Go Big and Ride Small

The Things We Ride
clutchspring

Re: Go Big and Ride Small

Post by clutchspring »

I don't think it makes much difference which brand of oil you use .
I think we all get suckered in by the advertising but saying that I'm a fan of Castrol oil & have run my cg125 on Castrol power 1 right from it's first service now over 50,000 miles & never had any troubles with engine.
I also use the same oil in my Varadero 1000 & that's done well over 50,000 miles with no trouble.
But I have a mate with a V Strom 1000 & he just puts any brand in usually from supermarkets or Wilkinson's he's never had any problems either .

Ian.
cozi70

Post by cozi70 »

There was always debate on the c90 forum from folk who even used normal car 10/40 car engine oil in their 90/110cc units, dismissing the evidence that car oil has friction reducers that can affect the wet clutch efficiency and cause slip, possibly down to the sub 125cc low torque .
macvisual

Post by macvisual »

My local Tesco's have this Redex 10w-40 part synthetic oil on offer, 2 litres for £6.50, I believe the Innova Scooter would benefit from it.......and maybe my V-Strom also.

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/p ... /304717868

mac
"Progress is not possible without deviation".

Frank Zappa
macvisual

Post by macvisual »

The new 'Yuasa' battery arrived this morning for the Honda Innova Scooter, an hour on the Optimate charger for a top up then connected up.
Nice to have a button/electric start on a Scooter..!!

Slightly adjusted the air-mixture screw for a better/steady/healthy tick-over. Carried out a simple oil change using spare 10w-40 part-synthetic motorcycle oil from my V-Strom oil stocks.

Next job to remove front brake caliper and strip and clean as binding on badly as Innova was last ridden in 2014.

So far so good, not much to do now for it's MOT etc... Ye Ha

mac

Frank Zappa
Godspeed

Post by Godspeed »

I wouldn’t worry about the electric start, the kick start is soooo easy, it’s almost like just resting your leg down 👍
The Meandering Moustache

Going Big and Riding Small

Honda PCX125 (sports tourer)
Honda Innova ANF125 (Adventure bike)
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Godspeed wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:15 pm I wouldn’t worry about the electric start, the kick start is soooo easy, it’s almost like just resting your leg down 👍
Isn't it lovely when they're like that? On my old YamaGamma (RD350YPVS engine) I used to start it with a gentle descent of my left arm !

Unlike that bastard DR350 that took about 20 full weight kicks (wearing MX boots of course) to start in the cold.
fatowl

Post by fatowl »

daveuprite wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:19 pm
Godspeed wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:15 pm I wouldn’t worry about the electric start, the kick start is soooo easy, it’s almost like just resting your leg down 👍
Isn't it lovely when they're like that? On my old YamaGamma (RD350YPVS engine) I used to start it with a gentle descent of my left arm !

Unlike that bastard DR350 that took about 20 full weight kicks (wearing MX boots of course) to start in the cold.
On my old air-cooled RDs, you could leave it in gear, and dropping it off the centre stand was enough to bump start them, even though the bike only moved forward a few inches. Back in the day, when electric start was novel, it looked really cool.
macvisual

Post by macvisual »

Spent a few hours today getting the Honda Innova 125 ready for it's MOT. The front brake caliper was badly seized up, both brake pistons needed squirts of WD40 and a lot of deep cleaning, seems to be fine now, brake pads virtually new with loads of beef on them as the bike's such low milage! Should have it going for it's MOT next week as too busy at the minute...

ImageInnova 125 by APM Photography, on Flickr

Frank Zappa
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

macvisual wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:42 pm Spent a few hours today getting the Honda Innova 125 ready for it's MOT. The front brake caliper was badly seized up, both brake pistons needed squirts of WD40 and a lot of deep cleaning, seems to be fine now, brake pads virtually new with loads of beef on them as the bike's such low milage! Should have it going for it's MOT next week as too busy at the minute...

ImageInnova 125 by APM Photography, on Flickr
The other advantage of cleaning it so well is that now you can sell your kitchen table and eat off your bike instead.... :D
PHILinFRANCE

Post by PHILinFRANCE »

My C90 has gone :cry: sad but it was for Jax but she couldn't get on with the gear shift so i'm looking at a couple of scooter twist and go types

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy ... NFLu2TxmvA

Return to “BIKES”