Fitting heated grips.

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
nickoff

Fitting heated grips.

Post by nickoff »

I recently purchased a second hand set of heated grips for my Vee Strom. Before fitting the Oxford grips I connected them directly to the battery to try them out. The grips heated up ok but just kept getting hotter and hotter even though I kept pressing the - button on the controller. The controller has 5 lights on it which should indicate which setting it is on. None of the lights lit up. Is the controller stuffed or does anyone think that there is another reason?
Thanks for any advice, Nick
Apophis

Re: Fitting heated grips.

Post by Apophis »

sounds like the Second hand set were for sale for a reason mate the controller is probably duff if both hand grips work get yourself a new controller and you should be golden

https://www.oxfordproducts.com/motorcyc ... ontroller/
Every day is an adventure
nickoff

Post by nickoff »

They actually came off a bike that was being broken up due to a smashed engine case. I will try one or two things later today and if not working then see if I can get my money back. I've already been in touch with the chap who sold them and so far he seems ok. But then again I've not asked for a refund, yet.

Nick.
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

I seem to recall problems with the Oxford controller being reported on here in the past.

Perhaps the previous owner might be able to claim for a replacement controller under warranty or goodwill from Oxford.

TTFN

Hugh.
nickoff

Post by nickoff »

Hopefully sorted the problem. I gave the unit a good heating up with the wife's hair dryer, apparently they can get damp in them if left standing. Seems to have fixed the controller as all settings now operate. Just got to get it all fitted to the bike now and hope they work for the upcoming Ecky Thump Rally.

Nick.
Elmer J Fudd

Post by Elmer J Fudd »

So you go out in the rain and your grips could overheat?

I would get rid of them myself, however if you must fit them, add an isolator switch so they can quickly be turned off if the controller fails.
nickoff

Post by nickoff »

Elmer J Fudd wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:02 pm So you go out in the rain and your grips could overheat?

I would get rid of them myself, however if you must fit them, add an isolator switch so they can quickly be turned off if the controller fails.
If I've paid 25 quid for something I dont just get rid of it. :lol: I have fitted an isolator switch although at the moment it's under the seat : :o -) Will sort it in the next couple of days.

Nick.
lancashirelad

Post by lancashirelad »

I got a new set of Oxford Advanced Touring grips for £50 of someone who got them free with an MCN subscription :D
***just like Britney Spears oops I did it again……sold the Scrambler & as of now there may not be a replacement***
Agent Orange

Post by Agent Orange »

Nic I have used these type heated membranes on my old TA to good effect. Really good plus you can put your old grips back on.
https://picclick.co.uk/Universal-Motorc ... 55724.html

Return to “TECHNICAL”