recomend me a laptop?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Tramp

recomend me a laptop?

Post by Tramp »

okay ....ive 12MNTHS OLD hp 15 pavilion 15da0594sa

and its shit so slow and the hardrive is in the dark ages always chuging away even on basic things ..its upto date on windows 10 upgrades ..

I need something that can smoothly run mapsource and basecamp aand basic goggle map stuff via internet, i had a old hp xp which till it died was flawless and so fast...mine has 1tb harddrive with bugger all on as im always using the superior samsung tab A6 lol..

i dont need anytrhing special for editing so thought the above would be okay but everytime i use mapsource or basecamp doing routes or tracks with google maps on firefox it just halts....

cheers frustrated freedy.. :lol:
daryl

Re: recomend me a laptop?

Post by daryl »

Swap the mechanical hard drive for an SSD, should be £50-100 for parts depending on how much space you want.
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Do you honestly think the hard rive is problem Daryl? It's just got 4gb ddr4 2133 ram maybe 16gb would help it wake up lol...

The thing has been a pain in the ass since I bought it..
daryl

Post by daryl »

As always difficult to tell without actually experiencing it, but I can say I switched to an SSD from a mechanical hard drive in a 2010 Macbook about 3 years ago and it felt like a new machine.

More RAM is always helpful so it might be worth upgrading that whilst your in there (price depending)
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

thick as sch1t about tech stuff …. but I would have thought that your hp was more than sufficient for your needs. It is a higher spec than my hp laptop and that handles google maps fine ! .. not tried it on mapping stuff like basecamp tho.

sucking eggs … have you tried cleaning the disc with the std defrag thing?
have you tried using another OS like bing thing, or google ??

perhaps its not the pc .. perhaps its the apps.

are the apps designed for laptops .. as opposed to mobiles ???
DanielS

Post by DanielS »

Tramp. What CPU and RAM has it got? (Right click on the "Start" icon in the lower left corner, and click the "System" option) it'll show you something like this:
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (83.11 KiB) Viewed 3440 times
If you let me know the "Processor" and "RAM" I may have something lying around that's better.

Edit: I've just seen you said it's only got 4GB RAM? It's also probably an i3-7100U according to https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c06156550

If you can wait till Friday I can check what I have and get back to you? Does it need to be a 15 inch, or would a 14 inch suffice?
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Yep it's a i3 with std 4gb ram 1 tb hard drive.. I've just done a disk lean up and got rid of 5.5gb it's clicking away tonight..

My old hp laptop was 15inch with athelon and it was fine for me... I do know sometimes processors and ram types don't match... But for what extra ram in ddr4 costs a cheaper replacement laptop would work then I'd reinstall and sell this heap of shit on as its as new in box lol... Used maybe 15 times..

Cheers Daniels or the help and advice..
Last edited by Tramp on Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
lmg

Post by lmg »

The SSD upgrade is the single best improvement to the performance of a laptop. I had an unusable Intel Centrino based laptop with 4GB of ram which, after installing a 120GB SSD (which cost under £20) now runs Windows10 perfectly reasonably. It starts up really quickly, does all my web browsing, word/excel works, emails, etc. Probably wouldn't do games very well, but at 50 years of age, I've left that sh*t behind.
Cheers,

Leigh (LMG)

Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

Back in 2012/13 I bought a MacBook Air 13inch screen on the recommendation of one of my sons. It took me a while to change my thought process from Windows but Apple provide free classes in their stores and online. Very helpful, professional and friendly.

What I really like and appreciate is the excellent service and support from the store staff and online. The downside might be the limited range of software programs for 'mapping' exercises but as I rarely use such and since I can just about make ViewRanger work then that is not really a problem for me. There probably are such programs available but I just don't understand them as most are simply far too complex for my little brain.

Only last week I was making a compilation presentation on iMovie. I got stuck so went into Apple Manchester, the place was heaving, on that occasion there no technicians available 'on demand' so they simply booked a 'phone call support engineer. At the allotted time a chap 'phoned me at home, from the USA at no cost to myself, and he sorted the solution in hardly no time at all. Brilliant, thank you Jeff.

TTFN

Hugh.
Teflon Jnr

Post by Teflon Jnr »

I'd personally update the ram as windows uses around 2gb just to run leaving you with 2gb for everything else.yes ssds are great in terms of read/write speeds but won't make an overall big gain.changing both at the same time ram and ssd would make for a better machine you'd have to do a fresh install of windows or clone your original drive etc
Jesus rides a Harley and the devil wears prada

🇩🇪 🇧🇪 🇬🇧 🇮🇪 🇫🇷 🇮🇲 🇱🇺

Return to “THE PUB”