and as we had a rare bit of sunshine took it out for a run,

just ont road but,

what a bike,

if you in the market and aint had a propper go on one of these you need to,

dave.
dibbs

Re: ktm 790 adventure r perfection or myth

Post by dibbs »

Dave, I like these and have ridden the standard one, my dealer is getting an R for demo this month , but looking at other bikes (ie T7 and PR7) is the KTM worth all the extra money like 3-4k!!!! do you really like it that much? is it the 'game changer' that is touted around? and did you look at other bikes before buying? would welcome your thoughts...
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

I bought a 690 Enduro and then had the oppertunity to try a 790 S.
My feeling after riding the 790 is I'm glad I got the 690. :)
Crossrutted

Post by Crossrutted »

Dibbs, I chose a PR7 over the 790 because the 790 ergos did not work for me, the PR7's did.
The lack of some form of screen on the 790 was also a factor.

Obviously the PR7 is a 600cc single so it's road performance is not comparable to that of the 790.

Off road, the PR7 has plenty, unless your name is Price, Sunderland or Knight!
dave h

Post by dave h »

Hi dibbs,
where do i start,
its hard not to offend folks who have bought different bikes,
i guess we bike bikes for our own different needs,
im a big ktm fan my last 6 bikes have been ktm,
i like to tour europe road , trail or both,[when i say tour i mean race about with my mates like big kids]
i live in sheffield so 240 miles to tunnel or 275 miles to plymouth before i start,
this kinda ruled out singles for me as my main do it all bike
the only choice really for me were ktm790 bmw 850 yamaha t7 africa twin,
the honda was too heavy
to cut it down the ktm was way higher for me than the others,[and remember i already love em]
i couldnt buy another bike knowing ktm had built this bike,

cost,
i got mine second hand for 11k the t7 is over 9k now if you spec the bmw up to ktm spec its more than the ktm, im happy with that [you will have to decide that one for yourself]

value,
again the ktm costs more but you get more,
the traction control is very good, off road mode allows rear lock up abs front and wheelies :D
while also allowing you to decide how sideways you want to go,
just something to break i hear from the pessimistic or i like to control it myself, really 95hp offroad?

back to my road ride yesterday,
and why i ride ktm the chassi is wonderfull ,perfect composure while feeling so light and agile [for a bike of this type]
you can ride like a lunatic but in full control [ this is why you need to test ride one properly not at normal pace]
one with a quickshifter if possible its hillarious,

if you listen to the internet gloom merchants the fuel tanks will get knocked off,engine casings will break, clutch will explode,etc,etc,
untill this happens i shall continue to ride what i feel is the best bike made today [for me]

dave.
MotoCP

Post by MotoCP »

I’m yet to own a KTM but I’ve ridden a mates 990 Adventure that I kept in my garage for about a year.

I was always impressed with how well it carried it’s weight and how easy it was to move around the garage compared to my old AT which is very top heavy.

670A4730-952E-4753-B8C0-787193F219BA.jpeg
670A4730-952E-4753-B8C0-787193F219BA.jpeg (158.83 KiB) Viewed 4098 times
The 990 literally felt about 40% lighter (probably like the T700 would feel in comparison).

Reading the various 790r reviews, it seems KTM have produced an even lighter feeling bike than the 950/990 that’s even better on both road and trail.

I’m planning a demo ride on a T700 and 790r (if I can find a dealer in Yorkshire that has an R model demo).

I’ve seen brand new 790r’s on eBay for £10,999 zero miles (but 2019 registered)

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3497942731

It all depends on how the demo bikes ride/feel but on viewing them at the NEC, the KTM looked and felt like a more premium product.

If a T700 is now pushing say 9k, an extra £2k or so looks good value for the KTM’s superior fit & finish, power, suspension, tank range, tubeless rims, electronics, TFT display better lights.... etc.

I say only 2k more! My AT only cost £1500 and it’s been a faithful servant for the last 14 years!
dibbs

Post by dibbs »

dave h wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:31 pm Hi dibbs,
where do i start,
its hard not to offend folks who have bought different bikes,
i guess we bike bikes for our own different needs,
im a big ktm fan my last 6 bikes have been ktm,
i like to tour europe road , trail or both,[when i say tour i mean race about with my mates like big kids]
i live in sheffield so 240 miles to tunnel or 275 miles to plymouth before i start,
this kinda ruled out singles for me as my main do it all bike
the only choice really for me were ktm790 bmw 850 yamaha t7 africa twin,
the honda was too heavy
to cut it down the ktm was way higher for me than the others,[and remember i already love em]
i couldnt buy another bike knowing ktm had built this bike,

cost,
i got mine second hand for 11k the t7 is over 9k now if you spec the bmw up to ktm spec its more than the ktm, im happy with that [you will have to decide that one for yourself]

value,
again the ktm costs more but you get more,
the traction control is very good, off road mode allows rear lock up abs front and wheelies :D
while also allowing you to decide how sideways you want to go,
just something to break i hear from the pessimistic or i like to control it myself, really 95hp offroad?

back to my road ride yesterday,
and why i ride ktm the chassi is wonderfull ,perfect composure while feeling so light and agile [for a bike of this type]
you can ride like a lunatic but in full control [ this is why you need to test ride one properly not at normal pace]
one with a quickshifter if possible its hillarious,

if you listen to the internet gloom merchants the fuel tanks will get knocked off,engine casings will break, clutch will explode,etc,etc,
untill this happens i shall continue to ride what i feel is the best bike made today [for me]

dave.

Thanks for the insight Dave. I too have always been a KTM/Husky owner of dirtbikes and have the Africa Twin at the moment, IF I sell both bikes and drop to one it will probably be my last (he says knowing it probably isnt lol...) so want to make the right choice, so may report back here after my test ride.
dibbs

Post by dibbs »

Crossrutted wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:16 pm Dibbs, I chose a PR7 over the 790 because the 790 ergos did not work for me, the PR7's did.
The lack of some form of screen on the 790 was also a factor.

Obviously the PR7 is a 600cc single so it's road performance is not comparable to that of the 790.

Off road, the PR7 has plenty, unless your name is Price, Sunderland or Knight!

Thanks
Im going to look at one this weekend! off road im a wobbler, but how does it hold its speed on the road ie motorway and A road speeds as i will need to do some 75 mph type riding for say 200-300 miles at a time and dont want to be begging to get off it!!
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

contact Molly at Sweetlamb complex and go and try one before you buy, ride it off road and see what Molly does with them.

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
Coppice

Post by Coppice »

MotoCP wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:40 pm I’m yet to own a KTM but I’ve ridden a mates 990 Adventure that I kept in my garage for about a year.

I was always impressed with how well it carried it’s weight and how easy it was to move around the garage compared to my old AT which is very top heavy.
My 600 transalp feels un-managable since i put knobblier tyres on it. The bike leans over more so it needs a good heave just to get it off the side stand. Ideally I need to extend it, however on the flip side it's easier to get on the centre stand now.

Return to “BIKES”