CRF250 L thread

The Things We Ride
garyboy

Re: CRF250 L thread

Post by garyboy »

on road .. I expect you will find the `L` quite presentable, though the speeds will be lower than you may be used to. The standard tyres I found to be great on tarmac and the bike nippy and light and manoeuvrable .. but dont expect high speeds .. 50-60 cruising is fine, but overtakes will need to be well planned.

as soon as you get the chance to do a trail you will be aghast at the oem tyres in muddy conditions, but if you change them to real knobblies you may be shocked at how easily effective the bike is on easy trails, at low speeds.

when you get used to the bike more, harder trails will show its weight disadvantage and suspension limitations.
But overall a very good package of mediocrity that still adds up to a superb all-rounder.
Slowboy

Post by Slowboy »

Can't fault my Rally, it's carried me very far away with a trip starting in the Picos and ending in Normandy last year and a trip to the Dolomites this year, as well as all the running about in the UK. Yes it's not fast, but it'll happily sit at 70 all day long (real 70, speedo 77) on standard gearing.
Carted all my camping gear to.
I'd agree it's not a GS, but it's still a very capable bike, just not fast. It will get you nearly anywhere and you can pick it up when you bin it.
It's a really good compromise, especially for the engine size. Love mine, even after nearly 20,000 miles
Small bike traveller

CRF250 Rally
C90
C125 Super Cub
OB1

Post by OB1 »

Steve T wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:49 pm(it has to be the L version cos a 29" inside leg rules the Rally version out).

Don't count out the Rally until you've tried it on for size: I had a friend who, although he was around the same height as me, struggled to get on my Tiger 800 along with the GS800, KTM 790 Adventure and 700 Ténéré... he even had trouble on the Triumph Scrambler. All this was due to his legs being a little shorter than mine. When it came to the CRF250 Rally, the combination of the soft suspension and narrow seat meant that he had no trouble. Always try before you buy!
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
Steve T

Post by Steve T »

Well it would appear that me and the '16 plated CRF were not meant to be together :(

Popped into the shop at lunch to be told that it is sold . . . to the guy who watched me crawling under and over it on Friday last week whilst his ratty old BMW thingy (not a 12GS, just an old and ratty BM :D ) go MOTd. Seems my mutterings and observations whilst checking the bike over had an effect ;) . I've been asked to come into the shop again when there is a goodly number of riders mulling about and inspect one of the shops hard to shift bikes, in the hope some geeser will buy it :roll:

I have read all the words about 2017 onward bikes and the advice to try a Rally for size, even if I can only just get my tippy-toes down on the CRF 250L . . . much the same as I am on the F8GS :roll: :D . I fully understand the differences likely when comparing the 250 with larger capacity machines, but having put 4k miles on my 1998, 47bhp (when new) 600cc Transalp this year, I'm no stranger to changes in pace :)

I will attempt to find a Rally version to throw a leg over, but firstly i'd just like to test ride a CRF250.
The same shop has a '15 plated machine from the same home as the '16 plated bike (both are one owner machines!), but the 15 has over 5k miles on it, whilst the 16 had a little over 1k miles on it. Nowt mileage wise I know, but for just £400 notes more I'd have got the '16 plated bike with its larger Acerbis tank and its full GPR exhaust!

The search continues ;)

Steve T

8-)
ZEN DOG

He knows not where he's going, for the ocean will decide
It's not the destination . . . . . . . it's the glory of the ride
Steve T

Post by Steve T »

Eldest son was in Aberdeen today and I asked him to plop his bum on the Rally version that Ecosse have in the showroom.

He was on tippy toes . . . and he's got a longer inseam than I have, so I'm going to guess at the Rally being WAY TO TALL for my stumpy stature.

I know these machines can be lowerred, but I'd need to sit on a lowered one to get an idea of its suitability for me :roll:

As said before, the search continues :D

Steve T

8-)
ZEN DOG

He knows not where he's going, for the ocean will decide
It's not the destination . . . . . . . it's the glory of the ride
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

the Rally is advertised as 1" higher than the L, and I assume this is the case even when the sag is taken up by a rider?
I lowered my L by drilling a hole in the bottom on the rear shock to make it 19mm lower at this point but 3" lower at the extreme rear, put the forks through an inch and put the spring down to min.
I found that the huge engine and bash plate then rubbed the tops and sides of ruts and always bashed on rocks and high points … I once got stuck in a small rut that was just a few inches deep, due to the engine getting jammed in the boggy sides, and this was Miles from anywhere on a blazing hot day (remember them?)

I later raised it all back to spec, and it performed much better, but the legs were dangly !! and nerve wracking when on bad bad trails.
I have come to the conclusion that it is best to buy a trail bike that is std to start and remains so .. with good suspension, high placed engine, low weight, and low seat ……. shame there are not that many about :D
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Beta Alp 4.0?

Suzuki DR350S engine...what's not to like?
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

A very good choice, Richard .. and I am seriously interested … but the 350 is a bit too heavy?, and the 200 a bit too skitty, poor suspension?

I am really fancying the Montessa Cota 4ride .. looked at one in Merthyr the other day .. but the payments are not too helpful, as I have nothing now to part ex

anyone got one to sell and is willing to take a direct debit :D ?? over say 2 or 3 years?
one can but ask 8-) :lol:
johnnyboxer

CRF250 L thread

Post by johnnyboxer »

garyboy wrote:
I am really fancying the Montessa Cota 4ride .. looked at one in Merthyr the other day .. but the payments are not too helpful, as I have nothing now to part ex

anyone got one to sell and is willing to take a direct debit :D ?? over say 2 or 3 years?
one can but ask 8-) :lol:
3 years 0% I thought
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Asgard

Post by Asgard »

Its a lot of money for not a lot of Bike
Its a trick............get an Axe

Return to “BIKES”