Spanish Pyrenees: May 28th - June 1st, 2012

Simon_100

Spanish Pyrenees: May 28th - June 1st, 2012

Post by Simon_100 »

HISS Index

This is the main page for planning the HISS meet. I imagine that as time goes on the topic thread will become very busy with folks enquiring about the meet, planning journeys and – I hope - establishing riding teams!

Although it might look all very formal that's not what I have in mind - I much prefer folks to get together and sort thngs out on the day - but with the distances involved riders have a lot of time and money issues to consider, so the more information I can show the better.

Plus there is the very important factor of the rules and regs for riding trails here in Catalonia, which has its own laws on top of any that apply to Spain in general. It's for this reason that even though I've mapped over 400 kilometers of trails groups - no more than six per group - of riders will have to keep some distance between them to stay on the right side of the law. Anything bigger would bog the whole thing down in permits and permissions - the kind of thing people like me came to Spain to get away from!

SO THE NUMBER OF RIDERS* IS STRICTLY LIMTED TO 36!

Important Update: Closing date is April 30th - after that the Register is closed even if we are not up to the limit. I have to get the route guides printed in one batch and other commitments.

[center]BOOKED SO FAR: 36 so that's it. The HISS 2012 is fully booked - see you next year? (March 24th, 2012)[/center]

* Wives, Sweethearts, Hunks, Significant Others, Sproggs and camp followers in general are more than welcome to enjoy the scene - the location is a fantastic place for all kinds of activity holidays: white water rafting, mountaineering, paragliding, to name but a few . . . and there's always shopping - Andorra is just over an hour away!

So to save a lot of needless repetition I’m using series of posts as points of reference for information about the meet, routes and rides, etc. I’m putting a lot of information up now that may need to be edited from time to time, so I’ll post notices of any major or critical revisions as time goes on.

As I don’t have daily internet access, especially during from November through to April, it would be very helpful if ‘established’ readers of the topic can direct new readers onto these index posts as enquiries come in about things that have already been discussed and planned.

NEW: THE FINAL COUNTDOWN! Schedule of events leading up to the HISS

The Index topics are:
Accommodation – the camp site Updated March 5th, 2012
Essential reading: local laws, riding conditions, safety, rescue, etc.
The routes and rides – overview and general map Updated 19/12/2011
Location, Climate and Travel
Teams and Groups Updated March 8th, 2012
Eating and drinking
Misc

There is a special Index page for The Register which has the 'A' team list and a map of where HISS attendees are based to help teaming up for ferries, etc. - Latest update: February 5th.

By the way: H.I.S.S. stands for High Intensity Sojourns in Spain, as well as following of in the ABR traditions of steam/boiling water related rallies!

Thanks for taking the time to read through all this.

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
Darren

Re: Spanish Pyrenees in May or October 2012

Post by Darren »

Sounds great Simon, definitely interested if I can clear it with the missus.

Darren
“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine

-------------
herman

Post by herman »

Now that appeals to me and mine. B)
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
IntruderWithin

Post by IntruderWithin »

I would as I was just talking about this area for our trip next year.
At times of peace, plan for war.
britfrog

Post by britfrog »

Simon, I dont see us being in competition as what we are offering are two totally different types of tour , just in a similar location. It may well be interesting to see how many if any would be interested in a 2 week trip, one week with you the other on my side of things.
My trip doesnt offer off road riding although there is plenty there for those that want to indulge, my trip is mostly a trip to enjoy roads and do the touristy thing by seeing chateaux , caves , vinyards,gorges etc perhaps a day on the beach certainly an evening meal at a beach restaurant, fantastic scenery etc.
As you know yourself there is so much to see and do in our region thet no two days are the same. My trip is in conjuction with my mairie and my village which as those that came down this year saw it is a very welcoming place, and changed many peoples ideas about the arrogant frogs. If we do end up doing a shared fortnight I must admit that a late June/ July or september/october date would suit me best.
living in the sun, near utopia
PHILinFRANCE

Post by PHILinFRANCE »

I'm in Simon ...well it's only 6hrs south of me and it would be rude not to !!!! Will be watching this topic closely.
As a tag on...for those coming down FR our place is open to all as a stop over, no fees

Phil
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Hi Simon..

put me down for this [usual copouts prevaling]

Phil...now thats a great idea quick blast to yours then rideout over the pyrennes ...

Now where has my "money printer gone".. :laugh: :laugh:

late may is better than october for me..Bank holiday weekend inc would be even better..
Jacqueslemac

Post by Jacqueslemac »

There are two bank holidays at the beginning of June next year, to stretch the old holiday entitlement a little further.
Jim Lovell

Post by Jim Lovell »

Simon, I would love to come over and see you again, depending on dates and finances I hope to make it. But will confirm nearer the time ;)

Here's a little pic of Simon with a view, a charming and more welcoming friend would be hard to find...

2011 trip 137.JPG
2011 trip 137.JPG (82.02 KiB) Viewed 8344 times
Real men ride twins ;-)
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Jim, you're an old smoothy aren't you!

Nigel, thanks - more soon!

OK, I'm making an executive decision: let's go for the late May/early June option - my preferance anyway. (Pat, I know you'll be somewhere in Patagonia then - we'll be thinking of you!)

My Google calendar lists two 'Late Spring' bank holidays in the UK, May 28th and June 4th. Bearing in mind I don't live there, can someobe clarify which, or if so both, of these dates is the 'real' one!

I'm guessing that this is half term too, all the merrier for a few kids along perhaps!

More soon - meanwhile a huge thank you to all for your interst and support!

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain

Return to “ABR Spanish Rally Pyrenees 28th May - 1st June 2012”