KTM 390 adventure

The Things We Ride
User avatar
HoboBeemer
Posts: 85
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:25 am
Location: Essex
Has thanked: 33 times
Been thanked: 21 times

Re: KTM 390 adventure

Post by HoboBeemer » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:30 pm

Ok, good to know that there will be spoked wheels, bit piss poor it is a "Power part" considering that it is sold as a adventure bike and I would have expected them as standard but hey it is what it is.

So if it is coming in at 6200USD that is about 4800GBP, so I would guess RRP here will be what, 5k?.

It could be a great little bike if you purchased used,.

Adventure Bike Rider New Issue Out Now
catcitrus
Posts: 1635
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:36 pm
Has thanked: 18 times
Been thanked: 224 times

Re: KTM 390 adventure

Post by catcitrus » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:06 pm

HoboBeemer wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:35 pm
I also had the news pop up about this bike today and like many whilst I have a passing interest in it the cast wheel are a absolute deal breaker.

I was "potentially" in the market for one of these to keep abroad out in Asia, esp as the domestic market vehicles are fairly feeble with their offerings but in this current guise not a chance :roll: .

If it was between the KTM and a CRF250L, the Honda wins Hands down.

Hopefully they have one at the NEC to have a look at and I will pester the sales reps ref spoke wheels and the future potential of a R model...

FWIW That Husqvarna is lovely!!!!!
if you check out original Dakar footage then there are BMWs competing with cast wheels--and WRC run with cast wheels, not spoked!--if the wheel is correctly designed then whats the problem?--they should be able to take a ding without cracking etc--and an enduro or MX bike IT IS NOT. Are there horror stories out there from 310 GS owners, 390 Duke owners etc about fragile wheels?--how many people are going to be crashing over boulders every day and slamming into rock edges?--at least with tubeless cast wheels punctures are a quick and easy repair. This pigeon holing of the spec of a so called adventure bike is driving me mad and is basically bullshit. The only reason I can see for changing to the standard 18/21 is for tyre choice--but lately that has become largely irrelevant as tyre manufacturers have responded essentially to the vast Asian market. The price will be just shy of 5.5 k (official KTM)--and that is VERY competitive. Against the Honda its a 250 versus a 390--and that 390 engine now has less warranty than Austrian built stuff (unofficial KTM source).

Billy Bananahead
Posts: 645
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:28 pm
Has thanked: 55 times
Been thanked: 125 times

Re: KTM 390 adventure

Post by Billy Bananahead » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:09 pm


User avatar
HoboBeemer
Posts: 85
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:25 am
Location: Essex
Has thanked: 33 times
Been thanked: 21 times

Re: KTM 390 adventure

Post by HoboBeemer » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:27 pm

catcitrus wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:06 pm
HoboBeemer wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:35 pm
I also had the news pop up about this bike today and like many whilst I have a passing interest in it the cast wheel are a absolute deal breaker.

I was "potentially" in the market for one of these to keep abroad out in Asia, esp as the domestic market vehicles are fairly feeble with their offerings but in this current guise not a chance :roll: .

If it was between the KTM and a CRF250L, the Honda wins Hands down.

Hopefully they have one at the NEC to have a look at and I will pester the sales reps ref spoke wheels and the future potential of a R model...

FWIW That Husqvarna is lovely!!!!!
if you check out original Dakar footage then there are BMWs competing with cast wheels--and WRC run with cast wheels, not spoked!--if the wheel is correctly designed then whats the problem?--they should be able to take a ding without cracking etc--and an enduro or MX bike IT IS NOT. Are there horror stories out there from 310 GS owners, 390 Duke owners etc about fragile wheels?--how many people are going to be crashing over boulders every day and slamming into rock edges?--at least with tubeless cast wheels punctures are a quick and easy repair. This pigeon holing of the spec of a so called adventure bike is driving me mad and is basically bullshit. The only reason I can see for changing to the standard 18/21 is for tyre choice--but lately that has become largely irrelevant as tyre manufacturers have responded essentially to the vast Asian market. The price will be just shy of 5.5 k (official KTM)--and that is VERY competitive. Against the Honda its a 250 versus a 390--and that 390 engine now has less warranty than Austrian built stuff (unofficial KTM source).

I think in my situation where I would be in a location where getting hold of copper grease takes 4 weeks I will want a wheel that I at least have the opportunity to repair or true. It does seem people are asking the question ref the wheels and I concur I do not require 21/18 wheels as you rightly posted tyres are now available in 19"/17" and I believe that is the size of the upgrade option offered by KTM?. I could only imagine this bike comes with Cast wheels as standard due to weight saving for the spec sheet and manufacturing cost knowing people will purchase the spoked option if it will be heading off piste.

If the general consensus now is that cast wheels are the way to go if riding on terrible roads and with lower pressure for extended periods of time then so be it, although I did notice most people who run their CB500X off road do the spoked conversion. I personally would have expected the spoked option to give some flex and comfort within the wheel structure and also be more durable longer term due to this?.

Reference with it being against the Honda, this was within the Asian market as stated, A CRF is 3500GBP out of the door there, current KTM RC390's are between 5000-6200GBP so obviously far more and considered premium within their market. I am awaiting to see the current Asian price for said bike as I believe KTM now have a plant within the region at a location called Laguna in the Philippines if the reports are correct?, this may or may not equate to cheaper prices for the Asian market but only time will tell..

If I can get a 390 with spoked wheels for around 4500-5000GBP there then I will certainly be considering it, if not then I buy the CRF knowing I have decent parts back up and generous aftermarket options..


Regards

Wonkyconk
Posts: 231
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:56 pm
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 25 times

Re: KTM 390 adventure

Post by Wonkyconk » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:50 pm

HoboBeemer wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:30 pm
Ok, good to know that there will be spoked wheels, bit piss poor it is a "Power part" considering that it is sold as a adventure bike and I would have expected them as standard but hey it is what it is.

So if it is coming in at 6200USD that is about 4800GBP, so I would guess RRP here will be what, 5k?.

It could be a great little bike if you purchased used,.
6200 usd usually equates to 6200 gbp unfortunately

dave h
Posts: 225
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:49 pm
Has thanked: 61 times
Been thanked: 68 times

Re: KTM 390 adventure

Post by dave h » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:03 pm



good luck repairing a dented rim with a tubeless tyre plug kit

if your only using the bike for light green lanes please ignore,

dave.

catcitrus
Posts: 1635
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:36 pm
Has thanked: 18 times
Been thanked: 224 times

Re: KTM 390 adventure

Post by catcitrus » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:06 am

Wonkyconk wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:50 pm
HoboBeemer wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:30 pm
Ok, good to know that there will be spoked wheels, bit piss poor it is a "Power part" considering that it is sold as a adventure bike and I would have expected them as standard but hey it is what it is.

So if it is coming in at 6200USD that is about 4800GBP, so I would guess RRP here will be what, 5k?.

It could be a great little bike if you purchased used,.
6200 usd usually equates to 6200 gbp unfortunately
please see my post above--KTM official source--£5499 I like the spoked versus cast comparison---it really depends what you are doing with the bike---but a trail bike IT IS NOT--but should handle smoothish dirt with ease and also have good road manners--a true adventure bike that you could actually pick up !!!--I really think this whole "adventure" label is a crock of SH1t. Its a road bike entirely suitable for the vast Asian market and some dodgy dirt roads--its design is NOT driven by this UK backwater.

OnHellas
Posts: 2169
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:12 pm
Location: On the road somewhere.
Has thanked: 244 times
Been thanked: 596 times

Re: KTM 390 adventure

Post by OnHellas » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:53 am

Well I reckon that it looks good and at £5500 it seems a lot of bike for the money.

The range of accessories, including spike wheels, looks like it will be extensive and available from the off......time will tell.

It won’t be for me....but I know someone that’s looking forward to The Bike Show next week.....

minkyhead
Posts: 4023
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:31 pm
Has thanked: 333 times
Been thanked: 520 times

Re: KTM 390 adventure

Post by minkyhead » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:06 am

i think it aimed suarly at the bmw310 /versys market ....and thats a shame

170 kgms is getting into the heavy catagory for sure ..smaller wheels dont help but the 6.8 suspension movment is far too small

i accept its not supposed to be a trail bike but ...its a a lot too roady for my tastes ,,,

my take its a brand entry machine for new /a2 riders designed to entice them later to the 1090/1190/1290 class...7 yeras ago the talk was its a ccm slayer ..wait for the 390 blah blah ....7 years later this is what they come up wirh

pretty dissapointing i think
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map

User avatar
Monster
Posts: 648
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:33 pm
Has thanked: 20 times
Been thanked: 72 times

Re: KTM 390 adventure

Post by Monster » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:35 pm

I think that CCM slayed themselves at bit in the meantime LOL

Sure some may not agree ... but imagine plenty will

Lots of 450s for sale and not moving
If a Hammer don't fix it - you have an electrical problem

Post Reply

Return to “BIKES”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], Google Feedfetcher and 76 guests