Dielectric grease, do you use it?

The Things We Ride
HoboBeemer

Dielectric grease, do you use it?

Post by HoboBeemer »

Since the question was raised earlier about the use of ACF50 I have to ask does anyone here use Dielectric Grease?.

I have been following Lyndon Poskitt on the YouTube and he certainly is a very good mechanic, but then again he was working on Fighter jets before heading off on his Dakar and riding dreams.

I have watched most of his videos and especially the one's where he is rebuilding or servicing his bikes, I have noticed he always uses Dielectric Grease on all the electrical connectors on his bike and has said the only place not to use it would be on Fuel injector connectors as the signal to them is very weak.

I have had connectors and the like fail on me in the past due to water and corrosion ingress, is there any reason not to use this stuff whenever I am doing installation work or even to apply during my annual service?.

See approx 09:16 where is shows it being applied.

byewayrider

Re: Dielectric grease, do you use it?

Post by byewayrider »

Yep its good stuff on any electrical connection...its special grease that conducts electric rather than prohibits it...
Solo ktm690 euro trail rider
dibbs

Post by dibbs »

Very good question is that, and i will have to get some of that stuff. I always thought grease was grease!!!! And i didnt know you can get waterproof grease! Again i thought all grease by its very nature was waterproof!

Whilst we're on the subject of good stuff, can anybody tell me where i can get contact cleaner. I've seen A lot of vids where our American friends use contact cleaner, but i can't find it here, so what do we call it and where can i get some please?
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

Yes use it.
This time of year I always strip bike down give it a good service and whilst it is bits all the connections get separated cleaned with GT85. I have found the GT85 has a higher pressure than Wd40 so cleaning out all the grit and grime is easier. check the connections are good and solid, then a good coating of dialectric grease.

And finally finish of the whole bike with a coating of ACF50
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Come on Dibbs :o ...its just compressed air and iso stuff google it...electric contact cleaner....similar to carb kr brake cleaner it evaporates and leaves no grease behind ti contaminate connectilns...gt85 has ptfe aka teflon...sliipy stuff... :lol: okay ob cables and chains nut id not use it on connections...

I use that watef ptoof grease to repack bearings every time wheels are off , 5mins job with a dentist tooth pick to remove seals
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Tramp wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:54 pm Come on Dibbs :o ...its just compressed air and iso stuff google it...electric contact cleaner....similar to carb kr brake cleaner it evaporates and leaves no grease behind ti contaminate connectilns...gt85 has ptfe aka teflon...sliipy stuff... :lol: okay ob cables and chains nut id not use it on connections...

I use that watef ptoof grease to repack bearings every time wheels are off , 5mins job with a dentist tooth pick to remove seals
I use marine grease on swinging arm bearings and linkages if they are stripped down too. Couldn't believe how little there was when stripping the Honda rear linkages a couple of years ago

Very much a fan of GT85 these days, but not on leccies other than good for a sticky handlebar switch!
HoboBeemer

Post by HoboBeemer »

I had a tiny sachet I used when putting the bike back together after the clutch swap, just ordered a large tube of Permatex and will apply to the rest of the exposed connectors.

I am all for precautionary measures.
Asgard

Post by Asgard »

One thing to be careful of with silicone based dielectric grease is dont get any on something you might be painting even a ttiny bit , its nearly impossible to remove and you cant paint over it
Its a trick............get an Axe
Mad Hatter

Post by Mad Hatter »

I don't use dialectic grease I just tend to change the pins in the connectors, but that's because I've got boxes filled with connector pins and no dialectic grease :lol:

I'm a big fan of grease though and pretty much everything gets greased to within an inch of its life, wheel bearings I use 2 different types, a low temp normal grease on the inside and red rubber grease on the seals and mating faces, the red rubber grease is waterproof and doesn't melt so if the low temp stuff does melt it won't all dribble put but should work its way into the bearings. I do this every time a wheel gets taken off except for if I'm on the trail and I very rarely have to change them even on my KTM which is notorious for eating wheel bearings.

All my engine gaskets get a coating of red rubber grease as well to help them seal and stay put when I'm putting it back together, helps of you have to immediately take the thing apart, and every bolt apart from cylinder bolts or things specified not in a manual to have anything on them get copper slip, easier for it not to stick than get it heated up to get it out after.

I love gt85 its amazing stuff with the PTFE in it and I used to use it for everything especially on the chain, but I had to stop buying it because I love the smell so much it use to disappear far to quickly :lol: but I did find a wd40 one with PTFE in it that seems nearly as good.
prg4967

Post by prg4967 »

I didn’t think dielectric grease was conductive..in fact the opposite..I know it keeps all the rain and shit out of your connections, I was always told to put it all around the connectors but not on the pins directly as it’s not conductive..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “BIKES”