Yamaha Tracer 700 - advice

The Things We Ride
macvisual

Yamaha Tracer 700 - advice

Post by macvisual »

Anyone here own/run a Yamaha Tracer 700?

Would love to hear owners thoughts/experiences/ownership about them please, appreciated. I'd like to test-ride one at some stage in the summer....all being well, I think they'd be an excellent middleweight all rounder with 70bhp which is well plenty nowadays...
I've no interest in the new 2020 model just to be clear, it's the first/early model etc...

I've been riding a Suzuki V-Strom 1000 for 12yrs now and as much as I like it, I quite fancy something a little less bulky/combersome at some point.

I've heard that the 700cc parallel twin cylinder engine is meant to be a peach...! I know there's a new 2020 model about to be in dealerships from May onwards, but too pricey, it's the current model I'd be interested in. Cheers

mac

p.s.
Any photos would be great also.
Last edited by macvisual on Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:23 am, edited 3 times in total.
"Progress is not possible without deviation".

Frank Zappa
Nigel

Re: Yamaha Tracer 700 - advice

Post by Nigel »

Guy at work has just bought one and is currently running it in, not the latest model, he has down sized from pan euro and seems more than happy with it.
Sounds lovely but obviously not as good as my Tracer 900 gt :lol:
dave h

Post by dave h »

just a mt07 and 5 years back but capable,

dave.
ggp59

Post by ggp59 »

I've got one, and if you lived in central Wales instead of central Scotland you'd be welcome to a spin on mine.
Have had it for almost three years now and agree with all the reviews that it's a cracking bike with a great engine (but slightly naff suspension) etc. yet can't seem to quite gel with it for some reason?

The SV 1000 and MT09 I had before were both flawed, yet oddly liked them both more??
It's fast enough, it cost bugger all to buy with heated grips, heated seat, luggage etc. yet just dosen't quite get the heart racing like it should on paper 🤔

My advice would be to test ride one all day rather than a quick squirt like I did
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

I bought one in April 2017 and did 10,000 miles in it in about 7 months including a couple of trips to the Pyrenees and a ride around Scotland.

My opinion, an absolute cracker of a bike. The motor is a peach. The suspension is good enough for some edge of the tyre mountain road fun.
The fairing and screen do a good job. I’m 6’2” and not skinny but it works for me. Ergonomics seem to suit a wide range of rider sizes. I was happy on it from full tank to reserve light coming in and a bit. About 180 miles from memory.
I had Givi V45 panniers on it and they fitted in well.
Service costs are sensible.
The tyres, Michelin I think, still had some life left after the 10,000 miles.
It never needed the oil topping up between services.

I sold mine as I was going off travelling for up to 2 years (actually 17 months) and didn’t need vehicles sitting around.

Would I buy another one. Absolutely 100% I would.....if I hadn’t ordered a Tenere 700 that is.

I felt that it was one of those bikes that seems better the more I rode it. A bike that is better than its spec sheet suggests. A bike that is better than the sum of its parts.

Have a ride on one they’re great. I bought without a test ride and didn’t regret it for one moment. Hopefully the T7 I haven’t ridden before purchase will be just as enjoyable.

Good luck whatever you end up with.
RandG

Post by RandG »

If I were to buy a road style bike (not an adventure style) that would be the bike I would buy. I have the new Tenere that has the same engine, though tuned/geared differently and it's brilliant.
onslowe

Post by onslowe »

I have the XSR700, same engine, and thoroughly recommend it. Suspension is a bit budget but other than that it is a superb package, the engine is a peach and been around a while without any major issues. The only decent alternative for similar money would be the Kawasaki Versys, my previous bike and also a great all round package, try to get a test ride on both.

Return to “BIKES”