France recommendations ?

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
garyboy

Re: France recommendations ?

Post by garyboy »

Elmer J Fudd wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:00 pm Everyone says stick to the D roads, but don't be afraid of using a motorway to get some distance when needed, especially if time is limited or weather closing in. Just pick out what you want to do and make it work.

Places to Visit? .. such as:
Le Lion Verd - Putanges-le-Lac - .
Le Chêne Rond, Coullons -
Sancerre - not far from Coullons,

My only don't would be don't stay in a large city, they are the same the world over, visit them, of course, but stay in a small town or village.
yes .. some good advice.. I hate big cities .. I get an anxiety thing
I will check out your suggestions later .. thankyou :)
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

chunky butt wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:11 am

I'd second that Dave, chartres you can see the spires a long way off, very impressive. If it was me, time depending, have your certain regions you've researched with poi, but be flexible, and book your accommodation on a daily basis. Open the map of an evening, weather depending, make a decision.....ish, and head off, its a huge geographically diverse country. Happy days.
sounds daft but i didnt even think of buying a a book with places of interest :roll:
.. when i went the first time to france, i did not have a mobile phone as not invented, dont think I even had a map .. but I must surely have? youd think I would remember .. it was only half a century ago
yup .. no tidy map, no camera as not had one, no book of places, no list of campings, no breakdown cover, no repatriation, no spare money, no proper jacket and trousers or boots, just a borrowed leaky thin nylon jacket, no proper camping gear, cant remember taking a tent .. but I must have???? .. unless I slept rough .. scratch head and try to think? …… no full licence, so had to use smaller roads, a real pain when there is no fast distance option …. I had a green card and some French franks .. remember them? .. just got on my battered second hand Suzuki 250 two stroke .. and went .. on my own … I felt SO brave
:lol: :lol: :lol:
o .. and it was a ferry crossing at night in a storm :lol: :lol:

o .. a memory just came back :lol: .. i used the youth hostels .. and met loads of young people .. but i was in my mid twenties at the time, and considered a mature person at the hostels :lol: ... my first stop was in montargis yha .. its all coming back now 8-) :lol:
spangle

Post by spangle »

I spent 5 weeks camping in France and Spain this summer. I wasn’t really bothered about site prices so wasn’t particular looking for cheapest, but my average nightly site came in at 13.5€ (which include one night at 42€!).

I didn’t stay on any site that I wouldn’t return to either, except the 42€ gaff in Montblanc (Spain), which was more like a kids adventure park run by French students.

Many municipal sites were 8€ per night and had swimming pool, bar & restaurant.

garyboy wrote:
daveuprite wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:07 am I've never done the AirBNB method, like Chunky has, but I always used to use the tourist offices when touring. Just arrive in a decent sized town by about 5pm and the tourist office (which is usually well sign-posted) will show you through a book of all the local accommodation. You pick a chambre d'hote, hotel or whatever and they will ring them for you and book you in, give you directions etc, and you're sorted for the night.
thanks for the tips Dave … but, as always, I will be on a shoestring budget .. as usual :? :lol: 8-)
I dont think i would even know how to book into a hotel :o
now, kipping on a bench .. yes .. experienced :oops: :lol:
.. mostly `campings` it will be .. as long as not too dear.
.. and that will be bare minimum gear .. or try to be :oops:
but thanks for the advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
vRSG60

Post by vRSG60 »

Watch out for speed cameras.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Out On The Floor - Keep The Faith
Mactavish

Post by Mactavish »

Rather than rushing south , try the The Granite Rose coast .
St Brieuc , Lannion , paimpol ,perros guirec .
La Rochelle on to Saintes.
Accommodation in middle of Saintes. I found youth hostel with secure parking cheaper than a camp site . Auberge de Jeunesse . They have an auberge in Rennes as well as a few other places . Handy to know.
Billy Bananahead

Post by Billy Bananahead »

Mactavish wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:46 pm Rather than rushing south , try the The Granite Rose coast .
I can recommend that, but not in July/August. The roads will be snied out ( https://www.yourdictionary.com/snie) and best avoided.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Mactavish wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:46 pm Rather than rushing south , try the The Granite Rose coast .
La Rochelle on to Saintes.
Accommodation in middle of Saintes. I found youth hostel with secure parking cheaper than a camp site . Auberge de Jeunesse . They have an auberge in Rennes as well as a few other places . Handy to know.
Thanks for that .. only been to Brittany once

Liked it.. was not really wanting to miss it out
Will fit it on somehow :)
Will check out the auberges
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

ffs .. can't believe this .. I just installed google translate :o
flakkin COOL or what 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

AND the new sat nav ...

bladdy El ... just TOO easy now

bookings, petrol places, asking for campings, costs, way to the next place …..

.. a bit different to the good 'ol days of paper maps getting wet and wind blown, asking directions in broken French, with mistakes etc etc etc. .. not having a clue what the answers were .. asking the shop assistants to take the correct money outta me hand .. etc etc

ps.. I have looked at some of the poi places suggested here by members …. all look really great so far …
thankyou all for your inputs … 8-)
PHILinFRANCE

Post by PHILinFRANCE »

Enjoy Gary , if you do get down here to the little know LOT region try following the River Lot to its source , its a secret ;)
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

PHILinFRANCE wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:54 am Enjoy Gary , if you do get down here to the little know LOT region try following the River Lot to its source , its a secret ;)
Sounds intriguing Phil .. will check it out on Google :)

Return to “TRAVEL”