Cruise control on a bike - what are our thoughts?

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Hoggyf

Re: Cruise control on a bike - what are our thoughts?

Post by Hoggyf »

Got it now on my tiger 800 XRX and wish I'd had it a long time ago, I've had issues with a numb thumb on the right hand for yrs and to the end I was considering giving up riding, just done 2500 miles in a week through France and zero issues with the thumb, used the cc all the time and it allows you to unclamp your right hand.
Wouldn't buy a bike without it now. I also use it loads in cars and my van, any A road or motorway, unless it's very busy
Then:
Honda MB5, Honda MBX125, 350LC, RGV250, MTX125, GasGas JTX250, CM 644 DS, BMW R1100S, Beta Rev3 250, Beta Rev4T, Honda XL700V Transalp, BMW F800 GS, Kawasaki Super Sherpa
Now:
Montesa 4RT, Triumph Tiger 800, Beta Alp, Montesa 315
ibgary

Post by ibgary »

Like the CC in the cage, I only use it on highways at sustained speeds. Nice, but unnecessary.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

tempesc

Cruise control on a bike - what are our thoughts?

Post by tempesc »

Another believer here. Had it on my last two bikes and crossed bikes off my short list that did not have it at my last change (Africa Twin and Verys - think both have it now).

Good for speed control but also on motorways generally. Easy to cover big miles and to use just to relax your right hand/shoulder. Perfect for European touring.

Not buying the ‘can’t use it on busy roads’ argument, I do all the time. You can moderate your speed with the cruise control +\- buttons just like you do with the throttle grip. If you are riding ‘ride by wire’ that’s what you are doing in effect anyway!

Your heated grips analogy is a good one.
Last edited by tempesc on Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Godspeed

Post by Godspeed »

I’ve got a manual cruise control that is like a clamp on the handlebar that you set your speed with your throttle and then it rests on the brake lever. Mightily invaluable on 125cc bikes as they are a bit vibey so it gives you a chance to rest your hand for a bit when travelling multiple miles.
Benefit of this clamp version is you can take it on any bike
The Meandering Moustache

Going Big and Riding Small

Honda PCX125 (sports tourer)
Honda Innova ANF125 (Adventure bike)
dazcoates

Post by dazcoates »

I have it on my tiger 800 , used it a few times on longish motorway rides but in all honesty in the uk you are constantly having yo speed up/ slow down due to congestion. If it wasn't already fitted it isn't something I'd ask for.
So far in 18 months , waste of time.
Chris S

Post by Chris S »

Thanks for all your feedback.
Magnon

Post by Magnon »

Surely only applies to motorway use. I find it useful in the car but never use it on the bike, mostly because I rarely use motorways these days and if I do, it’s usually just for short stretches bypassing town centres.
Tricuspid

Post by Tricuspid »

anthony29040 wrote:keyless ignition is a far better option in my opinion,but someone will have something to say about that.
Ive got keyless and it’s a pain, I can never remember which pocket the keys are in or if I’ve left them in the garage door!
anthony29040

Post by anthony29040 »

Tricuspid wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:59 pm
anthony29040 wrote:keyless ignition is a far better option in my opinion,but someone will have something to say about that.
Ive got keyless and it’s a pain, I can never remember which pocket the keys are in or if I’ve left them in the garage door!
love mine ,keys in pocket and forget about them.never left them in the garage.
Chris S

MYO

Post by Chris S »

PA140003.jpg
PA140003.jpg (115.12 KiB) Viewed 3613 times

Return to “TECHNICAL”