COVID-19......Your Situation

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Dansin

Re: COVID-19......Your Situation

Post by Dansin »

We’re all getting have a bite of a huge sh!t sandwich but I’m staying positive.

On the home front my children are now at home for the foreseeable (I’m imagining September). Home learning timetables being sorted this weekend. Asthmatic wife has finally been given the go ahead to work from home but as a recruitment manager for a business that is no longer recruiting, who knows how long that will be sustained before redundancy.

On the work front I own and run a building company. One of our current clients are isolating having just returned from Northern Italy and Austria. A lot of trades calling me as sites are being closed down. At the merchants on Wednesday at 0730 and it mirrored the supermarket Armageddon. One chap bought 38k of materials. The latest government announcements will help in the short/medium term but if there are no materials....

Life will go on. We live in the countryside with very few neighbours but all friends, so everyone is helping out where they can.

Ran down into the village this afternoon to pick up prescriptions for 2 lots of neighbours and this van was parked up. At least us builders have retained a sense of humour!
2AC87EAD-5C63-4AF1-8E22-ACA5D0B8AA29.jpeg
2AC87EAD-5C63-4AF1-8E22-ACA5D0B8AA29.jpeg (202.77 KiB) Viewed 2475 times
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

Our problem was being on holiday for three weeks until Wednesday so we had no chance to prepare other than trying to do a Tesco delivery order while we were away but iffy wifi in South Africa and Zimbabwe wouldn’t have made an order very easy.

We were ok at Tesco on Thursday morning, the only things we couldn’t get were tinned tomatoes and baked beans. Meat was a bit thin on the ground but we always have a freezer full of home cooked food. We live in a corner of a small village so have to drive 7 miles or so to get supplies as our tiny village shop couldn’t cope with everyone doing their whole shop there.

We are living on our, now depleted, savings but I get my state pension in August. We are lucky enough to have saved well while working and my heart goes out to the people who are just being dumped. Hope they help the 5m self employed equally well as there are no worthwhile benefit options available. I worked for myself for over 30 years before retiring and luckily never had a day without work but some must be panicking like mad.

Hopefully secondary stuff like diy and gardening materials etc will still be available so we don’t all go stir crazy. You can plan if there is a set time but open ended makes it difficult. I had got some stuff in already but not everything I needed.

Unless my bike dealer stays open, I can only do a 125 mile road ride until my first service is due. :( Not exactly life and death, I agree.

My wife and I are happy in our own little world and our niece has set up a family WhatsApp group for pointless chat.

Hope everyone stays safe and well and anyone who has kids can stand the torment. ;)
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
chunky butt

Post by chunky butt »

PHILinFRANCE wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:27 pm Thanks for you info on this Dave , well done ..............................my heads in a shed at the mo just found out Jax has throat cancer so not thinking to clever :(
Jeez, only just seen this and it's knocked me on my arse. All our love to jax and yourself buddy, and the best of luck. Speak to you later.
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Phil in France, we don't know each other.................but hoping and praying for you both
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Nico-D

Post by Nico-D »

Phil , that's horrible news buddy , so sorry to hear it. The one consolation is you live in acountry with probably the best healthcare in the world, they really work wonders here.

Best wishes to you both.

Nick.
Billy Bananahead

Post by Billy Bananahead »

Phil, as JB said, we don't know each other but sincerely hope your missus gets well and best wishes to you both and your family.

As for me, my missus is retired but i work on the bins and so maybe i'm lucky that i've still got a job to go to. I drive a 7.5 tonne bin lorry, bit like a Tonka toy really, so can mainly stay in the cab but it seems a bit frightening for my loader who does most of the handling.
Being local government workers we might hear more on Monday regarding the present situation.
RandG

Post by RandG »

Earnings dropped to next to zero. Live alone and it's my only source of income, not even sure what to do from here on on the bright side, I still have my health....for now. 8-)
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

It ain't the money but the heart that matters...
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

School caretaker live on site, paid as normal and school will be open till Wednesday for key workers kids then we will re-access the situation.
Potentially open through Easter (Not going anywhere!)
Went into nearest town this morning (7 miles, rural Narfolk!) Basics in Tesco and they were re-stocking but hardly any fruit n veg but there is a good market stall in town so stocked up for Mum and then a 40 mile ride to deliver along with flowers for tomorrow 😁
She is 87 lives on her own but has good neighbour's I didn't go in and said don't let anyone in! She takes dog out for a walk early doors and then stays in, not bothered about me, single and live alone but worried sick about her😑 all I can do is ring her regularly and make sure she is ok.
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

RandG wrote:Earnings dropped to next to zero. Live alone and it's my only source of income, not even sure what to do from here on on the bright side, I still have my health....for now. 8-)
Not good then
Fall back on your savings like me then
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like

Return to “THE PUB”