Lockdown

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Tonibe63

Re: Lockdown

Post by Tonibe63 »

Well said Alan, it is not a full lockdown.
Some newscasters are saying you can only travel to work if it is an 'essential service' but that simply is not what Boris said.
Michael Gove also confirmed this morning that the construction industry can still travel to work.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

China imposed a lockdown, contained the virus and got it under control, but it took 3 months of people doing what they were told. When the lockdown was lifted, people traveling back to China reintroduced the virus and rates are increasing again. The quicker the world accepts what we have to do, the quicker life can return to how it was. But because of what happened in China, I can see foreign travel restrictions lasting longer than the lockdown.
Current bike is a Yamaha T7
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

Wuhan is being “unlocked” and the people will start to move around, going to different cities.
It will be very interesting to see what the virus does over there next.

As for our country. Idiots! The stupidity of people is almost overwhelming. They need to listen to the government advice, which is very clear in my mind, and stop second guessing. Mind you, as has been said elsewhere on ABR, common sense seems to be the least common of the senses!!

Stay safe, be sensible and good luck everybody.
Chalky723

Post by Chalky723 »

I'm wondering if this is the "Phoney Lockdown" period.

There'll be a bit of confusion & people will continue to take the piss. But the powers that be are quietly putting the infrastructure in place behind the scenes.

In a week or 2, it'll get a bit more "official" & won't be so easy to flout - that's assuming we can muster the same number of police & military that our EU pals keep lying around "just in case"....

Or - it'll just carry on like this & will all go away in a month or 2.....
chunky butt

Post by chunky butt »

Welcome to the lockdown club UK. We are into the second week, and I can tell it's complete SHITE. Stay safe everyone. Oh btw, my son who's also a builder has gone back to work today !!! For how long ?
Snaf MKII

Post by Snaf MKII »

I don't see the ambiguity that others are seeing.
Here's the gov statement.
https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/ ... march-2020

Taken from that transcript
That is why people will only be allowed to leave their home for the following very limited purposes:

shopping for basic necessities, as infrequently as possible
one form of exercise a day - for example a run, walk, or cycle - alone or with members of your household;
any medical need, to provide care or to help a vulnerable person; and
travelling to and from work, but only where this is absolutely necessary and cannot be done from home.
That’s all - these are the only reasons you should leave your home.

Regarding travelling to and from work it says "absolutely necessary", to put that in context necessary means essential. Building or repairing a hospital would be regarded as "absolutely necessary" having a new patio laid wouldn't. I'm sure you can all come up with own analogies regarding other industries.
Crossrutted

Post by Crossrutted »

Snaf MKII wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:40 pm

Regarding travelling to and from work it says "absolutely necessary", to put that in context necessary means essential. Building or repairing a hospital would be regarded as "absolutely necessary" having a new patio laid wouldn't. I'm sure you can all come up with own analogies regarding other industries.
Mmmmn - is the above your interpretation or official?

Another interpretation is that if you can work from home do so, if it is necessary to go to your place of work then you can.

Individual companies are able to choose whether to continue operating or not (at the moment).

Many/most people need to work as long as possible to earn money to live on.

Your definition that "necessary means essential" is not confirmed by official UK Government advice documents.
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

For once in my life I'm being a good boy, as I'm lucky enough to live on the edge of the new forest I've ample space to go about my daily dog walks and cycle rides without seeing anybody... The sun is out and life is good.

3 weeks is not a tall ask after 50 plus years... Work has stopped so glad I've savings... Chin up old bean... Hopefully come autumn life will be normal again...

I've plenty to do helping others less well off and it gives me a huge smile and happy feeling.
Snaf MKII

Post by Snaf MKII »

Crossrutted wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:45 pm

Mmmmn - is the above your interpretation or official?
Your definition that "necessary means essential" is not confirmed by official UK Government advice documents.
The link is the Gov website and it is the transcript of last nights speech, I've not added anything to it or interpreted anything.
The "above" you mention is my interpretation but it looks black and white to me, however it's not (I think) been backed up yet by industry support.
That's not my definition of necessary it's what I believe necessary means in this context any other meaning it has would be pretty much carry on as normal and wouldn't need saying.
FallingDown

Post by FallingDown »

That's not my definition of necessary it's what I believe necessary means in this context any other meaning it has would be pretty much carry on as normal and wouldn't need saying.
I can see this forum is going to be fun 😁
tenor (1).gif
tenor (1).gif (434.44 KiB) Viewed 2397 times

Return to “THE PUB”