France recommendations ?

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
garyboy

Re: France recommendations ?

Post by garyboy »

Benson-1215 wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:56 pm Gary another option to think about is enter and leave by different ports (I prefer a boat to the hole under sea) This way you sample more regions
(And wine) so Dover to Calais outward and maybe St Malo or Le Havre on your return. The later is more expensive but can be booked as an overnight so you can get some sleep before the last leg home to Wales.
MMM … good idea … I must admit I was fixated on a 2-way Chunnel theme. … probably for economic reasons.
I must expand my little mind a bit more.

thanks for the thought, Benson. :)

ps .. how would I book the return .. on the smart phone? by phone? on the website? in person at the port office?
I have been abroad many times in many vehicle types .. but not recently with all this new technology .. not for at least 25 years, come to think of it …. no holiday at all in that time, in fact :? :lol:
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Flintlock

Post by Flintlock »

Another option about going over to /from France - maybe worth looking at the prices for getting a ferry from Wales to Ireland, then a ferry from Ireland to France - could save some time travelling down to the South East of England??
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Flintlock wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:28 pm Another option about going over to /from France - maybe worth looking at the prices for getting a ferry from Wales to Ireland, then a ferry from Ireland to France - could save some time travelling down to the South East of England??
:o .. flippin 'ECK .. wot a CRACKING idea .. 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

cheers Flintlock :D
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

just checked the ferry prices for June ..

Holyhead-Dublin = 50 ish
Pembroke-Rosslare = 50 ish
Ireland to Santander = 200+ ish
Chunnel = 30-40 ish

not as dear as I thought :)

just dreaming atm .. probably do le shuttle to Calais, … not done that yet :) … and fancy travelling down to the auverne .. probably give Ireland a miss this time but never been there yet .
Oop North John

Post by Oop North John »

If doing the tunnel then heading east to the Ardennes area and coming up the coast past Boulogne etc on the way back might be an idea?

Stopped in Boulogne a couple of times, nice little town, and has a very nice restaurant for a final meal in France http://www.chez-jules.fr/
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

for cost and Flexibility you cant beat the Calais boats, Dunkirk similar price but less crossings if you wanna hook North Belgium? The Spanish boats will almost certainly need prebooking and the cost is not far off the cost of riding the route in a reasonably enjoyable fashion, the Boats in between (Normandy etc) are a good choice for the loop effect, probably available short notice and at a medium cost(night crossing best for me). So fix the outward longer crossings with a flexible return via Calais/Dunkirk has always worked for me. Pre-book (for a better price) that return the evening before via phone or net not necessarily direct to the boat company look at all vendors but you can just turn up. For night crossing take your mat and bag off the bike on the boat and sleep on the floor, the Welsh way. Bon Route.
Flipflop

Post by Flipflop »

For a good few years, back in the 90s, my wife and I would have a month in France on our bikes for less than the cost of a 2 week package holiday. Everyone is different and likes different things but this it what we do if we’re on this kind of trip.
Camping municipal, as many have suggested, but also look out for ‘Camping a la ferm’ - farmers are allowed 5 pitches, they often do it for fun and they sell some produce - often very good value and a warm reception.
We take porridge and coffee with us for breakfast.
On the road we stay off the highway, stop in a village about 12 and buy a baguette, cheese or ham, a tomato and some fruit (the shops still close from 12.30 till 2) - then we will stop at a picnic area along the road for lunch. There is always a nice place to stop with a bench - if you’re struggling, head for a village church it will be picturesque with benches outside it. We’ll stop for a coffee in a village cafe between 3/4 pm - a simple small coffee is still between €1 - €1.20 , start having grande cafe and adding milk and it’s over twice the price.
We start looking for a campsite around 5.30 and nearly always see a sign for one along the road, on occasions we have used the sat nav but it wasn’t an option in the early days and we never had a problem. We don’t compromise - if we don’t like the look of the campsite there will be another one down the road - although the standard is generally high in France and we prefer a simple, rustic campsite anyway.
We are usually setting up camp by 6.30. After putting the tent up my wife will ride off to the nearest shop, as she speaks French, for supplies will I finish setting up.
It’s possible to get cold beer nowadays so a cold beer each and a bottle of local red with a meal cooked al fresco.
We stay away from the expensive coast and stick mainly to hilly regions where it’s cooler.
We like the quiet relaxed nature of the French country side but this may not appeal if you’re on your own.
For a blowout try one of the Camping Motos - it’ll cost a few quid but you’ll find good company and fun for a night or 2.

Hope you find some useful info here - have a great time.
PS we go in July - everything is open but not too busy, weather is good but the scenery is green and most important for camping the evenings are still long.
Enjoy
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

totally agree with the last post--I'm usually on a 250 traily and camping so its the N roads for me (and downwards)--I do exactly the same but may use the Garmin to give me a choice of local campsites--again same routine--stop at 5-30, pitch, and off to the superfarkel. Most campsites have a washer and drier so I never overload with clothes--about 4 days worth, recycle and/or buy some stuff in the superfarkel and ditch the other worn stuff--you spend most of your time in biking gear so a few T shirts or similar are cheap. I have a rule--bike spares and tools first, then camping gear, and only then clothes in the room remaining. I buy some fruit, croissants etc for breakfast as part of my evening meal shop so always have something on board for the day ahead--but as has been said--a village cafe or similar will keep you fed and watered--and if you see a few workers vans outside a unmarked house then you can be sure that its the menu of the day and a two hour lunch(with wine!). I only ever book a Dover/ Calais return and never make the allotted return time--I'm usually a bit early--and go to the main terminal booking office to re-book--far cheaper than simply turning up at the kiosk. Of course you can mess around on your phone to book stuff but I'm old school--a phone is a phone and if I need more then its a free wifi location--for a quick check on e-mails and the like. Don't plan everything--simply give yourself time to get vaguely from A to B to C and RELAX.
Flipflop

Post by Flipflop »

+1 for the unmarked house with a load of vans outside - you’ll get a 3 course (at least) meal for lunch that will keep you going for the rest of the day.
Also agree about the clothes - you won’t need many: 1 pair of shorts, 1 swimming trunks, a few t-shirts, a fleece, pants and a pair of sandals. That’s the beauty of camping - everyone’s in shorts and t-shirts.
This thread is making me want a long camping holiday - roll on summer :D

Return to “TRAVEL”