Great news! USA and Canada Insurance

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
fastrhino

Re: Great news! USA and Canada Insurance

Post by fastrhino »

nathanm wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:13 pm

I reckon SG will be about half the price of Motorcycle Express, if not less, but you'll just have a lower level of cover.

I had a look at the SG website and it would be $475 but I suspect you have to enter from Mexico to get this insurance. the only options for entry are through one of the US/Mexico border points.
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

When we used SG we paid $475 per bike for 6 months cover.
We entered through Houston International airport which SG said was fine.
The cover was $200,000 combined liability for bodily injury and property damage.

That is third party only, no theft cover and no accidental damage cover.
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

fastrhino wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:25 pm I got the quote back, I am glad I was sat down at the time I opened it.

$1942 for Comprehensive, Collision, Trip Interruption and Roadside assistance. This also includes Liability and Medical payments of $2,000.

that quote is based on 6 months and me being 50 year old rider, my bike is a 2016 BMW R1200GSA.
Thanks for sharing that. I, like you, was hoping that it was going to be a lot less than that. We were quoted about $2800 for 6 months for a 2009 F800GS and the same for a 2016 800GS.
Hence we we with SG, which turned out fine for us.
DanielS

Post by DanielS »

This was Fernet who I used last year (and didn't have to make any claims) Underwritten by Progressive Insurance. Although it's an annual policy it's broken down into 4 quarterly payments and I just cancelled when I was finished with my trip. I received a pro rata (Less admin fee) refund.
Annotation 2019-12-17 080530.png
Annotation 2019-12-17 080530.png (66.87 KiB) Viewed 2521 times
nathanm

Post by nathanm »

fastrhino wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:42 am
nathanm wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:13 pm

I reckon SG will be about half the price of Motorcycle Express, if not less, but you'll just have a lower level of cover.

I had a look at the SG website and it would be $475 but I suspect you have to enter from Mexico to get this insurance. the only options for entry are through one of the US/Mexico border points.

No you don't have to enter via Mexico. Once you take out a policy with SG they email you another document that clarifies that you're covered as a non US/Mexican resident. I found Fernando there was pretty good at answering questions.

[email protected]

It was 2018 when we used SG so not sure if things have changed but definitely for the US it covered you for the minimum legal amount, which was mainly $20,00 for US States, but was $200,000 for Canada.

Here's what they sent me.
Texas
Coverage
Policy Coverage:
$30,000 dlls Bodily Injury Liability (BI) per person.
$60,000 dlls Bodily Injury Liability (BI) each accident.
$25,000 dlls Property Damage Liability (PD) each accident.

New Mexico

Arizona
Coverage
Policy Coverage:
$15,000 dlls Bodily Injury Liability (BI) per person.
$30,000 dlls Bodily Injury Liability (BI) each accident.
$10,000 dlls Property Damage Liability (PD) each accident.
California
Coverage
Policy Coverage:
$35,000.00 dlls COMBINED LIABILITY (CL) Combined Bodily Injury (BI) and Property Damage (PD).

Canada
THE MINIMUM LIABILITY INSURANCE REQUIREMENT IN ALL CANADIAN JURISDICTIONS IS CDN$200,000 EXCEPT IN QUEBEC WHERE IT IS CDN$50,000.
Coverage
Policy Coverage:
$200,000.00 dlls COMBINED LIABILITY (CL) Combined Bodily Injury (BI) and Property Damage (PD).

That cover by Fernet looks better Daniel. Did you have to provide them with a US address?
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

If you need to suppply an address for insurance, could you not just use the address of a hotel you are staying at.
This is what I did when I was working in Germany, registering for work/ living etc, before I found more permanent accomadation.
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

qcnr wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:51 am If you need to suppply an address for insurance, could you not just use the address of a hotel you are staying at.
This is what I did when I was working in Germany, registering for work/ living etc, before I found more permanent accomadation.
You could, until you try and make a claim and the insurance company refuse to pay as it’s not your permanent address you’ve used.
Unless of course you declare it to the broker at time of purchase and keep the conversation/emails on record just in case.

Potentially dodgy ground though I’d say.
nathanm

Post by nathanm »

Yes we had that dilemma when the insurance issue first came up following GDPR. Some said use Progressive who ask for a US address. I spoke to Progressive who said they'd be happy to write up a policy and sell it to me, but pressed on the subject of whether they've honour it in the event of a claim and the address given wasn't my permanent address then they couldn't say whether they'd honour it or not. Fernet seem to be using Progressive to underwrite their policies and still ask for a US address. They openly sell it as a policy for foreign nationals though so I guess if it ever got that far you could argue it was their fault for selling you a hooky policy.

It's a real shame that the GDPR thing happened as the original policy through Motorcycle Express, underwritten by Dairyland, wasn't too costly and gave great cover.
paulcobb72

Post by paulcobb72 »

Great news for sure. Sharing this helps give insurance options to many.
nathanm

Post by nathanm »

I've just had an email from Cheryl at Fernet to say they're no longer offering their current policy for foreign nationals but hope to have something new up next year.

So that really just leaves Motorcycle Express and SG.

Return to “TRAVEL”