Ferry bookings .... Refunds ??

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
mechanic

Re: Ferry bookings .... Refunds ??

Post by mechanic »

I’ve been told by the insurers at our shop that we cannot claim on our business interruption insurance, as the virus wasn’t in existence when we took out the policy! We will have to see what the bigger players say about that?
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

From my experience with BF they seem very expensive, but once you have shelled out the bucks and got your booking, they are pretty helpfull when you ask them to be re-arranging crossings times etc, I should imagine they will do their best in this situation . It would be a loss to many of us if they were not there again.
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

mechanic wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:10 pm I’ve been told by the insurers at our shop that we cannot claim on our business interruption insurance, as the virus wasn’t in existence when we took out the policy! We will have to see what the bigger players say about that?
We are in the same situation. Our business interruption specifies the reasons that you can claim and includes a list of viruses, including things like SARS, but not Covid 19 because that didn’t exist when we took the policy out.
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
Agent Orange

Post by Agent Orange »

I too have paid out for BF crossing in july, but in my T5 with the family £650 economy payment so no refund :shock:
I reckon/hope I will get a voucher for next year. I am not loaded but have excepted the idea I will loose my money, so a voucher will be a bonus. As mentioned insurance companies are being elusive and wriggling. I paid for insurance, through another company when I booked the ferry, I also may loose my campsite deposit of £250.
Life is shit sometimes, there are a lot of people a lot worse of than me, is my only thought in these dire times.
OP Good luck you may need it.
Nows wheres my beer :o
Sanqhar

Post by Sanqhar »

mechanic wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:10 pm I’ve been told by the insurers at our shop that we cannot claim on our business interruption insurance, as the virus wasn’t in existence when we took out the policy! We will have to see what the bigger players say about that?
Of course if the virus had existed it wouldn't be covered because it was a pre-existing condition.

tom
... and today was a good day in the life of...
Oop North John

Post by Oop North John »

Sanqhar wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:41 pm
Of course if the virus had existed it wouldn't be covered because it was a pre-existing condition.
I was e-mailed by my travel insurance company that basically if you bought their insurance after March 18th then Coronavirus was a pre-existing condition, and therefore you'd not be covered, if it was a cause of a claim, seems fair to me
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Oop North John wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:44 am
I was e-mailed by my travel insurance company that basically if you bought their insurance after March 18th then Coronavirus was a pre-existing condition, and therefore you'd not be covered, if it was a cause of a claim, seems fair to me
So one won't pay out because Corona didn't exist and the other won't pay out because it did exist.
Either way it's the gamemaker (insurance companies) who make the rules, this is true about any gambling game be it horses/football/roullette or stock market/insurance/investments.
The result is the average punter loses out.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Oop North John

Post by Oop North John »

Tonibe63 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:56 am
Oop North John wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:44 am
So one won't pay out because Corona didn't exist and the other won't pay out because it did exist.
Either way it's the gamemaker (insurance companies) who make the rules, this is true about any gambling game be it horses/football/roulette or stock market/insurance/investments.
The result is the average punter loses out.
Mine wouldn't pay out if you booked your travel on the 19th, and it was cancelled due to the virus, seems logical to me?
Peirre

Post by Peirre »

I was due to travel Portsmouth- Bilbao on July 5th, originally on the bike, then changed booking for the car (£fee), I’ve not cancelled yet as I’m waiting for the decision of the authorities mid May as to whether the faro bike show will go ahead. I’ve spent around £400 on BF for a 1 way trip. Ultimately I think the trip will get cancelled wether by myself or BF, but I’m not going to rush into doing it
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

We were booked on the Bilbao ferry to Ireland on the 16th April. As its BF who have cancelled the sailing, we should get a refund, but we will have to see how BF decide to proceed. Sailing at a later date isn't an option for us.
Current bike is a Yamaha T7

Return to “TRAVEL”