Lowering Africa Twin weight

The essential art of farkling.
Ziggy's Pop

Lowering Africa Twin weight

Post by Ziggy's Pop »

After a trip around Europe I found my AT very top heavy, I use Honda panniers, top box and a medium tank bag, all pretty full. Following a pre trip illness I have lost a lot of upper body strength and need to rethink packing.

I'm thinking of getting a pair of front crash bar bags ( Lomo or similar) and putting some heavier stuff in to them, obviously within the recommended limits, this would enable me to have an almost empty top box. Hopefully this would help.

Has anyone tried this or found a better solution ?

Do the bags create any problems at speed ie on Autobahns ?

I'm not doing any off road or track riding and really don't want to change my AT - I love it !
Spike941

Re: Lowering Africa Twin weight

Post by Spike941 »

Like the top heavy Explorers, as mentioned on previous posts about my inability to pack light, I’ve used engine bar panniers on several trips now, and haven’t noticed any change re handling or fuel consumption.
macvisual

Post by macvisual »

I'd totally ditch the tank bag idea and use front crash bars to load stuff onto, that'll probably help a little I'd say.

mac
"Progress is not possible without deviation".

Frank Zappa
Ziggy's Pop

Post by Ziggy's Pop »

Thanks guys, looks like the bags may be worth buying.
mechanic

Post by mechanic »

I endorse the engine bar bags on my 1190 adv. don’t notice the weight as you would high up, the front end feels more planted, also gives your legs a bit of weather protection. I still tour with the top box on, but only put lightweight items in it.
scotsy

Post by scotsy »

Hi,

I am on my 2nd AT but when I bought the 2018 I was determined not to resort to lowering it like I ended up doing with my previous 2016 bike.

Well after 23,000 miles in last 18 mths I recently resorted to fitting a LUST lowering collar for the rear spring (and slipped the forks through to match)

At 65 and getting shorter and weaker as each year passes I had to do something when I got back from a 4,500 miles trip including Bulgaria in September.
I had toppled over several times in the past usually at a standstill or whilst paddling around on my tiptoes and having a foot slip but this year I managed to condense my topples into about 5 times in 2 weeks.
My pride was hurting as I couldn't even lift the bike upright again by myself, always having to seek help from my riding mates for the trip especially Marcus Rothwell and Gary Adams.
I would probably still be there but for their help, thanks lads.

My fully loaded bike went straight from the return Ferry at Hull to my local weighbridge. The £14.95 charge was worth it to get the evidence to explain my problem...

My CRF1000 AT weighed in at 300kgs without me on it :shock: :shock: :shock:

Within 24 hours i had taken off luggage racks and boxes (Givi trecker x 3) but left on my trusty Outback Mototek protection and barkbusters (just in case) :lol:

When I next go touring it will be with a drybag strapped to the seat and my smallish plastic toolbox bolted to the rear rack. Anything else will be fixed to the crashbars to keep the weight lower down. Oh and yes....i will learn how to pack lighter :roll:

I love these Honda AT's but my physical limitations (dodgy ticker and spine) are putting the use of taller/heavy bikes by me in doubt.

Getting older but still love riding bikes

scotsy
Ziggy's Pop

Post by Ziggy's Pop »

Scotsy - at 65 you're only a youngster ! I am 10 years older and still love long days in the saddle.

Fortunately being tall the AT height isn't a problem, last year I did 3,500 mile solo trip to Croatia, Bosnia and back via Poland. Didn't drop the bike once ( more luck than skill ) but had a few close calls hence needing to lower and reduce the weight.

Thanks to everyone for their help and advice.
dave h

Post by dave h »

new one is lighter,lower seat,and more power :D

dave.

Return to “ACCESSORIES”