Africa Twin for road riding only - opinions?

The Things We Ride
Scott_rider

Africa Twin for road riding only - opinions?

Post by Scott_rider »

What's everyone's thoughts on using the Africa Twin for road riding only? What I mean, is the engine 'satisfying' enough for, say, a spirited rider?
I love the styling but have no intention of taking it off road...and a few of them are now coming down in price and are nearly into my budget. Thanks.
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
byewayrider

Re: Africa Twin for road riding only - opinions?

Post by byewayrider »

It ain't no ktm lol but park your ass on one and give it a good ragging then decide... I thought them bland... Ktm more spirited for sure..
Solo ktm690 euro trail rider
McVicar

Post by McVicar »

If you're going that route, what about the 1200 Crosstourer?
RandG

Post by RandG »

Just traded mine in though it was the adventure sport model. DCT is brilliant, loved it, had it round the Alps in September though it was hard going with it's weight and my short arse. It's not as quick as a gs but then I traded my gs for it so that tells its own story.
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

McVicar wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:25 pm If you're going that route, what about the 1200 Crosstourer?
Yes, I like them but the weight is putting me off. Maybe I'll try one out...
Coppice

Post by Coppice »

Guy Martin has been seen riding his around Cadwell but then he probably got it for free. There's a guy who also laps the nurburgring on one

simonw

Post by simonw »

Scott_rider wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:55 pm
McVicar wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:25 pm If you're going that route, what about the 1200 Crosstourer?
Yes, I like them but the weight is putting me off. Maybe I'll try one out...
Reminds me of one of the funniest things ever written in a motorcycle review, from Ride or MCN, who said something like pushing it around was "like dancing with a tranquilised gorilla"! :-)
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Just don't understand why you would choose that kind of bike as your sole road bike?

These off-road-looking bikes that are actually large, heavy styling exercises are never going to be as good as a proper road / sports bike.

Lots of people buy them because they can only have ONE bike and they want it to be able to tackle a mixture of soft-trails and road work.

But you don't need to compromise. You say you only want a bike for the road. So why compromise when you don't need to?

Get a proper road bike. First decide if your priority is touring or sports, or a bit of both, and then choose from a huge selection of proper road bikes that are not pretending to be dirt bikes. If you don't need long-travel suspension, don't buy it. If you don't need an overburdened RTW monster, don't buy it. If your budget can extend to a s/h Africa Twin then you have loads of dosh for a vast choice of really good road bikes from pretty much any manufacturer you want.
mark vb

Post by mark vb »

You want a bike for road use only. Why not choose a proper road bike? Oh, I almost forgot, the CRF1000 is a road bike dressed up to look like an off-road bike but with a 21" front wheel to compromise it's on-road handling credentials!
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

To be clear...and that’s why I asked the question...I am just interested in what the AT is like on the road because I like the styling...that’s it, nothing else.

I’ve already got a good road bike but fancy a change and I don’t want to go back to sports bikes like FireBlades and Gixxers because I’ve had them all before... 8-)

Maybe it will have to be a GS...an LC version... :shock:

Return to “BIKES”