Portsmouth €416 stand to loose 50% but gone for it anyway , Airbxb have give us a full refund .....fuck the ferries ...................

FRANCE IS NOW ON LOCKDOWN UNTILL THE 15th APRIL
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Personally, I would advise travellers to get their deposit and monies back, by the best means possible, (which could involve waiting for the ferries etc to cancel, rather than cancel yourself, though I do not know the best way).

At the start, we were told that travel could be on hold for 1 or 2 years.

Look at the upward curve of infections.
advisory ..light lockdown .. tight lockdown .. extreme lockdown ..
then a period of waiting for returns .. then even tighter lockdowns????

This won't be achieved by June or July this year.

China ia already doing a `fortress China` to secure its borders and internals.
Other countries will do the same.

The faint hope is that the summer, sunshine, nature, natural run of events etc etc etc will prevail sooner than human intervention .. but still, this will not be before this summer

Return to “TRAVEL”