Balls

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Asgard

Balls

Post by Asgard »

I have aquired a vehicle with no fuel gauge but transparent-ish tanks placed just above eye level, you supposedly can just look and see the contents....can you feck?, I thought about fuel dye but I reckon it would simply dye the tanks inside and i still wouldnt know the level.
Running out of fuel would seriously mess up my day
Thinking back I seem to remember that there was a product called something like fuel balls that floated on top of the petrol, I think it was some American forum that I read, it they were using them to easily see how much they had left in their transparent plastic tanks when doing long rides in the desert

I've Googled but cant find them...anyone ?
Its a trick............get an Axe
bill_qaz

Re: Balls

Post by bill_qaz »

Asgard

Post by Asgard »

Thanks mate, shame they are transparent though perhaps if I dye them
bill_qaz

Post by bill_qaz »

What about these? try one in petrol first to see if it's ok
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350933866780
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

Had this issue with my old XL.
I used to remove the cap and look into tank to see the level. If I couldn't see any fuel even with sloshing it then it was time to fill up🤔😜😜😜
I did keep an eye on mileage so I always knew roughly when to fill up. Did once go out with 5lt can of fuel to work out as well how many miles I would get riding on reserve before it ran dry.
I only ever ran out of fuel once and have to push the bike but that was due to the first petrol station being closed🤬🤬🤬🤬

You could always try using a Y or T junction fuel line and run one side to the carb/fuel pump. On other side run a clear line up along the side of the tank. This should show the fuel level in the tank.
You may need to cap it but you could possibly get away with feeding it along the caps overflow line.

For a small outlay you could easily see if it would work before properly securing it all.
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

Andi_Archer

Post by Andi_Archer »

Can you not add a dipstick to the fuel filler cap other than that try coloured golf balls though you might want to check the dye doesn't run before putting one in?
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

Sorry to be a bit slow but what vehicle are you talking about?

The manometer sort of solution using an external see through tube sounds good at first but not knowing your reason behind your question we could be miles off the mark.

TTFN

Hugh.
Asgard

Post by Asgard »

Its a small single seat aeroplane Hugh, the external sight tube would be the best solution and is indeed used on other similar types but anything involving modifications especialy if that includes drilling holes into existing features is accompanied by loads of paperwork,inspections and fees to CAA pen pushers

Hence the quest for fuel proof Coloured balls (i'll need a lot of em as the tanks are wide but only about six inches high located in the inboard wing section )
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

Interesting, I guess that the floating stick type of indicator would not be of much use if the tank/s are set up above head height. How about a pre-flight measuring device such as the one shown here;

http://www.mypilotstore.com/mypilotstore/sep/8868

May I ask what is the aircraft that you have and how about some photos? I seem to recall seeing a photo of an aircraft on here, which might have been yours but I can not find it now.

Diverting off topic slightly, last year I flew in this one and I am booked for another flight in a couple of months time. If anybody wants an 'experience' flight then I can really recommend Angus and his Aviat Husky. It must have been a month before I could stop grinning.

https://g-odip.weebly.com

Sadly I most certainly would not recommend the "Helicentre" out of Liverpool and Barton. My sons bought me an experience flight ticket but I could not arrange to book a flight within their time frame (as stated on their form) as my wife had had a serious medical condition plus at the last minute their phone system was not working properly. Their CEO will not even reply to phone calls, emails nor a visit to discuss any form of re-arrangement. My experience with this company has not been a good one :shock:

TTFN

Hugh.

Return to “TECHNICAL”